Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2016 Adventurer 38Q leak near washer?

Was banging around in my 38Q yesterday on a curiosity search as to how to find and access the water pump, so I pulled the drawers under the closet adjacent to the washer in the rear (passenger side). In that process I noticed stain that was dry on the plywood floor deck at the rear of the drawers against the outside wall. Needless to say something had been leaking at some point. It was dry, but the stain was a clear indicator that at some point it had been wet

I went to the 'bago on-line drawing site for this rig and the only two places that seem to be possible sources would be the hot and cold valve and connections for the washer; or, it may be the drain pipe maybe overflowing for the washer??? No other joints immediately around the area for the pex.

At one time a several months back I goofed and did not drain the black water tank after 2 wash loads and managed to do a good job of dampening all in the right rear quadrant of the rig through my efforts to create a flood with a full tank. That could have been when it occurred but I suspect it may be more recent even though it appeared to be dry yesterday. There s no evidence of damage to the plywood---- yet.

The water system has not been pressurized for a few weeks and the lines have been dry for winterization. I'll probably pressurize in a day or so and will see if anything is obvious under static pressure.

Have any of the 38Q folks out there seen this area wet or any apparent plumbing anomaly before and found a guilty contributing plumbing element?

Thanks

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can't really help with where the leak is but I am willing to bet that on our 37F, the washer drains into the grey tank. Wonder why they would be different ?
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not the same model as yours, but our new 2016 Journey came "equipped" with a similar leak. I traced it to the nut on the cold water valve for the washer. It was a bit loose and a very slow drip. At first I thought it was the hose connection.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
On my 2014 Adventurer the washer drains into the grey tank too.

I would check the hose connections to the washer and that te discharge hose is fully in it's location.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think they were saving a pipe run on the drain for the washer and decided to run the washer directly into the black water tank which was closer and near the rear and washer on the 2016 38Q. They made it a 75 gallon black water tank to accommodate the extra water from the washer- but I have run it over accidentally in the past. Not fun. Filled my tool box in a compartment below.

I pressurized the water system with the on board pump today and observed no leakage around the valves and hose connections serving the washer. However I can not see the rear of the washer where they connect. This is making me lean towards it being a slow drain overflowing on the washer-- or associated with my accidental over fill at some point in the past. I guess I am going to run a load or two in the washer next week, pull the drawer and see what I can observe during the cycles.

Just hope its not the washer connections. That would be a bear to get to.

Appreciate all weighing in here. Thanks folks.
Joe
Old 01-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I like the idea of draining the washer into the black water. Really flushes the tank with good soapy water. It would be rare to do laundry when I am not hooked up. Two loads should not fill the 75 gallons as these are water efficient but of course if it was partially fulll you could have a problem as you did. On my Q and my 2015 the cold and hot connections were reversed on both. Access is not bad through the closet.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoo View Post
I like the idea of draining the washer into the black water. Really flushes the tank with good soapy water. It would be rare to do laundry when I am not hooked up. Two loads should not fill the 75 gallons as these are water efficient but of course if it was partially fulll you could have a problem as you did. On my Q and my 2015 the cold and hot connections were reversed on both. Access is not bad through the closet.
I agree with you on the ability and benefit of flushing the black water tank. Like you we never wash unless we are on a sewer drain. Often we run an extra rinse cycle with large loads and did so when the overflow occurred many months ago. Yes the tank was partially filled when I made my goof. Learned my lesson well with that one. I now drain after every load.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

38Q owners have the cleanest black tanks in a campground!

Joe had alerted me, that the washer drained into the black tank before I picked up my new Q. I mentioned it to my salesman and he assured it drained into the gray tank. During my PDI, I again mentioned it to the service tech that was doing the PDI and he also insisted it drained into the gray tank.

I'm glad I trusted Joe's info or I certainly would have over flowed the black too.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have noticed that when I do a load and the sensor shows 1/3 when I flush the toilet I get back pressure the first time I use it after the wash. Hold the blade open for a few seconds and that subsides.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoo View Post
I have noticed that when I do a load and the sensor shows 1/3 when I flush the toilet I get back pressure the first time I use it after the wash. Hold the blade open for a few seconds and that subsides.
LOL- Twice in the past I have done wash-- allowing the black water tank to get rather full- then mindlessly used the facilities and hit the flush valve. On two occasions that resulted in an "Old Faithful eruption" that pretty well covered me and the bathroom wall. Now a days I've learned to just drain after the first washer load and to be safe.

Call me educated Ha- Ha-- but there won't be a third time!!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think that is a good idea. I have not had it hit that bad but definitely an eruption. I thought perhaps my vent pipe was plugged. My tank sensor showed 1/3. As a PS for those whose PDA walkthrough provided wrong info my guy explained how the Suburban water heater worked with the anode rod. I was in a bad mood so I asked him to show it to me. First he could not get the cover open. I showed him the screws underneath. Then he saw the nylon screw. I said gee isn't that an Atwood. He was totally confused so I explained.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

2016 Adventurer 38Q leak near washer?

My 2014 38Q washer drains to the black tank. Incidentally, did you find the water pump?
CincyBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBuckeye View Post
My 2014 38Q washer drains to the black tank. Incidentally, did you find the water pump?
I've located the pump but have not identified how to access it. It sits on top of the water heater. I know how to access the water heater but I think (read hope) I can access it from the outside by opening the outside compartment door covering the heater. I've been behind that door before but never saw the pump. More work to do to figure that out/ May get into it later this week. The water pump is not giving me problems but its one of those things I want to be able to get to promptly if I need to.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

When you open the outside water heater access, look above the water heater and there should be a black metal panel with 6 or 8 screws. The pump is behind there. Take out the screws and you might have to pry a little because there's some adhesive around the panel edges.
CincyBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Update

Thanks CincyBuckeye. I saw that the other day on the on line drawings and will scope it out when I return home.

Well here is the update on the mystery water stain on the wood deck behind the lower rear drawers under the closet next to the washer. Ran a load today with an extra rinse cycle. Pulled the drawer to observe. It was bone dry and no evidence of any current leakage during all cycles.

The blackwater tank was less than 1/4 full at the beginning.

Thus I am pretty sure the stains occurred several months ago when I overfilled the blackwater tank with wash water and whatever.

Lesson learned-- the hard way.

Thanks for the ear and the thoughts folks

Joe
Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Uh Oh still a problem

Well it happened again today. I opened the passenger side rear compartment and sure enough waste water - about a cup full - was dripping down from the washer area above. I pulled the drawer in the rear under the closet and the DW was able to get up in there and felt water running down along the drain pipe. No visible fresh water leaks.

The matter is clearly a constriction or limitation of some sort in the washer drain or a problem with the venting system. I ran two loads this morning, both with the tank valve open so there was no opportunity for tank overflow-- its the drain. The first load didn't seem to leak and I've run about 5 loads in the last week with no problem.

The DW thinks my last load - which seems to be the contributing load- was too large????

It all fit fine in the washer and I swear I have had larger loads in that washer. Regardless the drain should easily capture the discharge. Go figure.

Any ideas?
Joe

Tags
leak, vent