Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Vista 36B Issues

Was told that I could use this coach thru the year without problems. Well the temperature dropped to 29 degrees and the water pump froze even though I have the coach furnace at 70 degrees. Now I'm concerned with the holding tanks and everything else in the ( heated compartments ). I do use the coach year round in the north and need to know what kind of problems I'm in for and how to prepare for them.
OhioVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 vista 35b and i do not winterize and use mine all winter too. The compartments are not heated and you MUST run another heater in the wet bay and where compartments with water are. I would like to know who told you it would not freeze. It is a full time job to keep these rvs from freezing in the winter, especially when the temps drop into the teens and below. I happen to like the challenge, but id imagine not many others would. I have electric blankets, electric heaters, trouble lights etc. in the wet bay and in the compartment where the fresh water tank is. I dont even want to think about how much extra money i am spending on electric to run all this heat.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I recently asked Winnebago about cold weathet use for our 2012 Vista 30 T and they said good to 26 degrees if furnace is working properly as holding tank bays are heated. Below that winterize. I guess the key is "working properly".

Given the location of the water pump near a bay door I would guess that is the most suspectable to freezing. I blow the system out and fill when travelling if temps are forcasted for above mid 20's.

Our 04 Sightseer had the water tank under the bed along with the pump and had rear heat also that ran off engine coolant. Never had issue with that rig and colder weather. Our first wintet with this one so will see.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am surprised that the op water pump froze at 29 with the furnace running. Maybe the electric cord opening wasnt closed all the way?
Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Place a 40w light bulb in your water pump compartment. Same with the sewer compartment.

You could also get a thermostat that will turn on and off the power to the light bulb.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

One thing you can do to be better informed of a pending freeze problem is to buy an AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refrig...perature+gauge

Put temp transmitter 1 in the basement near the water tank and pump and put temp transmitter 2 in another part of the basement you think is most exposed to a water line or grey / black tank freezing. This has alarms that can be set to alert you if temp drops below your alarm setting.

This can warn you so you can switch on the light bulbs to keep the basement warm enough to avoid freezing.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2015 Vista

Thank you to everyone who responded. The salesman at General RV told me the tank area and the sewer compartments were heated. This is my third RV in three years, the first two were Class C, a Fleetwood, a Thor and now my Class A Winnebago. What bothers me is if I was aware of any issues I have no problems taking the steps to solve them. Just don't lie to me. My wife was concerned with driving a class A so the first two were class C, talked her into the Class A and I love it. Anyway, to stay on topic, the Vista has two septic compartments and the water pump is in the aft one. If anyone has gone through the proper heating retrofit for this rig that will protect both on the road and while on shore power I'm all ears.
Thanks for your time.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Is it a 35b. I am not aware of a 36b
Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OOOPS, you're right 35B
Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

As i said in an earlier post i also have a 35b. To retrofit, what i did was set 2remote temp gauges in the drivers side rear and in the passenger side rear so that i can monitor the temps. Then in the drivers side rear, i put an electric blanket on the floor to help insulate the compartment. Installed a small electric heater and a trouble light in there. Now i am ready for all types of cold. Just turn on whats appropriate for the temperature. In the passanger side rear, i ran an extension cord from the drivers side compartment, covered the fresh water tank with an electric blanket, installed a trouble light and a small electric heater. Im ready for cold temps there too. Last January was in northern Illinois for a few days and it got to 2 degrees. I was running the furnace and the heaters in the bays and my fresh water froze. I called winnebago and he told me to run a heater in the compartment where the fresh water drain is. I did that and it thawed out with no damage. The next night it got to 2 degrees again but i dripped the kitchen sink slightly and nothing froze. Im afraid that you will need to do something like this if you want to avoid winterizing. Its not much fun. Another idea i have been considering is skirting, but thats a whole new topic.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Motohomo,
Could you tell me if your hot water tank has 1 or 2 shut off (bypass) valves? Mine has only one on the hot water discharge.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I believe its 1,will have to look to be sure.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I recently camped in cold weather in my 35b, put an electric heater in the rear wet bay, no problems. I like the electric blanket idea. I guess if you are boon docking with no hookups, you would be in trouble.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Smacdiesel, with no hookups you would have to run the generator and use an extension cord from the inverter bay. I have thought thus through because when i was in chicago i only had 20 amps from my in laws house and was worried about blowing the breaker. I would have switched to generator.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Since we have some 35B owners in one spot which is usually tough to find I have a quick question. The outside door for the circuit breakers on the driver side what key is used for opening it? Is it the same trimark key that opens the bays? Just trying to see if my lock is frozen or jammed or I am not using the right key.
Thanks in advance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Same key as the storage bays and front engine access door.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks that is what I thought. Must be a problem with the lock. Rather work on it now than when I really need to get in there to reset a breaker. Because you know that will happen about 3am in a rain storm!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

On our 30T it is the door latch key. Note not the dead bolt key. On our coach that is the key with the round grey head. Only odd ball key for storage bays
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Got it open. The board that holds up the circuit breakers had its screws that hold it in place back out due to vibration. This was resting against the lock mechanism which caused the lock to jam.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
JBP
Winnie-Wise

For important questions I rarely pay attention to what a salesman tells me. I have found that my best results is this forum or going back to directly to Winnebago and talking to them about my situation. I understand that sometimes the wait to get to Winnebago is long. But the last three times I've called the wait has been very short. And the help received was to the point direct and very thorough.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote