Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 GrandTour shakedown issue

We picked up the coach yesterday, and are about 45 minutes from home, spending a night in it, before going away for a month or so. When we arrived, we put the slides out, lowered the bed, hooked up, and all was great. When we were getting ready for bed, and thought it would be fun to watch TV with the back elevated, it would not move. Now, the issue is not simply comfort, it is it must elevate for the slide to come in. We looked for fuses, we read the manuals, disconnected shore power(and batteries) for a hard reset, tried the slide, called the salesman (he suggested a few we already tried). So, we are stuck..... any ideas?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No helpful solution, but we have experienced the same problem. Fortunately, even though we were leaving for two weeks, we were in a place where it was safe to leave the slide. Arranged for a mobile tech to meet us there two weeks later, and of course it worked perfectly! I quickly found a couple minor issues for the tech to do, so it wasn't a total waste.
I will be most interested in hearing what others say.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just to be sure, you did try to raise the bed while NOT laying on it? I've noticed that if we're both laying on the bed while raising it, it will not usually overcome the weight load. We simply sit upright when raising the bed.
IMHO the bed should function regardless of our position. Our combined weight is under 350lbs.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 05-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No, we have been trying to operate the bed for the last 16 hours, to no avail. There is a module under the bed with several lights, and they are blinking red, so we expect that might be a "bad board", or a wire with a finished plug on its end which is loose and dangling might have jarred loose. But, neither Winnebago or Coach-New operate on Memorial Day, so we are out of luck for the time being. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
No, we have been trying to operate the bed for the last 16 hours, to no avail. There is a module under the bed with several lights, and they are blinking red, so we expect that might be a "bad board", or a wire with a finished plug on its end which is loose and dangling might have jarred loose. But, neither Winnebago or Coach-New operate on Memorial Day, so we are out of luck for the time being. I'll keep you posted.

Found this:

the bed can be retracted manually just like a slide. There is a clutch on the end of the motor and next to that is the screw you put a socket on and turn.

Before going to all that trouble did you reset the breakers and shut off the chassis and house battery switches just like you would to reset a slide that was not working? Unless the parking brake is set the slides won't work. Perhaps the bed motor is tied into the same override circuit? That's all I can think of for now. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Jesse
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

More info:

08-27-2011, 11:04 AM

Hoghead
I have the same setup in my Itasca Suncruiser and the bed can be retracted manually just like a slide. There is a clutch on the end of the motor and next to that is the screw you put a socket on and turn.

Before going to all that trouble did you reset the breakers and shut off the chassis and house battery switches just like you would to reset a slide that was not working? Unless the parking brake is set the slides won't work. Perhaps the bed motor is tied into the same override circuit? That's all I can think of for now. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

08-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Bobschle
We have a 2012 ellipse that's has a weird bed motor. When we have to raise it, we have to alternately press the raise and lower switches he's until the bed finally comes all the way up
08-29-2011, 01:18 AM
rv.guru
Check the micro switch at the top of the rails, if it is shorted or not setting properly the controls might think the bed is already retracted. Sometimes the wires get pinched as well
09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Jbgrams
[QUOTE=Hoghead;941473]I have the same setup in my Itasca Suncruiser and the bed can be retracted manually just like a slide. There is a clutch on the end of the motor and next to that is the screw you put a socket on and turn.

Update: We found the motor, not sure about the clutch. But there is a bolt on the end of the rod that lifts the head of the bed, we tried turning this but it just turned the motor. Then went to the other end of the rod that lifts the head, and tried turning it, but it did the same thing. We checked all the fuses, breakers, tried to reset with the battery power switches. Still no luck. So we took off mattress, raised the lower part of the bed, had to duct tape the sensor at the head of the bed to make the slide think the head was up to bring in the slide. Then lowered the bed onto the mattress laying on top of the dresser, what a nightmare! But the slide came in and we made it home, next week back to the dealer for repair. Thanks to all who responded, we are just learning how to deal with all these little mishaps, one mishap at a time.
10-04-2011, 02:46 PM
rjfmail
Same problem with my 2012 Itasca SunCruiser king bed. Coach is only 3 monts old

Bed raise & lower is controlled by Micro switch with plunger that must be touching the bed rail in order for power to flow to night stand switches. Had mine serviced twice and still failed as recent as yesterday. Best temporary fix is to raise bed mattress & plywood frame to expose motor assembly, [held mine up with walking sticks] Micro switch is located on left side of slide assembly [identified by two yellow wires attached to Micro switch] push in plunger and jam in something like wad of cardboard (etc) to keep plunger depressed. Power will now be restored to switches on night stands and bed will operate normally (after lower the mattress/platform)

Secondary note: second micro switch controls and overrides slide out from retracting if bed is not in storage position [headboard raised]. Micro switch is located further forward under headboard. [Two yellow wires indentify it] Use long stick from foot of raised mattress/platform to depress. This will allow "slideout" to retract (if bed still will not work using above method) but be aware that gear assembly will move forward and punch through wood panel at foot of bed because it had not retracted into storage position. But last ditch effort to get slide in and able to get to dealer.

Jesse
Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464641906.375355.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	128643Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464641919.558427.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	128644Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464641929.276615.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	128645Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464641943.745047.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	128646

Try unplugging these two wires and connecting them together.

Jesse
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We find no such yellow wires, although the loose wire is white. Also, there is no screw/bolt to attach and turn to raise/lower bed. We shall wait until we get assistance tomorrow when, it appears, Winnebago/Coach-Net return from their holiday.
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help, as we will tell you the outcome of this 3 day old Grand Tour.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow, Jesse! What a great wealth of knowledge, and a terrific willingness to help! I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday morning I got ahold of Coachnet, and they sent a roadside assistance person. While waiting for him, I got ahold of Winnebago Roadside Assistance. The Winnebago person said that if the light module under the bed was blinking (both red and green) rapidly, then it needed to be re-set, by simply pushing the white button (of course we had tried this).
When Coach net (Brian Hudson) arrived, he said the "trick" was to push the button seven times. He did that, and the bed went up about 5 inches and stopped. He did it again, pushing the button until the red lights stopped flashing, and it went up several more inches. After doing this about 8-10 times, the bed was raised. He guessed it was a short prior to this unit (not necessarily this lighted board), and it needed to be diagnosed by a dealer who had the electronic diagnosis equipment. Brian also noticed the "loose wire", but was not sure that had to do with the issue of the bed. It seems the myriad of wires under the bed is due to the fact that almost everything electrical in the coach is junctioned under the bed. A hint; if you want to look under there bring help.
I thanked him, and drove it to LaMesa RV in Mesa. I will keep you posted, and, again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. If anyone else has this issue, I will speak up.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Next update; June 2, Thursday @ 11 am, just heard from LaMesa that Winnebago diagnosed it as needing a control board and a bed motor. They will ship it immediately, but if I want it overnight or 2 day, it's at my expense. Stay tuned.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E with the same bed problems. There is a recall for the micro switches which was done twice on my coach. I tried patching across the switches with no luck. The bed wouldn't lower for me just 2 days ago. I try these two things and ones seems to always work.

1. At the foot of your bed on the left is the bed controller. Sometimes pushing the white button for 1 minute works or I pull the power wire for 30 seconds
2. I push the inverter switch to make sure it is on. Sounds crazy but that worked the last time.

I called Winnebago Help Desk several times about the issue and the last person I spoke to was able to send me the info on the bed controller blinking lights, what they mean and how to reset. Was helpful info
Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, they are being replaced, and when I'm on the road and it happens, it will upset me even more. However, I will keep track, and if it cannot be fixed there are lemon laws which protect consumers.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks, they are being replaced, and when I'm on the road and it happens, it will upset me even more. However, I will keep track, and if it cannot be fixed there are lemon laws which protect consumers.
Mmmmm... lemon laws and RV's frequently don't go together unless it's a major, provable 'safety' issue. Hope Winnebago gets the problem sorted out for you and maybe your selling dealer will pay for expedited shipping. They are the responsible party for having done the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) before you took possession... or did they, since it failed at the very first use. -RT
Old 06-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Yes Ricardo, LaMesa is responsible, and yes, a repeated, non-fixable, slide issue is a matter of safety. However, I am operating on the assumption that it can be fixed, and it will not be repeating, and it is not widespread.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
and yes, a repeated, non-fixable, slide issue is a matter of safety.
Not in a lot of states and certainly not in California, but of course Winnebago will get it sorted out and resolved. It's a shame that the problem wasn't caught at the factory or at the dealer before delivery, but it sounds like you have the patience to see it through.

For California RV owners:

The California RV Lemon Law provides coverage for the chassis, chassis cab, and the propulsion system that your RV contains. This is because these components act as the motor vehicle portion of the RV.

While the Lemon Law itself DOES NOT cover the living quarters of your RV, some provisions of the Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act may provide coverage. If the living quarters of your RV come with a written warranty from the manufacturer, you may be able to seek compensation. -RT
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Next update; Just got word that the overnight delivery from Winnebago ain't happening, because Winnebago has to get the parts from the manufacturer, and that will take 8 days. Can't imagine!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hello Bob!

Last time I talked to you was on your other thread about a month ago. You had just taken delivery and passed thru Iowa City was it? Anyway, other than the bed electronics, how's everything else been going? Hopefully you are liking the Grand Tour and it likes you.

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having right now. The frustrating thing for all manufacturers is 3rd party components they use in their builds. Newmar recently got a bad batch of LEDs, in years past got a bad batch of fiberglass panels, other manufacturers get bad shipments of slide out motors, bad this, and bad that, and the list seem perpetual. It's very hard on the end user, because that's where it rears it's ugly head.

Anyway, it'll work out. Still waitin' on pics of that bad boy hopefully the last month has been positive otherwise.

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Ellipse 42QD
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, maybe when we get our trip going I'll get some pictures up.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The first time the bed motor acted up on me (within 3 months of taking delivery on the new coach) I ended up getting one of those long green poles for gardening and using a flashlight I slide the pole in the opening at the foot of the bed and was able to press the micro switch at the head of the bed. As I pressed the switch I had my wife press the bed up/down button and was able to move the bed
Closed Thread