Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2015 Vista 30T Spare Tire

We would like to carry a mounted spare on our Vista 30T. The compartment in the bedroom slide (drivers side, aft) is the only area where a tire can fit. Concerned that the slide mechanism won't be able to handle that much additional weight. Does anyone have experience in carrying a spare in that location or have other ideas for this model? We have about decided to use a mount on the hitch, but wanted to check here first.
iren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our 2013 Vista 30T came with the spare already in that location. Not one of Winnebago's brightest design! It's a bear to remove and replace the spare, I had to build a temporary support system when I rotated the tires. I hope to never need the spare while traveling.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Spares are a piece of mind, but how many times do you have to change you car's tire when on the road? Is it worth the extra expense to carry something you may never use and will eventually have to replace 5 to 7 years down the road? I carry road insurance for tires and mechanical repairs. To play the Devil's advocate..why not carry a spare engine, refrigerator, or stove because "maybe" they might fail. Good Sam or any other service is lighter on the wallet as it doesn't add to the weight of the vehicle.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

DGundy just about said it all. We have a 2013 Vista 30 T chassis on a 2014 unit. That space in the slide would be a real bear to use as a spare. I envisioned all kinds of scratches trying to get a spare in there myself. Ain't going to happen but you do have some other options not covered.

One choice would be to just carry the tire only in that space. That would give you some piece of mind knowing that all you needed was someone to change the tires.

I'm sure just one guy could heft it into that space. I'm not a weak guy but a full spare is way beyond my ability to get it into that space without some sort of lift.

Another option is this. If you had a front flat take a rear tire off and use it to get you to a shop. If your flat is on the rear you can still drive. Good idea to remove the flat spare.

I made this same suggestion once before and boy did i catch it from some folks.

"You can't drive with just three rear tires" "You'll ruin the single tire on the rear." And a few more comments. Speaking from this experience here's why I'd chance it!!!

Many year ago while traveling through Kansas City I hit a big hole with a rear tire. Just one of those holes that I couldn't avoid. I didn't think to much about it. We continued North through MO and into Iowa heading to Canada for some fishing. About 20 miles south of MN the inner RR dual tire shredded to pieces.

We made it into MN and the tire shop there did have 1 GY tire.

Here's what I now know happened. When I hit that hole the tire blew out. We didn't hear it if it did make noise. The air I'm sure leaked almost immediately. Then the tire heated up while cruising the rest of the day then it shredded. I don't have a map handy but I know it was at least 5-6 more hours of driving on three tires and at least 250 to 300 + miles at full road speeds before the tire came apart.

I do understand all about the heat and how running more pressure (3- tires) creates more friction and heat. Would I be afraid to drive 20 to 70 miles (next exit) on three tires at slow (45-MPH) road speeds with blinkers on to a repair facility? No!!

We do not carry a spare tire. Because of the smaller tire (19.5") I can change them. With a Ranger TOAD I can R&R the flat and drive some place to find a spare.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks TeJay! 🖒🚍
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think you should consider carrying a AC powered pancake air compressor (assumes you have inverter) and a quality tire plugging kit instead of carrying a 7th tire and rim. Personally I carry the Stop and Go 1075 Tire Plugger with Gun Repair Kit, a Porter Cable Pancake Compressor, and air hose on a retractable reel. Lot less weight than a tire and rim !

I would also run with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System if you don't already so you get immediate awareness of any tire losing air and are always starting out with enough air in all tires. Just my 2 cents.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all. I appreciate your insights. Wild Bill, I assume you have Schwintec slide mechanism?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iren View Post
Wild Bill, I assume you have Schwintec slide mechanism?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I asked the same question (putting mounted spare into bedroom slide storage compartment) directly to Winnebago. Kudos Steve, Service Advisor, Winnebago Industries for responding. His comment: "I see no problem putting a spare in that compartment". He was answering my question regarding the slide handling the weight, not the practicalities of actually getting a spare into or out of that compartment . Wanted to include Winnebago's response to this thread, in case someone else has a similar question. Thanks, all, for your input!!