Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

2018 Vista 32YE roof cracks developing

My rig is starting to develop what appears to be cracks on the roof. There's also a 2" circle crack developing, as if it's a planned pass through hole. Has anyone else seen this on their Vista?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracks developing.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	172723  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've seen some others post pictures of cracks in their Vista roof but they didn't look anything like these. The ones I have seen have been irregular and along the edge where the roof turns downward. The cracks in your picture look very straight like seams that are separating.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Our 32YE roof is fine so far. That round "hole" doesn't look good at all. No reason for it to be there since the dish mount location is front and center. The plywood seam joints look like they are lifting too. I'd contact Wbgo about that. Very discouraging for sure.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
My rig is starting to develop what appears to be cracks on the roof. There's also a 2" circle crack developing, as if it's a planned pass through hole. Has anyone else seen this on their Vista?
I see the same thing on our roof but not cracks really. When the mornings are cooler and dew is trying to form the metal that is built into the roof seems to be at a different temp and shows up reveling the sub structure as in your picture. Also, these seams seemed to become visible as my roof oxidized. After cleaning and waxing these were less visible. As I said....I am not really seeing cracks just the ghost of the substructure just as in your picture. If you truly have cracks or delamination you should have it inspected by the dealer. Personally what I see on our roof is not concerning to me. Maybe it should be. You are not alone....Good luck and Happy Camping!
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Our 32YE roof is fine so far. That round "hole" doesn't look good at all. No reason for it to be there since the dish mount location is front and center. The plywood seam joints look like they are lifting too. I'd contact Wbgo about that. Very discouraging for sure.
The strange thing is when I had the dish-network antenna installed by Camping World, I couldn't find a marking on the roof to indicate access to the pre-wired coax cable. 6 months later it makes itself visible when I don't want it. Hah!

Strangely, the drawing I downloaded from Winnebago did not indicate this area was the location for the cable access, however the drawing was obscure. I really didn't have confidence in the accuracy of the drawing, because it wasn't clear. That's the reason I had Camping World do the work, otherwise I would have done the install.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Our 2018 32YE has a decal on the roof for the dish. It's directly behind the radio antenna (center of the roof),, About 12" back from the front cap/roof roof seam.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Our 2018 32YE has a decal on the roof for the dish. It's directly behind the radio antenna (center of the roof),, About 12" back from the front cap/roof roof seam.
OK good, that's where the drawing implied it was located. Thanks much. So this circle crack is located about 2 or 3' from that location. Makes me wonder why this is there.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the Camping World technician that installed the dish antenna dropped something heavy on the roof, and it broke the fiberglass in a circular shape somehow. I didn't notice this when I inspected his work when I picked up the RV. It apparently took months for the crack to collect dirt to be obvious.

I have sent a close up photo to Winnebago for their opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Circle crack.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	172734  
Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't put anything past Camping World. I have an extensive list of horror stories from our 5er toy hauler many of which are beyond bizarre.

The weird thing about that circle is in the first picture it almost looks like the fiberglass got pushed into a hole in the plywood that shouldn't be there. About the size of a vent pipe. If there is wood underneath it, then CW is quite possibly the culprit.

The marked location for the dish on ours has solid plywood underneath it, no pre-cut holes.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
Let's kill some bugs!

I got a reply back from Nicholas at Winnebago. He thought it was damage done by something external. I'm thinking someone might have thrown a big rock up there, or dropped a tool on the roof (Camping world). I don't see any scratches from a rock, so I think it was a tool dropping, like the end of a hammer handle, something heavy from at least 3' above the roof. I tend to agree with Nick, but that doesn't help much. He said to simply put some self leveling Dicor on it and it would be fine to prevent leaks or seeps.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Did you speak to the service manager at CW? When you do tell him what the Winnebago rep told you.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
If I were you I would call Winnebago get an appointment for the roof to be inspected. We have a 2017 sunova and in July they are putting on a whole new roof for us . They were going to do an overlay where they glue a new fiberglass skin over the old roof . When they started removing the A/C units they found some delaminating in that area and decided to replace the complete roof . Could take up to two weeks to do.
Tboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What is the cause of the discoloration around the circular crack? The discoloration looks to be an area about 2' in diameter. Something like that could have been some pretty bad damage that was repaired.

If you bought the RV used, the former owner may have had something repaired.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

This is the typical roof construction for a Winnebago. A thin (1/8" or less) sheet of plywood over white Styrofoam. It makes a pretty sturdy structure, strong enough to walk on.

In the photo in the 1st post it looks like the plywood was pressed down into the Styrofoam on each side of the roof support ribs.

Maybe really heavy wet snow quite a few inches deep, 10"-12" or deeper?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151205_144511 Small.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	173604  
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof