Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 and 2019 Vista workmanship issues

I have been reading some posts from Vista owners about workmanship quality issues lately. Most were a few years old, but not many on 2018, 19 models.
Many folks who are obviously handy, decided for what ever reason to fix the things themselves. Most were final assembly problems caused by workers being in a hurry, not caring, poor supervising or poor quality inspections. We have a 2018 Vista 27PE purchased in May with 2000 miles and about 15 nights on it so far. We have had no major systems or chassis problems so far, but have had many annoying minor problems with poor final assembly. Because of not being close to a dealer or finding one who could see us in a reasonable amount of time I have been fixing most of these problems myself. Things such as missing fasteners and screws, screws too short to hold, roll blinds being installed incorrectly and backwards, blinds and valences falling off, many squeaks and rattles that take awhile to find, silver screws and hinges on basement doors obviously not stainless, that are rusting, decals that were installed with damage cuts and scratches and exterior side panels that have blemishes that polishing and buffing will not remove. when I drove the coach home from the dealer, it rattled and bounced so bad I was questioning my decision. Turns out all six wheels had different air pressure, 70-95 psi, that dealer was asked to check before me taking it home Also the tires were not balanced or aligned. The most recent problem that does concern us is a rear hydraulic jack that started weeping fluid.

My question to the Vista community is, has anyone who has been repairing their own problems like these contacted anyone, who is high enough at Winnebago to care, about the assembly issues? I doubt that talking to the nice people who answer our questions at Winnebago ever feed back these issues to the right people who can address them. If anyone has such a contact, please let me know as I would like to talk with them. All these years in business with a reputation for quality should be important to the folks running this company. I for one am getting weary of fixing other peoples sloppy workmanship, when we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would call Winnebago and let them know. That is the only way to have a chance at improving the situation. I have 2018 27N and have been very pleased with the fit and finish. I did have a leak from the wrong assembly of the shower faucets and have had a bedroom fan replaced. But LaMesa near me has cared for the minor items quickly and efficiently. I am fortunate indeed.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some of your issues like use of zinc plated vs. stainless steel fasteners, are not assembly issues. They are engineering decisions. Assembly workers have no control over what parts they are given on the line to use during assembly. Some of the parts decisions are tied to the price point Winnebago is trying to hit. Winnebago is trying to keep the price of the Vista competitive with other RV manufacturers products, like Thor.

MCD shades - the white ones have the MCD name facing the inside. The sunshade ones have the fabric coming down closer to the windows. That's how they are all installed - you may not agree but it is not a assembly error if your coach was built this way so that one unrolls in the opposite direction than the other.

A major squeak rattle source is the entry door, suggest you try putting a single layer of black electrical tape around the round pin the door latches into and see if this does not eliminate all the door squeaking. Just refresh the tape before every drive it wears out quickly.

I was also getting squeak/rattle noises from the long slide in my Vista due to the brakes in the motors not hold the slide tight against the coach wall when traveling. I made some slide lock blocks out of lengths of 2x4 and this eliminated the vast majority of the remaining squeaks/rattle noises during traveling.

If you make slide lock blocks you have to create a fool proof method to make sure you never try to open the slide with the lock blocks in place. I made a two sided sign from a small square of plastic labeled SLIDE LOCKED on one side and SLIDE UNLOCKED on the other side that I velcro to the wall above the slide switch. part of the plastic slips under the switch so that the switch can not be operated in the open direction without removing the plastic sign first.

Tire balancing and wheel alignment - Ford balances wheels and tires at the imcomplete chassis manufacturing plant. Winnebago aligns all coaches at factory. So it was done but your standards for how close to perfect is good enough may be higher than Ford's and Winnebago's.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your comment, but you were no help.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
Thanks for your comment, but you were no help.
How nice. NOT.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have you read my question and the condescending reply which was inaccurate for my coach??
Old 08-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have read powercat's reply several times now and I cannot get condescending out of it. If anything I see an attempt to relate his experience in a helpful way.

To answer your original question; No I have not attempted to contact Winnebago about the numerous small fixes and improvements that I have made. That is because my expectation for quality in an RV is like my expectation for quality from a large home builder. It is definitely not the same level of quality I expect from a modern car manufacturer. As long as there are not issues with the major systems, then I am ok with my rolling DIY project.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Yep, read them both. I didn't read anything condescending in his reply. Try reading posts from others as some stranger's attempt to help. Others are not posting on your thread to be mean or offensive and even if YOU happen take it the wrong way it's 1000 times better to ignore a post you don't like than to be offensive back on purpose.

In direct answer to your post... Winnebago knows full well that some of the product leaves the factory with issues. You could write to them. You could call them. I guess they'd listen to you. But I'd also guess that they think that 97% of the products they build are good quality.

Can't tell from your post but if you've owned other RVs there is nothing unique to Winnebago or the View that is not repeated over and over and over again by owners of ALL brands of RVs.

Remember an RV is part truck - built by an outside company - and part house built in a factory that's trying to build as many as possible each and every day.

This, and the fact that I've owned 5 RVs over the past 20 years, has left me willing to sweat the small stuff myself and let the manufacturer back up the big items.

PS. I'm trying to help... not be condescending. I hope you can tell.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hmm, where did you buy? I have been through about 10 RVs from travel trailers and finally two motorhomes. Like buying a house, I start building a "punch" list of things that need to be fixed and email that to the dealership and they plan to do the work when I bring it in. In most cases, they have been able to care for all minor and major items needing attention. I suspect you have already identified the problem, "proximity". You have no local dealer. So I am curious who you bought from and could they help if you took the motorhome back to them?
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have not contacted any higher-ups at Winnebago simply because I have not run into any issues that would cause me to do so. There are some features that I would like to have on our Vista and I am slowly adding those as I can. I am not saying that we have tested every last component to our satisfaction... just yet (we've only had it for a couple months)... but we are working on it and at this point I am cautiously optimistic. My "comparison" MH was a 2006 Hurricane and I must say we are pleased with the workmanship in the Vista so far.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

ExBuckeye
I sent a letter to:
Michael J. Happe, Winnebago Industries CEO
Winnebago, Inc.
P.O. Box 152
Forest City, IA 50436

Troy Swearingen Service Rep called me his number is 641-585-3535.
He took care of some of my problems but the major issue is Winnebago and Ford have this arrangement where they will not work on the others portion of the coach. When you have a chassis issue and there is no Ford Truck Center available you have a real problem. My issue with tire air pressure being way out to lunch and a balance problem was a real pain to get resolved.
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, we have the same issues. We live in an area of a million plus people but only one large Ford truck center. Capitol Ford in Raleigh. After talking to both service advisors and the manager said they do not work o
n motor homes anymore. Something about they were not paying them to do the work. All I wanted was an alignment and wheel bancing and I assumed I would be paying. They still refused and suggested I drive a 3 hour round trip to a Ford dealer in Greensboro. Finally found a local shop that can do the work. Can a dealer refuse to work on a Ford chassis?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There are 675 Ford Commercial Vehicle Service Centers in the USA you can find them on Ford.com ...
https://www.ford.com/commercial-vehicle-center/

You can also call the Ford Roadside Assistance toll free # and they will give you the nearby ones over the phone, the # is on wallet cards in your owner's packet or you can google it.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
Thank you, we have the same issues. We live in an area of a million plus people but only one large Ford truck center. Capitol Ford in Raleigh. After talking to both service advisors and the manager said they do not work o
n motor homes anymore. Something about they were not paying them to do the work. All I wanted was an alignment and wheel bancing and I assumed I would be paying. They still refused and suggested I drive a 3 hour round trip to a Ford dealer in Greensboro. Finally found a local shop that can do the work. Can a dealer refuse to work on a Ford chassis?
It isn’t close, but there’s a good Ford commercial dealer in Wilmington. It may be a Capitol dealer as well. I had work done on my F-350there and saw some RV’s as well.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I understand your frustration as I have had a couple of Ford dealers tell me that they no longer work on motor homes due to the lack of space. I had to drive 3 hours each way to get chassis warranty work done. I agree with W6 and Fish Bear on fixing the small stuff on the Motorhome if I can. I'm now out of warranty for non-chassis work. Local dealers and RV repair shops are backed up for several months for getting an appointment. Plus, I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to reach an authorized dealer. It just isn't worth the inconvenience and my time so I wait until I have several things on my list if I can't or don't want to do it myself. On my previous Rockwood trailer, I had to take it back to the dealer (2 1/2 hrs. away) many times for lists of warranty work including three water leaks over two years.

Lastly, I hesitate making this comment but I think that kindness to others is important. Your response to Powercat was somewhat harsh and out of character for this forum. He didn't sound condescending and even took the high road and helped you again after you made that comment. I'm sure that your frustration with issues unexpectedly came through in your words. Please remember that the folks here are just trying to help and most have read similar threads as yours many times over and they still try to assist. I have been "saved" several times by posting an issue or question here. I sved money, frustration and time to a dealer/repair shop by being shown how to troubleshoot for a solution when I was on a trip. Sorry to get on my soapbox...I'm done now. Good luck with getting your RV fixed.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote