Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2015 Tour 42QD Slide Controller

I'm having a problem with one of my Schwintek slidesl

I know where the controller is for the bedroom slide but I'll be darned if I can find the controller for the kitchen slide.

Help!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Found it in the slide-out bay front up on the ceiling.
Flashing code 8
Old 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm having a problem with one of my Schwintek slidesl

I know where the controller is for the bedroom slide but I'll be darned if I can find the controller for the kitchen slide.

Help!

You do have a One Place control center where all of your meters and controls are located? Take a good look. Mine are so hard to see that I need to boost myself up a bit to read the labels. My controls are located different from yours but they do the same job.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rick, even though I have a 2015 it is a 2014 build and I don't have the "one touch" control panel. Mine are all analog. The kitchen slide controller for mine is in the basement slide-out bay on the ceiling of the bay on the front of the bay. Oh, and my kitchen slide is a Power Gear with the Schwintek slide controller.

Having said that-- slide controller fixed. Actually it was not bad at all. Some background: At our last stop when putting out the slide a tube of Earlene's lotion somehow got between the slide wall and made a strange sound when putting the slide out. I stopped the extension and retracted the slide enough for Earlene to retrieve the object. It was intact. I proceeded in continuing to extend the slide. (Wrong thing to do)

I stopped at Camper Connection in Myrtle Beach, SC. (Camper Connection is expanding across the US) and they are a Lippert Components dealer. The mobile tech I had was very knowledgeable and I really learned a lot.

When extending a Power Gear or Schwintek slide with the Schwintek slide controller always continue in the same direction of travel. Never stop it and change directions. Doing so will confuse the slide controller memory and possibly cause a stall. In our case we could not retract. If this happens:

On the slide controller push the button 6 times and on the 7th time hold it in until the light flashes rapidly. Be careful as this over-rides all the safety functions of the controller. You can damage a slide if you are not careful. Once the light is blinking rapidly try retracting it again (or extending) It shoud move the slide. If it stalls bring it in/out and start over.

An important item in operating those slides. When extending or retracting, once the slide has stopped hold the switch for a additional 5 seconds to allow the controller to complete the memory cycle.

That's the best way I could explain it.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick, even though I have a 2015 it is a 2014 build and I don't have the "one touch" control panel. Mine are all analog. The kitchen slide controller for mine is in the basement slide-out bay on the ceiling of the bay on the front of the bay. Oh, and my kitchen slide is a Power Gear with the Schwintek slide controller.

Having said that-- slide controller fixed. Actually it was not bad at all. Some background: At our last stop when putting out the slide a tube of Earlene's lotion somehow got between the slide wall and made a strange sound when putting the slide out. I stopped the extension and retracted the slide enough for Earlene to retrieve the object. It was intact. I proceeded in continuing to extend the slide. (Wrong thing to do)

I stopped at Camper Connection in Myrtle Beach, SC. (Camper Connection is expanding across the US) and they are a Lippert Components dealer. The mobile tech I had was very knowledgeable and I really learned a lot.

When extending a Power Gear or Schwintek slide with the Schwintek slide controller always continue in the same direction of travel. Never stop it and change directions. Doing so will confuse the slide controller memory and possibly cause a stall. In our case we could not retract. If this happens:

On the slide controller push the button 6 times and on the 7th time hold it in until the light flashes rapidly. Be careful as this over-rides all the safety functions of the controller. You can damage a slide if you are not careful. Once the light is blinking rapidly try retracting it again (or extending) It should move the slide. If it stalls bring it in/out and start over.

An important item in operating those slides. When extending or retracting, once the slide has stopped hold the switch for a additional 5 seconds to allow the controller to complete the memory cycle.

That's the best way I could explain it.

So, Wayne, when you are operating the slides you need to be in the weather of the day? Bummer. That's almost as bad as having a tow dolly to contend with.

I have all Power Gear slides. Do you have the rack and pinon gear one? If so, watch the end plates where the slide support mounts to the end of the rack. The bolts have a nasty habit of breaking. Happened to me twice. Once on each front slide.

I need to contact these folks and find out what it takes to calibrate my slide motors. There is a slight movement differential left and right. I fear this is putting excessive strain on the rack ends.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rick,
So sorry I have been negligent in answering post. For some reason I was not getting notified.

This thread is way old but in case: Calibrating the motors is to just hold the in or out button for an extra 5 seconds or longer. You can hold them for 10 seconds or longer if you wish. According to LCI it will not hurt the system.

Again, mine are analog spring loaded switches but since I have been doing that I have not had another problem. When the slide is all the way in, or all the way out, when I hold the button in I can hear one motor whir for a second or two while it caches up with synchronization.

Again, so sorry I missed this post - and a few others. Trying to catch up now.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick,
So sorry I have been negligent in answering post. For some reason I was not getting notified.

This thread is way old but in case: Calibrating the motors is to just hold the in or out button for an extra 5 seconds or longer. You can hold them for 10 seconds or longer if you wish. According to LCI it will not hurt the system.

Again, mine are analog spring loaded switches but since I have been doing that I have not had another problem. When the slide is all the way in, or all the way out, when I hold the button in I can hear one motor whir for a second or two while it caches up with synchronization.

Again, so sorry I missed this post - and a few others. Trying to catch up now.

Thanks for catching up Wayne.

Will this work for my front slides with the Power Gear touch pads? The back slides are the spring switches and have only one rail and motor per slide as far as I can see.

Thanks again.
Rick
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rick, I don't even want to take a guess on "touch pads." Even though mine is a 2015 the build was 2014. All my controls are analog. Even have a 3 burner gas range and a 28 gall propane in the bay. My serial number has a T1 in it and the 2015 build has a T2 in the serial number.

My personal thoughts are that either way the motors are still just that, motors, and have to stay synchronized. So, in thought, holding the touch panel in or out for 5 extra seconds should work the same way - just my thoughts.

I have found LCI to be easy to deal with over the phone - maybe give them a call about what was said/discussed on this thread about holding the button in. Please let us know if you do call them.

My kitchen slide is Shwintec controler and power gear rack and pinion. The bedroom slide is all Shwintec and the serpent rack the slide travels on.

I'm not happy with the way the industry categorizes the year of a vehicle. Made in August it is a 1 but if it is made in September through july of the next year it is a 2 but the call it the same 12. Example is my 2014 build and your 2015 build. Just a few subtle differences but when talking about repairs it's apples and oranges.

Tags
slide