Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 TOUR slide-out broken

I own a 2015 Tour and when we were ready to head home the slide-out would not pull in. Finally got it in with help from Winn (coach-net) service. It is held in now with 4 - 2x4's. I am driving home from CA to Ohio. I am trying to decide if I should stop at Forest City, IA or continue home and have my Winne dealer fix it. I called my contact at home and he assured me that they could fix it. I am very upset that I would have this trouble after 7 months of owning this MH. Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If it were me, I'd go to factory. We're head there ourselves next month for a motorhome checkup under premise that factory technicians have the most experience with the full diversity of repair problems. Suggest making appointment as soon as possible. Factory does have a few 50-amp hookups.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Call the factory and set-up an appointment for the repair, if they know you're coming and what the issues are they'll be better able to service you unit in a more timely manner.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Go to Forest City!
Call first.
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Thursdays and Fridays are generally easier to book than Mondays.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was under the impression the slide fiasco had been resolved??

We were very lucky to purchase one of the last assembled 2012 Tours.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

First of all; "stuff happens" regardless of the coach. It just does so you just have to accept that it is part of the RV experience.
If you have the time I would go back to the factory with a list of anything else that needs to be fixed under warranty. In addition if you have any mods or additions that you would like the independent services around most factories are excellent whether that be Forest City, Red Bay, or Elkhart.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

we just bought a 2014 Tour QD at La Mesa in Tucson. It had the slide problem before we bought it. We got a good price, made the deposit and they repaired it before we closed. They did a good job, replaced the motor, reinstalled the slide and did touch up painting where there was repositioning due to faulty original work. We've been travelling east on I-10 and using them every day...so far so good.
louisejewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Called factory, can't get into Forest City until June. Tech said my dealer should be able to fix just as well as Winne. He indicated that Lippert has improved the slide mechanism and dealer should coordinate with Winn and Lippert. I live 3 miles from dealer so I am heading home.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hunter41: Keep us posted.

Selah: You must have just parachuted in on the Winnebago Owners Forum. Winnebago changed slide vendors and many, many owners have experienced slide problems. So it's not a matter of "things happen". It's a well known problem, if you were following...!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Hunter41: Keep us posted.

Selah: You must have just parachuted in on the Winnebago Owners Forum. Winnebago changed slide vendors and many, many owners have experienced slide problems. So it's not a matter of "things happen". It's a well known problem, if you were following...!
two-niner,
I'm going to have to side with Selah on this one. The primary reason is, these coaches, and every single part in them, is/ARE MAN MADE! And, anything man made, CAN BREAK. Now while there can be an inherent problem built into a series of coaches, that doesn't mean that the rest of the entire coach is going to be PROBLEM FREE for the rest of the coaches life.

And, if the inherent problem is acknowledged by both the factory and, accompanying dealerships, then basically, all is well and everyone with that particular problem should get it taken care of, in an orderly fashion. But, how many times have we read, on here and other RV forums that someone has purchased a brand new coach and, almost immediately had an arms length list of issues?

Things do happen. If it isn't a slide issue, it could be a plumbing issue or, an electrical issue or, a leak, or brakes or a few zillion other potential MAN MADE defects.

All of us would like to think that, we plop down a ton of money, and drive away with a problem free coach for years to come. On rare, and I mean RARE occasions, that happens. But, with all the folks I personally know that purchased many, many coaches, new and used, there's ALWAYS been at least something that needs to be repaired/altered pretty close to right off the bat. Some things are small and, some are huge, like the slide issue. Anyway, I surely don't mean to be contradictive here, just being real.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Scott: Feel free to side with whom you wish. I was referring specifically to the slide problem that plagued the 2013 & 2014 Winnebago's after slide vendors were changed.

Good grief! Where did I refer to anything else?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I want to disagree with two niner as to it's the slide companies problem. I have a 2014 WBGO Adventurer with a full wall slide and haven't had a problem with it. However there are people out there that do not read the manual on these slides and mess it up themselves.

Before opening the slide I level the coach ( making sure auto-level is actually level) then I run the engine as they say and as yet haven't had any problem. Schwintek is very helpful and if you have any questions call them or Winnebago. I also lube with CRC power lube where Schwintek told me to lube. There is a video on You Tube about how to do it. In fact there is a lot of info on You Tube about Schwintek slides.

As far as going to Winnebago for service I highly recommend it and last time I was there I didn't have an appointment and they took me in.

Good Luck
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

2015 TOUR slide-out broken

I disagree with Tom-NC! I happen to be one of the owners that read every manual issued with both our 2012 Tour and our newest coach, a 2014 Ellipse, and I must have read them at least three times. I listened to our sales and service staff when we did our walk through at purchase. And, like many owners, we always level the coach, operate slides with engine running, and used recommended lube procedures. Lastly, and although we where out of warranty last October, Winnebago shipped us two slide locks even though they were not standard issue with the 2014 or earlier models, and we religiously use those now too to prevent 'slide creep' during travel.

That said, unlike our earlier Tour 42QD, which had PowerGear systems on both larger driver and passenger slides, the 2014 Ellipse 42QD has now had two repair kits installed on the Lippert/Schwintek large passenger slide-out. The repairs were accomplished by dealer service centers, using Lippert-trained service techs in the first 12 months of our ownership. The first failure came after only twelve cycles. The cause was identified, and trust me we heard it, as being improperly installed hardware under the kitchen cabinets adjacent the rail on the aft end of the slide. Unfortunately, the first repair kit installation lasted only nine cycles. The second cause, which was not found the first time, was identified as the coach body opening not being square, clearly an assembly-line mistake. The second service team shimmed the rails to ensure a square fit to the slide-out. Over that twelve month period, of which we were full-timers we lost the use of the failed slide for over four months waiting for schedule repairs and parts arrival, and we lost a total of one month while she was in the shop being repaired twice.

Although the second repair kit has been operating smoothly for fourteen cycles, the reality is that these larger slides had previously been equipped with power glide systems (such as the Tour we previously owned) and engineers switched the design to Lippert/Schwintek to save weight and add capacity in storage areas. It is more of an engineering failure, of which has significantly added to repair costs to the manufacturer while coaches are under warranty, a cost which then shifts to the owners once out of warranty, and a possible loss of value to all owners at the point of trade-in or sale.

In summary, I am glad for those that have been trouble free with their slides, but I ask for a little understanding and respect for owners that have not been so fortunate, and that you not assume that the issue is/was 'owner-caused'.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Fire up and Tom-NC. Chris is spot on (Post #13).

Glenda1908 started a thread titled "2013 Tour", now about 1300 replies. I didn't go back and actually count the numbers, but maybe 150 posts were about the NEW SLIDE gear manufacturer.

The amazing part of THIS thread, Tour owners who complained the most were silent. Thank you, to them. Yes (Tom-NC might be right) after reading all your troubles, apparently the stack of manuals were unread.

My sympathy was misplaced and parachutes do indeed work. I know, sarcasm will get me nowhere.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Scott: Feel free to side with whom you wish. I was referring specifically to the slide problem that plagued the 2013 & 2014 Winnebago's after slide vendors were changed.

Good grief! Where did I refer to anything else?
Don't forget the 12's. We caught it in the shorts first. My driver's side front slide failed twice. But I was lucky. It was in both times. Now I'm gunshy. Unless we're staying for a few day, that slide stays in.
By the way, you were correct!!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Fire up and Tom-NC. Chris is spot on (Post #13).

Glenda1908 started a thread titled "2013 Tour", now about 1300 replies. I didn't go back and actually count the numbers, but maybe 150 posts were about the NEW SLIDE gear manufacturer.

The amazing part of THIS thread, Tour owners who complained the most were silent. Thank you, to them. Yes (Tom-NC might be right) after reading all your troubles, apparently the stack of manuals were unread.

My sympathy was misplaced and parachutes do indeed work. I know, sarcasm will get me nowhere.
I must object to your comment about manuals being unread. The truth is that the earlier Lippert systems were not sturdy enough to handle the weight. (My opinion) The slide for the bedroom is fine but it's less than 10' wide. My issue has been with the galley slide. Close to 20' with the sink, stove, couch and all the stuff in the cabinets. It just too heavy for the mechanism. Enough said!
Just curious. What rig do you have?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk: I just updated my profile to show a 2012 Tour QD.(purchased new three years ago).

The "not read the manuals" wisecrack was to inspire a response, which you did. You noted I am not the originator of that statement.

Chris (post 13) is still spot on, switching vendors....
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

two-niner -----good show. do you have the Lippert system on your coach? If you do and haven't had any problems, you are one of the lucky few. Where are you in Vegas? We're at Nellis AFB for another month.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk: No, we have the power gear system. Ours was one of the last 2012's built so not sure how that happened. It's almost impossible people like you and me (and others), with our background, to not have read the manuals repeatedly.

DW has to have blood tests at Nellis next Monday. She plans on leaving here about 10:00am. I could go with her and have a quick visit at your location, if that's possible? Would probably be about 10:30 - 11:00am. Let me know.

Kerry
CWO, USA, Ret
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

That won't work, Kerry. I have a Dr appointment downtown at 1130 Monday. But if you ever get up this way, we're in Site 56 at the Fam Camp.
My Meridian, I think, was one of the first off the line with the same floor plan as yours but just reversed. So I was lucky enough to get the Lippert on the galley slide. Phooey!!!
This thing was the Winnibago Demo model for 2012 so it was pretty well squared away when I bought it. Then after a year, the slide decided to go belly up.
Bruce

Tags
slide