Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Via - Radio cuts out when turn signals engaged

Hi all. I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Via 25P, and I have a question that the dealer has been unable to sufficiently answer. By "sufficiently" I mean their answer is "Oh they ALL do that!"

The vehicle is equipped with sideview cameras. When we test drove it, we had the cab radio on, and every time we used the turn signals, the radio would cut out. When the turn signal was released, the radio would come back on. The dealer says this is the way all of the Winnebago Vias work, and that it is because the radio that comes with the Via is cheap. Nice sales tactic, lol!

Anyway, can anyone else tell me if this is correct? If so, can anything be done to resolve the issue? The radio/rear view camera unit is a Jensen. I've test driven several other coaches with sideview mirrors and this is the first time I've encountered this issue. And having the radio cut out every time we change lanes makes for a looooong drive!!!
curlycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would rewire the radio power and ground from a different source.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok, here's some convoluted logic...

My rear camera has a microphone that can be listened to thru the monitor. Could it be that if the side camera is turned on when you use the turn signal, and if the camera has a microphone that is turned on, too, and if the sound went thru the receiver and cut off the radio, then perhaps the microphones could be bypassed by changing a setting on the radio.

Or... is my logic just illogical?😎
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 2016 Sightseer doesn't do that.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all - it does sound like an electrical problem. I think the dealer is expecting me to just take their word that all Vias do the same thing. I will definitely pursue a resolution before buying! Thanks for your help!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey falcon190 - I like your convoluted thinking I did look through all the radio and camera settings to no avail, plus read the ever so helpful manual. Nothing :( I even woo to winnebago directly but no response. This must be electrical! I think maybe they replaced the radio and wired it wrong...
Old 09-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

All RV's use cheap radios... Sad but true :(

Possibly it might be as simple as the radios settings. I assume the radio screen shows what the side cameras show when the turn signal is on? Or is it a different screen that shows those cameras? Haven't been in a via to know how they are setup.

If it's the radio screen that shows the camera it might simply be a menu that you need to get to keep the audio on when turn signals are being used.

If it's a different screen does the entire radio turn off or is it just the audio? If the entire radio turns off as stated above rewiring th radio to a different switched power source might be all that's needed.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks nc25t yes, the radio screen shoes the camera view. I will play around with the settings more next time I'm at the dealership and see if I can fugue it out!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Do you know what model radio it has?

Not sure if it can view one source (camera) while playing another (CD - radio etc) but you might be able to look at the radio manual and it might help.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have 2015 View with side cameras, they have sound, radio is cancelled out while turn signal on.
AndyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
I have 2015 View with side cameras, they have sound, radio is cancelled out while turn signal on.
Wow, thanks AndyD. Not great news, but very helpful! I'm not sure I can handle that particular "feature." It drove us crazy on the test drive, I can't imagine it on a long drive :(
Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Touch the screen while your turn signal is on. There will be a speaker icon you touch. It will shut off the camera audio. See attached directions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	139408

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycamper View Post
Hi all. I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Via 25P, and I have a question that the dealer has been unable to sufficiently answer. By "sufficiently" I mean their answer is "Oh they ALL do that!"

The vehicle is equipped with sideview cameras. When we test drove it, we had the cab radio on, and every time we used the turn signals, the radio would cut out. When the turn signal was released, the radio would come back on. The dealer says this is the way all of the Winnebago Vias work, and that it is because the radio that comes with the Via is cheap. Nice sales tactic, lol!

Anyway, can anyone else tell me if this is correct? If so, can anything be done to resolve the issue? The radio/rear view camera unit is a Jensen. I've test driven several other coaches with sideview mirrors and this is the first time I've encountered this issue. And having the radio cut out every time we change lanes makes for a looooong drive!!!
I had issues similar to this with my 2007 Sightseer and it ended up being the seal on one of the turn signals went bad and let the turn signal fill with water.

Check and see if you may have the same problem.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That's how it works on my 2013 NeXus class C. It has a Jensen with navigation. In talking with Jensen, I found out that the builder has to do a work around between the radio, nav, side view cameras to make it all work. Shutting off the sound is the result. It is really annoying if you are trying to listen to an audio book, for example; it keeps running but the sound disappears. A really low-rent solution. Jensen told me there is nothing to be done.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
That's how it works on my 2013 NeXus class C. It has a Jensen with navigation. In talking with Jensen, I found out that the builder has to do a work around between the radio, nav, side view cameras to make it all work. Shutting off the sound is the result. It is really annoying if you are trying to listen to an audio book, for example; it keeps running but the sound disappears. A really low-rent solution. Jensen told me there is nothing to be done.
Thank you BCook57! I'm a big audiobook person, especially on long drives, so this scenario would really drive me crazy. It sounds like the only way to really fix this is to get a whole new radio. Which is a bummer! But at least I know now - thanks again for the reply!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalMoose View Post
Touch the screen while your turn signal is on. There will be a speaker icon you touch. It will shut off the camera audio. See attached directions.

Attachment 139408

Hope this helps.
That looks really hopeful, thank you KrystalMoose!!

Tags
radio