Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
NXR
Winnebago Owner

2019 Vista LX 35F Slide problems on brand new Winnebagos?

We're looking for our first Class A, upgrading from a 10-foot pop-up.

We found a 2019 Vista LX 35F at a local dealer and when they went to extend the slides the front one went in and out OK but the back slide (bedroom) had a problem. The back part moved out and the front part never moved and the slide wedged itself against the wall solid.

Today we went to the dealer and looked at a 2019 Adventurer 35F. You guessed it. The front slide moved OK. The back slide started to extend but only the back part. This time the salesperson was watching and stopped it before it jammed. As he moved the switch we could hear the front motor click and give a momentary whir before it stopped.

The salesperson said they had several come in recently that needed resynced but this doesn't feel like a sync problem. The front half of the bedroom slide never moved on either one. Of course, the dealer doesn't prep them until they're sold.

We told the salesperson that we'd like to come back on Sunday to test drive the Adventurer and the slides needed to work flawlessly. He said he didn't know if the service department would get to it by then. We told him that if we came down and the slides even hiccupped we were through. I also told him to tell the service manager the same thing, that the service department will be killing a six-figure sale. I know they don't care because someone else will just buy it but whatever.

Is this in any way "normal"? Not the behavior of the dealership, the behavior of the slides when brand new.

Thanks,
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No, not normal. Chances are it's just a loose connector on a slide controller or slide motor. No damage would have been done from the situation, if it works the next time you drive and check out the features on that particular one.

Note the Adventurer is just last year's Sightseer or Vista LX re-named, depending on the model, and priced a LOT higher than before. If you can find a 2018 Sightseer/Vista LX 35F with the same floor plan consider it and save huge bucks.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Randy. That's reassuring. The 2019 Adventurer 35F is on sale until the end of March due to a manufacturer's rebate and it's at $116,900.

The 2019 Vista LX 35F and the Adventurer 35F, having looked at both this week, have some differences I saw:
  • Full body pain on the Adventurer
  • No propane oven on the Adventurer because it's now a drawer and the microwave is now a microwave/convection oven
  • There is a full-length mirror in the bedroom
  • 6-way power driver seat (but no heat, sadly)
  • The dinette and couch definitely felt better and not rock-hard
  • And my favorite, the entry handle is acrylic and lit internally
But yeah, definitely not worth an 18% price difference to us.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

And I would add that you should find another dealer. The first problem I see is that the dealer is doing zero prep on new units before showing them. This is a sign that they have little respect for the customer. Anytime I have encountered that, I have gone elsewhere. Add to that their plan to deliver a new RV without fixing a known problem, and I would start running. If their attitude toward the customer is that bad before the sale just imagine what it will be like once they have their money.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Agreed, that's the conclusion we've already come to. Too bad because their pricing is very good but the aggravation afterwards will make that memory go away rapidly.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Something you should include in your price calculations is $2000 - $3000 worth of suspension mods to make the motorhome drive comfortably on the highway. Most gas powered motorhomes are built on Ford F53 chassis which more often than not need some work to make them handle properly. After a test drive in which we almost got blown off the road by passing trucks, we had the dealer include a steering stabilizer and rear sway bar in our deal.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Something you should include in your price calculations is $2000 - $3000 worth of suspension mods to make the motorhome drive comfortably on the highway. Most gas powered motorhomes are built on Ford F53 chassis which more often than not need some work to make them handle properly. After a test drive in which we almost got blown off the road by passing trucks, we had the dealer include a steering stabilizer and rear sway bar in our deal.
Personally I found that the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) well documented on IRV2.com which is free or minimal cost if you don't do your own labor plus a Steering Stabilizer at cost well under $ 1000 ( part is $ 600 ) is all that most people need to get comfortable.

Suggest you start with these and only do other mods like a rear track bar if you are not satisfied.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, folks. When we drove the '19 it actually was pretty stable. On the highway we got passed by a tanker truck and a travel trailer and barely felt it. The crosswinds were pretty stiff, causing flags to be fully unfurled. I was pleasantly surprised. When I was sitting in the back I definitely felt some constant sway and porpoising but not too bad. The worst part was the constant back and forth on the steering wheel. Tha would get quite fatiguing.

I was thinking SumoSprings and a steering stabilizer to start. May I ask which mods and which vendors you used? I'd added in $2K as well, based on what I've read elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Mod #1: Cheap Handling Fix, Front sway bar Vendor: Did it myself Cost $0

Mod #2: AirTabs mounted across rear sides and top of RV. Improves handling by making RV more aerodynamic. see: airtabs.com Vendor: Did it myself Cost: $ 150

Mod #3: Cheap Handling Fix, Rear sway bar Vendor: Did it myself Cost $ 0

Mod #4: Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer. Improves drive-a-bility. Allows driver to maintain control and come to a safe stop if a front tire suddenly loses pressure. Vendor: Did it myself Cost $ 550

Personally I have had no issues with suspension bottoming out ever, which is the main thing IMO SumoSprings would address, so have never considered that mod.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The other thing to plan on is a front alignment with the RV packed for a trip. I couldn't believe what a difference that made in eliminating that loosey-goosey steering feeling. I still have a steering stabilizer installed which also helps with the steering feel. To date, I have the following mods on my 2018 Vista:

Roadmaster rear sway bar
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
CHF on the front sway bar.

I am sure that others will disagree, but I view sway bar mods and not the Sumo Springs as the correct answer for sway issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
NXR
Winnebago Owner

I've been avidly reading here and over at iRV2 and it seems to be a 50-50 split between Safe-T-Plus and RoadMaster for the sway bars and stabilizer. The one thing the SumoSprings seemed to add was some dampening to the porpoising in addition to sway reduction but I'd probably do that last due to the cost.

The rocking while getting passed by a similarly-sized vehicle was very low and it made me wonder whether the '19s were getting the CHF as the factory setting now but I did not crawl underneath to check.

Thanks for the reminder on the AirTabs. That's also on my list but I've rarely read about them. I was thinking they would be more for drag reduction and it's good to hear they could help with the control ability, which makes sense.

Have you heard of Tyron Tire Bands, specifically their MultiBand? www.tyron-usa.com They're supposed to keep the tire from coming off the rim if you get a blowout, as you slow down and turn to clear the road. They somehow add a limited runflat capability.

And yes, a tire pressure monitoring systems for both pressure and temperature is at the very top of the list.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Team

We have the 24,000 lb chassis. I got the Roadmster steering stabilizer first. Helped a lot with the sawing back and forth on the wheel. Helped some with trucks passing too and cross winds.

Added SumoSprings all around next. They helped with control over all. Tightened up all motions. Helped with roll a little. The ride may be rougher but only at the bumpstops. Not objectionable at all.

Lastly I added the Roadmaster Rear Anti-Roll Bar. Very nice addition. Lots more control in turns. From low speed 90 degree turns on the street to high speed transitions on the highway.

I’m pretty much done adding things. I can drive comfortably even in crosswinds many times one-handed.

Sometimes I think airbags rather than SumoSprings would have been better. And the Kelderman Suspension looks even better. But it’s easier to spend $1000 here and $1000 there than to spend $5,000 all at once.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that detail. It definitely helps.

Ray
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Vista LX 35 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

We found a 2019 Vista LX 35F at a local dealer and when they went to extend the slides the front one went in and out OK but the back slide (bedroom) had a problem. The back part moved out and the front part never moved and the slide wedged itself against the wall solid.

Today we went to the dealer and looked at a 2019 Adventurer 35F. You guessed it. The front slide moved OK. The back slide started to extend but only the back part. This time the salesperson was watching and stopped it before it jammed. As he moved the switch we could hear the front motor click and give a momentary whir before it stopped.

The salesperson said they had several come in recently that needed resynced but this doesn't feel like a sync problem. The front half of the bedroom slide never moved on either one. Of course, the dealer doesn't prep them until they're sold.

We told the salesperson that we'd like to come back on Sunday to test drive the Adventurer and the slides needed to work flawlessly. He said he didn't know if the service department would get to it by then. We told him that if we came down and the slides even hiccupped we were through. I also told him to tell the service manager the same thing, that the service department will be killing a six-figure sale. I know they don't care because someone else will just buy it but whatever.

Is this in any way "normal"? Not the behavior of the dealership, the behavior of the slides when brand new.

Thanks,
We bought a 2019 Vista 35F and have had no problems at all, it is an awesome unit and I wouldn’t buy anything else. Sounds like it needs an adjustment and should still be under warranty good luck
Swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Ray,

Best of luck on your transformation from a popup to a Class-A! We did the same. Give me a call and I'll relate some key learnings. But, to the point...

We have a Class-A, 2013 Itasca 26P, 2 slides, all bells, and whistles, (~26K mi) which we are just about to put on the market. Included is a 2013 WRX Subaru (13K mi) which we tow. There is nothing wrong with either vehicle. In fact, there are lots of suspension/air shock upgrades which make RV-driving much more pleasant.
The only problem is us - getting older.

Haven't thought too much about price. Make us an offer.

Best wishes,
Carter
802 355-1373
ckaanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #16
NXR
Winnebago Owner

That's a unique approach, Carter.

Unfortunately we need something larger for our family. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
For sure. Added both and then Sumo springs. Made such a huge difference. Just do it up front and don’t go through the white-knuckle phase of thinking you’re going to be blown of off the road. Love driving my Sunstar 32YE finally!!
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We got the 2019 Vista LX 35f, and it has full body paint. Love every bit of it, including the lit handle!
Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Thanks,
After you purchase the thing you will be hard pressed to get any other dealer to service the unit. There may be an exception now and then. But we could not get other dealers to even look at our unit when the slide did not function right.
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, ems, slide, problems