Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavemcc View Post
Our punch list was about 12 items; nothing major other than water was not going to the washinging machine.
We love the Ideal-Rest so far; no problems but we love FIRM, HARD mattresses so we turn it up to the highest level
I wonder if Winnebago finally heard the many years of complaining by so many new buyers of their poor quality control and have finally address it. I do hope more folks with new Winne rigs are experiencing the same satisfactory results you are.
About the Ideal-Rest... I don't know if they have changed the design but ours is like sleeping on a hot rock. I am looking for a replacement. Hope to choose one soon. To many choices and conflicting reviews. Hope your sweet dreams continue for many years to come.
Happy trails.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #22
Site Team

Rick, maybe junction City is doing a better job. What with all the Country Coach employees. Horizons are only made in Oregon.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Or maybe quality control was never bad and it was just the perception of the few -

I have a 2013 and I have absolutely no complaints on quality. It's top notch in construction and build.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Or maybe quality control was never bad and it was just the perception of the few -

I have a 2013 and I have absolutely no complaints on quality. It's top notch in construction and build.
Good for you. Try going to Forest City for service. The parking lot is always full and most of the folks are trying to get punch list things repaired that the dealer blotched or couldn't fix.

At the GNR, a couple of years ago, I was on a tour of the furniture division. The guide was the department head. I asked hip how they did there QC. He proudly stated that each employee was responsible for their own quality control. That seems a bit daring to me.

I have been to both service centers and QC issues were the main reason most of the rigs were brought in.
This 2011 I have, bought used, has had several QC issues that I have resolved or I am just living with. We had the cabinet over the 'J' couch detach from the ceiling on one end. There is no structure in the slide roof for it to attach to. It is screwed into the luan and sheet aluminum of the ceiling. Nothing else. Have other cosmetic issues that we are living with. None should have left the factory. Engineering should have never allowed this cabinet to be mounted as they did. The window valance was the only support when I saw the problem and the screws attaching it had damaged the wall by being force down the wall board.
You, fellow Winnebago owner, are in the minority I am thinking. Junction City is you saving grace. They produce a fraction of the coaches a year that Forest City does.

Happy trails and adventures.
Rick
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Good for you. Try going to Forest City for service. The parking lot is always full and most of the folks are trying to get punch list things repaired that the dealer blotched or couldn't fix.

At the GNR, a couple of years ago, I was on a tour of the furniture division. The guide was the department head. I asked hip how they did there QC. He proudly stated that each employee was responsible for their own quality control. That seems a bit daring to me.

I have been to both service centers and QC issues were the main reason most of the rigs were brought in.
This 2011 I have, bought used, has had several QC issues that I have resolved or I am just living with. We had the cabinet over the 'J' couch detach from the ceiling on one end. There is no structure in the slide roof for it to attach to. It is screwed into the luan and sheet aluminum of the ceiling. Nothing else. Have other cosmetic issues that we are living with. None should have left the factory. Engineering should have never allowed this cabinet to be mounted as they did. The window valance was the only support when I saw the problem and the screws attaching it had damaged the wall by being force down the wall board.
You, fellow Winnebago owner, are in the minority I am thinking. Junction City is you saving grace. They produce a fraction of the coaches a year that Forest City does.

Happy trails and adventures.
Rick
Again - perceptions. I've been to the service center, taken the tours, been to GNR, and don't have the same read as you. Our FB page members often announce that when they arrrive at the FC service center there is plenty of room even at the hookup sites. Not always, but often, so it would be wrong to say they are always full. Sorry for your woes and the cabinet I hear of continuously, but I think Winnebago does a better than average job building these. There are better, but there are also many a lot worse.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Again - perceptions. I've been to the service center, taken the tours, been to GNR, and don't have the same read as you. Our FB page members often announce that when they arrrive at the FC service center there is plenty of room even at the hookup sites. Not always, but often, so it would be wrong to say they are always full. Sorry for your woes and the cabinet I hear of continuously, but I think Winnebago does a better than average job building these. There are better, but there are also many a lot worse.
I am not going to get into a debate here with you. I am happy for you that you are having a great experience. Yes, I may have exaggerated a bit about "full", but the fact still remains that, unless things have changed in the factory very recently, there is NO quality control department. And, by reading the comments and reviews of past new buyers, punch lists are long and the items on them should have never left the factory without being corrected.
I am a supporter of the consumer, not the brand name. Brand name executives are in the business of making money for their investors. Short cuts in production is often a way of doing this. This is how Winnebago industries survived the rescission of several years back. It is now in the past. Is their quality going to match what they were before going into survival mode? I hope it will or, as of today, is.
I still love my coach, flaws and all. But I do hope the product line is improving in QC. Junction City produced coaches are not the norm for QC in the Winnebago line because of the few numbers of units produced each year, as compared to Forest City.

Happy trails and many of them.
Rick
Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. An interesting thread we started foro sure. Our Horizon 40A cam from Oregon. We have had into the Richmond, VA dealer where we bought it 3 times to get some accessories put on (WiFi extender, Winegard In Motion Satellite dish, electric hose reel, Window and an awning for huge drivers side wiondows in living area. Some done, some not. Parts take forever to arrive or come in and wrong thing ordered. But we also have had some quality control bucket items that are just now getting repaired by the dealer: (a) couple of drawers poorly installed, (b) sliding door from bathroom to bedroom coming apart at top and mounted crooked, (c) JBL subwoofer that is part of the cab sound system won't work (tech has had to call JBL and Winnebago factory -- part on order), (d) paint was chipped on front of coach near windshield -- had to be rpainted and Diamond Shield strip redone (air bubbles in it, so having it redone), (e) tile floor had glue or some other goop on it in several places that is just now starting to come off, (f) only had hot water in bathroom becausecold water link was kinking when bathroom slideout went out, (g) front door had significant wind noise, (h) one of the pull-out foot rests for coach chairs was broken, (i) stabilizer jack had to be replaced because of malfunctioning. Not a huge list but again when you are buying a $470,000 MSRP coach you would expect a little better quaility control at the factory. We have been Tiffin owners for 5+ years (two coaches -- one gas and one diesel). We had some problems with it too as did all our Tiffin Club members (hello Red Bay........if you are retired, making trip after trip down there to get warranty work done I guess is fun, but if you work.....forget it). My bottom line: The RV industry is short of a skilled work force given the unprecendented growth in demand and needs to get out of "trailer" thinking mode and provide QC at the factory that you would expect a $200k-$400k luxery automobile to go through. Once we get all the little quirks worked out, we will be very happy with our Horizon 40A. We love the interior and exterior design, electronics and the performance -- let's hope it holds up during years of use.
SIDE NOTE: We went from a 6 speed automatic 340HP Cummins diesel with a 2500 Alison Transmission to a 6 speed 450HP Cummins with 3000 Allison Transmission. The performance difference is staggering BUT they made the 40A only with a 100 gallon instead of 150 gallon tank (they mostly put 400HP Cummins in the 40As and the 450HP in the Horizon 42Q). SO, we will be stopping for fuel more often -- we got close to 10mpg in the 340HP model; we are getting about 6.7mpg so far in the 450HP. When we learn to slow down (the power is crazy), hope that increases!.
drdavemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavemcc View Post
Thanks everyone. An interesting thread we started foro sure. Our Horizon 40A cam from Oregon. We have had into the Richmond, VA dealer where we bought it 3 times to get some accessories put on (WiFi extender, Winegard In Motion Satellite dish, electric hose reel, Window and an awning for huge drivers side wiondows in living area. Some done, some not. Parts take forever to arrive or come in and wrong thing ordered. But we also have had some quality control bucket items that are just now getting repaired by the dealer: (a) couple of drawers poorly installed, (b) sliding door from bathroom to bedroom coming apart at top and mounted crooked, (c) JBL subwoofer that is part of the cab sound system won't work (tech has had to call JBL and Winnebago factory -- part on order), (d) paint was chipped on front of coach near windshield -- had to be rpainted and Diamond Shield strip redone (air bubbles in it, so having it redone), (e) tile floor had glue or some other goop on it in several places that is just now starting to come off, (f) only had hot water in bathroom becausecold water link was kinking when bathroom slideout went out, (g) front door had significant wind noise, (h) one of the pull-out foot rests for coach chairs was broken, (i) stabilizer jack had to be replaced because of malfunctioning. Not a huge list but again when you are buying a $470,000 MSRP coach you would expect a little better quaility control at the factory. We have been Tiffin owners for 5+ years (two coaches -- one gas and one diesel). We had some problems with it too as did all our Tiffin Club members (hello Red Bay........if you are retired, making trip after trip down there to get warranty work done I guess is fun, but if you work.....forget it). My bottom line: The RV industry is short of a skilled work force given the unprecendented growth in demand and needs to get out of "trailer" thinking mode and provide QC at the factory that you would expect a $200k-$400k luxery automobile to go through. Once we get all the little quirks worked out, we will be very happy with our Horizon 40A. We love the interior and exterior design, electronics and the performance -- let's hope it holds up during years of use.
SIDE NOTE: We went from a 6 speed automatic 340HP Cummins diesel with a 2500 Alison Transmission to a 6 speed 450HP Cummins with 3000 Allison Transmission. The performance difference is staggering BUT they made the 40A only with a 100 gallon instead of 150 gallon tank (they mostly put 400HP Cummins in the 40As and the 450HP in the Horizon 42Q). SO, we will be stopping for fuel more often -- we got close to 10mpg in the 340HP model; we are getting about 6.7mpg so far in the 450HP. When we learn to slow down (the power is crazy), hope that increases!.
Hope all goes well for you. Nice coach. Don't forget to use the mode control on the transmission. Will help to save you fuel. So will the cruse control.
Happy trails.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #29
Site Team

Like Tiffin owners that go to Redbay, I guess Horizon owners will be headed to Junction City. It's a bit of a hike to get there but I'm guessing there are zero Winnebago dealers that know anything at all about servicing, repairing or warranting a Horizon at this point or maybe for the next couple of years.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Like Tiffin owners that go to Redbay, I guess Horizon owners will be headed to Junction City. It's a bit of a hike to get there but I'm guessing there are zero Winnebago dealers that know anything at all about servicing, repairing or warranting a Horizon at this point or maybe for the next couple of years.
Don't expect too much from Junction City. I had a better idea as to what was causing my slide lock failure than they did. Even Forest City doesn't have the high quality techs it once was so well known for.

Junction City has no parts stock. Everything comes to them from Forest City and there is no rush. The ad by Winnebago about quick delivery on warranty items seems not to be substantiated by those who have parts needs under warranty. Patience and vigilance is required.
Make an appointment at Junction City before you head that way. When you arrive, you simply park the rig at the rv parking and wait till morning, or Monday morning if it is a weekend arrival. The techs come to you. There is NO check-in at the office. At least this is the way it was a few months back when we were there.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 10-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

There isn't anything too unique about the Horizon with regards to getting it worked on. The Chassis is a standard XCL Maxum Winnie has used for a while, and eveything below the floor is very much like the Journey before it, along with the front and rear clips. The only thing really different is the cabinetry, and the lighting.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #32
Site Team

Well, yes, but the interior is 100% Italian made, isn't it? The OP was getting some interior stuff repaired.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Congrats on your new rig! We just purchased the same unit in November, but haven't had it out for a trip yet. We would love to be part of a group of 40A owners who share information and tips, and maybe even meet for a rally somewhere!
Av8rlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #34
W6GRG

I pick up my 2020 Horizon 42Q next Tuesday (4/14/20) from La Mesa RV in Sacramento and reading all your stories has me worried. The dealer in Sacramento is a 6+ hour drive from my home so I am not looking forward to warranty repairs. I have a Winnebago dealer in my home town but they only sell and work on the lower lines so I an not sure where I will go for warranty service.

Since we are stuck at home (quarantine) I will have plenty of time to test everything and install upgrades like a macerator, powered cord reel, sat dish, ham radio, etc.

I will post my experiences. Wish me luck!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #35
Site Team

Congrats! What an exciting day that will be.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Don't sign any papers or make any payments until you've driven the RV and are satisfied with how it drives. Any issue... that's any little issue tell them to fix it before you will close on the sale.

2. Spend hours going over every function and test it's operation. Make they show you how everything works. Don't rush. Plan on a very long day it's not unusual for it to take over 4-hours. Again, don't purchase until everything works and everything is there.

3. If you can, and folks usually say "I just don't have the time" take the RV to the campground as close as possible to the RV dealer and spend a min of 24 hours but preferably 48 hours living in the RV and using everything. Then take it back to the dealership for repairs, corrections or more lessons about how things work.

You've had an RV before you know how important it is to get it right while you still have the dealers attention.

As to repairs, your dealer is best, but any dealer can do most non-model specific repairs. WBGO will sometimes approve independent repair people to work on warranty items but only when a dealer is unable or unwilling.

For serious, really bad issues that are just too much for any nearby dealer to take care of there is always the Main service center in Junction City, Oregon. Yes, I know too far away but it's better than Forest City, IA in your case.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #36
W6GRG

Wish me luck

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately I have purchased the rig sight unseen and am trading my Newmar to the dealer. I do have the time to stay in Sacramento if I find significant problems they need to fix. Wish me luck!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #37
Site Team

Good luck, safe travels and stay healthy.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griegert View Post
I pick up my 2020 Horizon 42Q next Tuesday (4/14/20) from La Mesa RV in Sacramento and reading all your stories has me worried. The dealer in Sacramento is a 6+ hour drive from my home so I am not looking forward to warranty repairs. I have a Winnebago dealer in my home town but they only sell and work on the lower lines so I an not sure where I will go for warranty service.

Since we are stuck at home (quarantine) I will have plenty of time to test everything and install upgrades like a macerator, powered cord reel, sat dish, ham radio, etc.

I will post my experiences. Wish me luck!
I do hope you have a pleasant experience with this coach. I suggest that you request to stay in the coach for a few days before signing any papers. Get the major (need to order parts) type repairs done before you pay for the rig.

I found the cord and hose reals more trouble than they were worth. This coach has neither and I am very happy.

Why a macerator? I find dumping from the 3' hose not to be a problem and much quicker. I carry a portable one for the rare occasion I need to dump when I can't reach with the 3' hose.
I don't use my sat dish. I use the Amazon Fire stick. If you want my dish I am willing to sell it to you. Directv SWIM. I'm in Jamul, CA until June.
Repairs from most RV dealers are a pig in a poke for success rates. When you find someone who is good and reliable, stick with them.
In any case, happy trails and many of them. Live long and prosper... Stay healthy
Rick
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #39
W6GRG

Jerichorick,

Thanks for the reply. I have had maceratoes on my last two coaches. I find them much easier and less messy to use. Plus I can pull in forward in some view spots and just run the hose under the coach to the front, as far away as I want to go. Just my personal preference.

Thanks for the offer of the dish but I am going to do a Dish Network unit.

Stay healthy!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griegert View Post
Jerichorick,

Thanks for the reply. I have had maceratoes on my last two coaches. I find them much easier and less messy to use. Plus I can pull in forward in some view spots and just run the hose under the coach to the front, as far away as I want to go. Just my personal preference.

Thanks for the offer of the dish but I am going to do a Dish Network unit.

Stay healthy!
Your welcome. Not a problem.

Funny story about the macerator. Saw this on one of the RV forums.
The RVer had a problem with his macer pump. A couple of local RV guys showed up to fix the problem. When they got the pump out they found "stones" jamming it. The RV owner recognized them as cherry pits. He asked his wife how many of them she had swallowed when they eat the fresh cherries. "All of them" was her reply.

Happy Easter and happy trails.
Rick