Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 Sunstar LX 27N - Entertainment

Above the door entry to the motorhome, there is a lift up door that contains a set of control panels for the TV antenna, speaker systems and two removable panels for an entertainment device and a satellite antenna system.

After buying the motorhome and using it for a few months I am ready to add an entertainment system. I would like it to be an AM/FM stereo and also a DVD/Blueray USB device.

Looking for advice I have asked at La Mesa and even called Winnebago but so far no one seems to have a recommendation. Does anyone have an entertainment system installed and can you tell what make and model you have?

All comments and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Team

My Adventurer came with one in that spot. It’s a LG with everything you mentioned but the radio including amplifiers for the coache’s built in surround speakers/subwoofer.

I’m not sure of the model but it looks like this one: LG Electronics BH5140S

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ronics+BH5140S
Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the response. It appears that one is designed for the home. I suspect it plugs into a power source located inside the flip-down entertainment cabinet. Can anyone confirm that there is a 110V AC outlet in there to plug into?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes, the one I linked to is designed for home use. On my Adventurer they've installed surround sound speakers in the ceiling, in some cabinets over the sofa and with a subwoofer in a cabinet in the kitchen that faces the living room. Then this using, running on 110v is in the overhead cabinet entertainment center.

I may be different in your RV. Mine has 110v plugs, satellite receiver hookups, etc. And the 110v power is on my inverter so it works even when not plugged into shore power.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Again, thank you for the response. My MH is at La Mesa for repair from road debris that I hit a few months ago. When I get it back I will un-cable to the hinged panel and open it all the way up and take some measurements and confirm I have a 110v AC outlet.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I installed a Sony DVD player in the left hand blank spot. Used a piece of foam to wedge it in place so it did not move. There is a 110v outlet on the wall towards the ceiling. Had to stand on my head to see it. There are also 2 HDMI cables up there that are labeled. HDMI 1 goes to the main tv and HDMI 2 is for the bedroom tv. Only odd thing is they hooked up the main tv to the HDMI 2 input so you have to select that one on the tv.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

W6LMJ, drawings show two 110V outlets on the outside wall both fed from the (optional) inverter.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Retired Sailor and Wench

murphy55378 - I bought a 2013 Adventurer 37F about six months ago. It has a King Dome Satellite Antenna (9704) which is compatible with either DirecTV or Dish Network. In the entertainment equipment cabinet above the passenger's seat, is a 4x4 Matrix HDMI Switch Splitter and a Sony DVD player, a 75-ohm TV coaxial cable, and two HDMI Cables. We also have a Jack Digital HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna on the roof. I have been successful in getting Over-the-Air TV picture and sound on both the Lounge and Bedroom TVs.

At home, we subscribe to DirecTV and we have the Genie HD system with the HR44-500 HDDVR receiver. I took the HR44-500 to the RV, attached the 75-ohm coax ond one of the HDMI cables to the receiver and was able to get a DirecTV set-up screen on the Lounge but it did not download any DirecTV settings.

I have since learned that the HR44-500 HD receiver requires a SWM in the circuit. Since we don't have any extra boxes behind our home bedroom (main) TV, I went to the attic and discovered a DirecTV MSPLIT4R1-03 spliiter SWM 4-way and DirecTV Power Inserter Model PI21R3-16. From my research, and looking up at the HD antenna on my roof at home, it appears that I have the SWM LNB installed on the antenna.

Assuming that the King Dome satellite antenna does not have the SWM LNB installed, I'm assuming I have to buy a separate SWM to install between the antenna and the other components (identified above) in order to receive DirecTV programming.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2019 Sunstar. It took me awhile to find the 110 plug but it is in the entertainment center above the door against the outside wall and all the way to the top. Not where the dwg shows it but it's there. Getting the satellite to the tv's is still a challenge but I am still trying to find a solution..
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You should go to Winnebagoind.com -> Resources -> Wiring Diagrams-Motorized and get the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and the TV/DVD Wiring Installation drawings for your specific year and model RV. Note that some wiring may only be present if your coach was built with specific options, the drawings will indicate wiring that is associated with options. You should be able to see what options your coach built with from the literature you got with the coach, or you can call Winnebago Customer Service and get it from them.

What you will have up there will depend on your exact model. Don't assume that posts for other kinds of Winnebagos will be the same as yours.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the response. I guess the next step is to open the cabinet and stand on my head to see the plug, or maybe i will be able to feel it with my hands.

I wonder if anyone has a recommendation on what type of system to install? A Blue Ray player seems like a natural. But it would also be nice to have stereo and AM/FM radio to go with the video player. It would also be nice if it fit in the space allocated in the tilt-down cabinet.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

There is no provision to drive your pre-installed living area ceiling speakers from that lift-up cabinet. The pre-installed living area ceiling speakers are wired only to the in-dash unit. It would be impossible to wire any new speakers to that location unless you surface wire which would not be very attractive.

Winnebago's intent for the Vista and Sunstar LX is for you to learn how to use your in-dash unit for AM/FM/from phone via hard cable or bluetooth entertainment. You have a dash switch so you can power it from the coach batteries when ignition key is off. You likely have wireless remote control so you can operate it without being physically right in front of it. Anything you install in the lift up cabinet will drive TVs thru HDMI or Coax. You will get better sound and video if you install devices that use the HDMI. You can use the built-in TV speakers for sound they are not terrible.

Some upgrades you CAN do ...

Put a good Blu-ray DVD player with HDMI output in the lift up cabinet. I used a Sony.

If you get SatTV, put in lift up cabinet and use a 1-2 HDMI switch to select between the DVD and the SatTV HDMI outs to feed to the TV. I get numerous channels of stereo music from SiriusXM as part of Dish SatTV package I subscribe to.

Put a 12' HDMI cable on the spare input of the wall TV so you can connect your TV directly to a device with HDMI out from the dinette table top. I use with both Apple and PC laptops with HDMI out, Apple TV, and Amazon TV Stick.

Install a Visio (what I used) or other sound bar on the wall right below the big TV in the 27N to improve the sound to high quality. One I used has a wireless sub-woofer. I connected it to the same power source the TV used so it also can run off the inverter. It connects to the TV and you change TV audio settings to use the soundbar instead of the TV internal speakers.

The Visio and most other sound bars have Bluetooth so you can use it as a speaker for a device with Bluetooth output. I use to feed internet music from phone or tablet to the sound bar.

It came with a sub-woofer that connects wirelessly to the sound bar. Just be sure to choose a sound bar small enough for the dinette slide to clear when you put the slide in.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Great answer and thank you very much for your information. I have an Apple TV and Amazon stick to use with the main TV. And, I will follow your advice, and the advice of others, and install a BlueRay player in the tilt-down lift cabinet which should make all connected TV's smart TVs.

I have not been very successful getting my IOS phone to display maps on the dash radio touchscreen. I may just have to try harder. LaMesa did install an HDMI cable from the back of the dash radio so i should be able to input to it with an adapter that way. I am still exploring the possibilities.

I like your suggestions about sound quality and will look for a soundbar. No doubt, that will be a great improvement. Though, as you say, the sound from the TV is not all that bad.

Thanks again for writing.