Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 Vista 29VE Steps????

Maiden Voyage, ten hours from home and our steps failed to retract in Las Vegas. We made it to Camping World, 25 miles away and they diagnosed and ordered a new controller. We stayed an extra day and a half, and they were frankly just wonderful.
We were able to drive with them out as they don't hang as low as big Class As, thought te police did pull us over.
Turned out the door sensor was also bad, though it did check out ok with a magnet. Nothing they could do but install a rerouted switch in the entrance for us to manually operate.
They had another fix that would have dropped the steps when the door shut and lifted them when the door opens. Reverse.
So this works so far but is unsafe as we have toddler grandkids who we are traveling with who will find that switch, while they could be halfway in or out, standing on the steps.
I like this conscious control but I'd like a warning bell and a remote, lol.
Sandmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on my new Sunstar last week. I shorted the two wires on the magnetic reed switch with a key which activated the steps. I have a new magnetic reed switch on order from Amazon. Not worth driving to the dealer over.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps