Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2015 Vista 27N - Water intrusion into basement ?

I drove my 2015 Vista 27N Westbound across far western Kansas and Colorado last weekend in snow / sleet / rain with a strong north wind blowing, over two days for a total of about 8 hours total driving time.

Got water intrusion into my passenger side basement compartments.

I had minor water penetration before driving in short shots of light rain last year. So, I had already adjusted all the compartment doors latch catches so the doors close tighter than they were set OEM at the factory. This latest event happened after that.

Not lots of water this time but due to the design of the basement compartments the carpet glued to the floors of the basement compartments gets water soaked and there's no way to get them dried out other than empty the compartments and leave the doors open for the carpet to dry once I have wicked out as much water as I can with towels.

Any others with similar issues and did you find a solution other than not driving long distances in driving rain with cross wind?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 Sunstar 31ft and last week drove in the rain for hours and the passenger side behind the rear wheel was soaked . When I got home I washed the coach but no water came through the door seals. It must be coming up and over from the swirling of the highway .
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Same with my 2014 Itasca 26HE. Drove Missouri, Kansas, Colorado in heavy rain last week, water in aft basement. I assume it's the door but haven't looked at it real hard yet.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks, My passenger side doors all are side hinged, not sure if that has anything to do with it. No light coming thru the side walls where there are a few wiring harness pass thru holes that seem to be properly factory sealed.

I had dirty water dis-coloration on the upper rear inside of the side wind side basement doors well above the center latches. Had the same thing on every single passenger side basement door, even the high one in the very back of my Vista. I am thinking water pushed in by side wind is getting in at the upper rear corner radius of those doors. Will post on IRV2 if I figure it out and figure out some way to fix it. Sounds like it's a shared design on lots of late model Winnebagos and the problem is not specific to my 2015 Vista.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have the same problem on our 2014 Vista 27N. No leaks when just sitting in the rain, but driving in the rain dumps lots of water in the large compartment just in front of the passenger rear tire. None of my other compartments seem to leak. Water doesn't seem to be coming from the door or the bottom, but it is hard to tell.

We think we found the problem - on ours, the inverter is mounted to the rear wall of that compartment with lots of sheet metal screws going thru that wall to hold the inverter bracket and wiring harnesses. It doesn't look like they were sealed very well. The visible water streaks seem to mostly be on that back wall, so it looks like water is coming in there from the wheel-well. We cleaned the wheel well and sprayed some liquid rubber on that wall inside the wheel-well. (don't remember the exact product - got it from Home Depot). I've only driven in light rain since then, but it did seem to cut down on the water significantly. Still leaking some, so it needs another coat or 2.

Look for streaks running down the walls of the compartment - that may lead to the source (unless of course it's coming from the floor under the carpet.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else is able to completely solve the problem.

Bill
vawinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

27N water leak

We have a 2015 and had leaks from day one. The problem was the kitchen faucet. It had an internal leak and even when off it leaked down the supply lines and into the bay just behind the passenger. After they replaced the faucet all was good for 3 trips and the same again. Discovered the supply connections leaked. Added a 12 inch flex line between the faucet lines and the hard lines. Problem solved.
rvmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

we just got our 2016 vista lx 27n i read your post and caulked all those screw holes and still got a little water in the middle of the compartment just inside the door after being under the coach im not sure if they used any sealent on the panels that make up the compartment so i will run a bead around them because a little water leak will get sucked in buy the carpet also in the compartment behind the drivers seat took some water to maybe ill have the dealer use there caulking other than that we love this coach a 100 times nicer than the thor vegas we had for two months ugggg.
1badhemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water