Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 Sunstar 32YE Slide not extending

My 2018 front slide does not extend. First time in two years. Batteries ok. Jacks down. Engine running. Push out button only the left side of slide starts to extend. Thought I say and tasted hydrolic fluid on outside of the slide behind drivers door. Bedroom slide works fine. Model 32YE. Leaving in two days for snowboarding. Any ideas or thoughts. Thanks
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You gotta love spell check! Could you have some type of obstruction on the right side of the slide that would keep it from extending.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I did check that also. I think it’s the motor. I say this only because I saw and tastes a fluid dripping on the outside of the slide behind the drivers seat. I will call a service tech when I stop at Myrtle beach on my way south. My mechanic is closed for the holiday .
Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Suspect this is not hydraulic but not really up on that year and that leaves me guessing. However, I might think it is a problem with an electrical motor or the mechanical connect to the slide movement.
Have you noted a small track like metal running along the sides of the slide where a gear might engage? This would say to me that it is an electrical motor driving a gear which moves the slide, using one motor on each side with a controller to keep the two motors in sycn. Not uncommon for one motor to fail so that one side tries to move but not the other. But it is also more common for the gizmos which connect those motors to fail. Any chance you might have heard some strange noise last time it moved, something like a pop or grinding?
A little hard to find out with the slide closed but I might look at checking the motors and connections.
But do keep in mind that this is a guess based on what I "think" you have, not what I "know" you have! Good luck! Things like this bite on when we really need to get it moving.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We had the same problem with our 2015 Suncruiser. Left started out, right stayed put. We took in to repair shop and they knew immediately that it just needed to be reset. Should be in your manual, but it was something simple like holding both buttons for ten seconds. The place we took it too did not even charge us.
Cliffcanaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalep View Post
My 2018 front slide does not extend. First time in two years. Batteries ok. Jacks down. Engine running. Push out button only the left side of slide starts to extend. Thought I say and tasted hydrolic fluid on outside of the slide behind drivers door. Bedroom slide works fine. Model 32YE. Leaving in two days for snowboarding. Any ideas or thoughts. Thanks
Happened to us but cure was more serious than a reset. A motor failed. Dealer said Winnebago has this problem (maybe others too) because they were using too small motors. We were lucky as it happened 1 week before warranty ran out.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if the 32YE has slide locks, but if the slide locks don't fully release then the slide will not activate.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We had the same problem on a different rig. It turned out to be an in-line fuse on the wire to the hydraulic pump. If you hear nothing from the pump (it isn't "trying" to get the hydraulic fluid into the extenders), go find your pump, look closely at each of the electrical lines feeding the pump and see if there is an inline fuse that has blown. Worked for us and then we were on our way.
RorynaterTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Please let us know what the problem/solution was as it could help many other owners here.
I always consider posting the solution my payment for being able to ask the question.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Slide not going out

Follow up. Got to Myrtle beach safely. Had Campers Inn noble rv van out to diagnosis problem. Access the electric motor behind the drivers seat. Motor was seized. Covered with rust. Maybe water got in through the exterior gasket seal during heavy rain and wind. Replaced with new motor. Did notice new motor was enclosed with an rubber type shrink type material. Looks like they have had issues before with this type of motor. Good Sam extended warranty covered all but the deductible. This was last week. All is good. Still traveling.

Tags
slide