Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
2015 Winnebago Vista Body separating from chassis

Has anyone had a problem with the body separating from the chassis?
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.
rsothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Team
 
WinnieView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Grand Canyon State
Posts: 293
Welcome to Winnie Owners, we are glad you joined us.

If you have the time, completing a signature with the year make and model for your Winnie can help others to help you if and when you need it. And you can do that here;

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/p...=editsignature

We have a gap like that but it's not separation it's just how some motorhomes are built and attached to the chassis.
If you can post pictures of yours that would really help others determine if there's actually a problem.
__________________
2014 View Profile 24G
WinnieView is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista.
The separation seems to be along the passenger side. I see it in the compartments all along the side which has the full length slide out.
rsothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team
 
macnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista.
The separation seems to be along the passenger side. I see it in the compartments all along the side which has the full length slide out.
I’ve never heard of that but agree it sounds like a serious issue worth contacting Winnebago about.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
powercat_ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Manhattan, Kansas USA
Posts: 559
The sidewalls primary connection to the chassis is many self tapping screws behind the metal strip down both sides that has the vinyl decorative strip going down the middle of it that hides all the screws. The issue with separation below that strip is water intrusion into the basement compartments. Personally I have used Eternabond tape which can move and flex to seal those gaps in particular in the front and at the wheel well on the passenger side. I have the same problem on the driver's side, too and also addressed it the same way. If I had noticed the problem while still under warranty I would have brought it to Winnebago as a warranty issue and I suspect they would have slathered sealant in the gaps.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The sidewalls primary connection to the chassis is many self tapping screws behind the metal strip down both sides that has the vinyl decorative strip going down the middle of it that hides all the screws. The issue with separation below that strip is water intrusion into the basement compartments. Personally I have used Eternabond tape which can move and flex to seal those gaps in particular in the front and at the wheel well on the passenger side. I have the same problem on the driver's side, too and also addressed it the same way. If I had noticed the problem while still under warranty I would have brought it to Winnebago as a warranty issue and I suspect they would have slathered sealant in the gaps.
Thanks for the info. After a recent trip where I was traveling through a lot of rain my compartments were very wet, something I had not seen before.
Are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps to keep out water?
rsothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
powercat_ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Manhattan, Kansas USA
Posts: 559
> are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps.

Yes. The root cause of the problem is that Winnebago builds their basement compartments mounted to the chassis they have no top or outside walls. The floor becomes the top and the sidewall becomes the outside. These joints just don't get totally 100% sealed the way Winnebago builds Vistas. It's frustrating as I am sure Winnebago engineering knows it's a problem and they have never made a design change so that assembly has something they can build reliably to not leak.

In addition, note that the side doors in particular the long ones with the side hinges may not be water tight when driving thru rainy weather. Air pressure forces water past the seal into the basement due to the flex that happens when there is that much length between the hinge and the latch. You can adjust them so they close tighter this may help but it also makes the doors require more effort to close so that they latch properly.

Finally inspect the wire harness openings in the back side of some basement compartments. One was not completely sealed on my Vista that can also be a source of water entry.

Good luck.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Park Super's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
Thanks for the info. After a recent trip where I was traveling through a lot of rain my compartments were very wet, something I had not seen before.
Are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps to keep out water?
Our coach had water in our compartments after driving in the rain. We took it to the dealer for repair. The service manager said the rear wheals were forcing water up and forward and into the compartments. They sealed the gap in the forward facing rear wheal wells with silicon and this solved the issue. I was surprised because the water had traveled so far forward, but at 60 mph it makes sense.
__________________
Martin & Michelle and our dog Blue, Paradise, CA.
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N, Sumo Springs, rear track bar, Safe-T- Steer, Dish
2017 Equinox Premier AWD V6, Blue OX base and bar, SMI Stay and Play Duo
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the body separating from the chassis?
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.
Welcome to the Frustration and disappointment of owning a Winnebago product. This week I had a large fiberglass bubble (size of a steering wheel) appear on the roof of my 2016 Winnebago. I had it accessed at a Winnebago authorized dealer who communicated with the warranty and staff at Winnebago. Results: one of the ribs has lifted which created the large bubble on your roof. This is normal and not under warranty. The roof should be replaced. Estimate= $20,000.00
Welcome aboard.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #10
NXR
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
Results: one of the ribs has lifted which created the large bubble on your roof. This is normal and not under warranty. The roof should be replaced. Estimate= $20,000.00
Welcome aboard.
Moonie
Sorry, I'm not following something. Aren't the roofs covered by a 10-year warranty? And if it's "normal" why is a roof replacement recommended?

Thanks,

Ray
__________________
Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the body separating from the chassis?
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.

There are several major bolts that hold the house down on the chassis and if those loosen (which they do) then the screws holding the trim and seal members in place will not be able to make up for it. My coach traveled the rough AlCan Highway before I bought it and half of the nuts on those large bolts had loosened and were spun down almost to the end of the bolt leaving about a 3/8 inch gap. I regularly check them for tightness whenever I am underneath for a chassis lube or other maintenance checks and have found them to have loosened on a number of occasions.



To me they should be checked at least annually. If you keep up with the recommendation to regularly check for loose chassis bolts then the other issues will be less likely to occur.


Dealers may be remiss on checking them when they do their PDI. Considering the variety of materials being joined together, checking these bolts for loosening (due to settling during the delivery drivers trip to the dealer with the rig) should be a required element.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Sorry, I'm not following something. Aren't the roofs covered by a 10-year warranty? And if it's "normal" why is a roof replacement recommended?

Thanks,

Ray
Welcome aboard RAY. I too heard and read that a 10 year warranty was part of the deal. In fact the sales literature brags about Winnebago having the best warranty in the industry. But read the fine print... you get a 1 year warranty!

Moreover, when a side rib/rail lifts upward from the coach frame; then pushes the fiberglass upwards with it; how can that be normal? But I have it in PDF print from Winnebago. Sadly, I have already put $10,000. into the rig to get it to be normal!

Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the body separating from the chassis?
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.
My 2015 Itasca Ellipse Ultra has done the same. The panel over the rear tires has pulled away Lazy Days has repaired it twice. It’s still not a flush seamless fit but but supposedly “fixed”.
doc2often is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winnebago, chassis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excess chassis battery draw Chevy P30 chassis n0ukf Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 3 09-25-2018 02:03 PM
full body paint job ron55 Winnebago General Discussions 10 01-19-2009 04:17 AM
2004 Journey Full Body Paint Peeling above Windshield Golfingene Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 30 10-17-2007 12:04 PM
Winnebago/Itasca Full body Paint stonewings Winnebago General Discussions 13 03-22-2007 12:40 PM
Full Body Paint ??? shastaron Winnebago General Discussions 15 05-18-2006 11:09 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.