Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Suncruiser leaking front cap

I have a 2015 37f that has 3400 miles on it. This past week we had a soaking rain every day. The unit is parked in my back yard and I went out to put some stuff in it when I found the following;
water leaking in from the passenger window, the same from the drivers window. When I opened the front overhead cabinet, I found the ceiling dropped down and the floor of it was soaked with water.

Upon checking the front of the coach I found the carpet soaked with enough water to squish out as I stepped on it. The driver and passenger dash sides had standing water on it and some leaked into the dashboard pod.

To stop the leaks I put duct tape over the seam of the cap and the roof. I also taped the top of the windows.

The tap worked and stopped the leaks and I put a dehumidifier in the unit to pull the water out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had this unit six months and never had a problem with water leaking in the coach. When I mentioned I had a leak to the dealer not telling him where it was. He said I bet its at the front cap. Going to bring it to him on the 16th.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443667771.486639.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	108461
Almost everyone has this leak and it is the cap. Mine is a 2003 and second owner and you could see areas they tried to fix it but didn't one thing I did was to put down spouts on front and rear this way when it rains it will hit this and not go under the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It should not leak. Make the dealer replace the carpet and all of the cardboard stuff in the over head. Make sure you check ALL of the electrical stuff because it all got wet as\nd will fail some time down the road. After they get finished make sure you observe them doing a pressure test on the unit to ensure there is no further leaks and then get rid of the unit as soon as possible
Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobder41 View Post
I have a 2015 37f that has 3400 miles on it. This past week we had a soaking rain every day. The unit is parked in my back yard and I went out to put some stuff in it when I found the following;
water leaking in from the passenger window, the same from the drivers window. When I opened the front overhead cabinet, I found the ceiling dropped down and the floor of it was soaked with water.

Upon checking the front of the coach I found the carpet soaked with enough water to squish out as I stepped on it. The driver and passenger dash sides had standing water on it and some leaked into the dashboard pod.

To stop the leaks I put duct tape over the seam of the cap and the roof. I also taped the top of the windows.

The tap worked and stopped the leaks and I put a dehumidifier in the unit to pull the water out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have had this unit six months and never had a problem with water leaking in the coach. When I mentioned I had a leak to the dealer not telling him where it was. He said I bet its at the front cap. Going to bring it to him on the 16th.
I have a 15 WGO Adventurer 32H and had a leak that would drip on the dash at times when it rained....not all of the time...that was the kicker...Went back to the dealer (Roy Robinson) in WA and they had a hell of a time replicating the leak...they ran water over the roof for days and only when they drove the MH did the water leak appear. They did reseal the cap area...I now live in AZ and have not seen any leaks to date. Doesn't rain that much here but we have had a few rain events and so far it is dry.
Sounds like you have a major water issue on the roof....good luck!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have had the same problem in the past with this dealer saying they could not replicate an issue, now when i have one I take pictures. When I show them to them they just shut up and try again.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had a $129. Pressure test done by local RV Service center (does not sell RVs) and they found several leaks. Entire coach resealed and never had another problem. BTW, my dealer ran water hose over it and told me the samething, they could not replicate the problem.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have had the same problem in the past with this dealer saying they could not replicate an issue, now when i have one I take pictures. When I show them to them they just shut up and try again.
I took pictures as well....otherwise I bet the Dealer would have just said NTF (no trouble found).
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Bob:

Do a search in this forum for windshield leaks, I believe the original post was about an Adventurer. Anyway I followed that poster's recommendations to stop the leak above the windshield which leaked onto the dash. I know it's really frustrating to have a coach that leaks when it rains. I used to have an 2014 Itasca Solei 34T, and we constantly were chasing leaks in the driver/passenger windows, windshield, and the basement bays. If you're still under warranty, make Winnebago fix it, if not you're on your own. Good luck.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

still chasing down leaks on my 2012 36M.
It looks like it is the cap to frame seal behind the rubber trim across the top. If I pull the upper lip of the rubber trim forward while running the hose, then water comes into the coach.

Have your dealer try that.

I'm currently trying to see if it is glass to frame leak then window, if so, then I'll take it to a auto glass place.

If it is the fiber glass cap to frame, I'll seal it my self with polyurethane sealant.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I am glad I took the pictures of the water on the dash, in the front cabinet and on the arm rests by the front windows. It took them a week to find the leak.
It spent 2 days in the rain room with the unit level and had no leaks. The dealer called me to tell me they can't find the leak. When I told him the unit never leaked when it was level and that it only leaked when the front end was down and I did not have the jacks down. He raised the front jacks and the unit was down in the front by 2 degrees. With in a hour the water was leaking from the passenger window and overhead cabinet.
They pulled down the cabinet on the right side and everything above the right passenger window. 2 leaks were found, one at the cap on the right side and roof and the other above the windshield.
The dealer is replacing the cabinet including the cardboard interior, the wood interior on the passenger side of the cab and the carpeting before checking out the electronics.
Right now I am being told it will be at least another 2 weeks before they can get to the other issues with the coach.
Will post what the final results are when I get it back.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Glad they found it and it's getting taken care of. Let them keep it as long as it takes. When you go to pick it up look at everything, then operate everything. There are a lot of cables running up there that will effect a lot of things.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advise, it was suppose to be completed this week. I am being told that after they took down the front cabinet and side trim, they repaired the leak and retested the unit. The dealer replaced some items and put it back together and went to wash the unit. Low and behold the leaks are back. Will update all when I do get it back.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Have them remove the rubber trip or pull it loose on the top edge of the windshield and run water along the edge.
With the rubber strip in place mine only leaked occasionally. With the trim strip pulled away and the channel filled or removed completely, it leaked all the time.

It is scheduled to go to a glass shop for windshield replacement on Tuesday.
Ed
Old 11-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Talked to the dealer today and they told me it was still leaking. Called Winnebago and they pulled up the product the dealer ordered and then the service ticket. Found out the dealer ordered and installed the wrong sealant.

So now they are reordering the correct sealant and will have to remove the wrong stuff they put in. Based on what I was told they are going to have a hard time cleaning out the wrong sealant.

So now I'm told it might be ready next Friday if they receive the correct sealant. Which will make 7 weeks at the dealership.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Talked to the dealer today and they told me it was still leaking. Called Winnebago and they pulled up the product the dealer ordered and then the service ticket. Found out the dealer ordered and installed the wrong sealant.

So now they are reordering the correct sealant and will have to remove the wrong stuff they put in. Based on what I was told they are going to have a hard time cleaning out the wrong sealant.

So now I'm told it might be ready next Friday if they receive the correct sealant. Which will make 7 weeks at the dealership.
It is always nice that you still get to make the payments and the insurance costs while the coach sits on the dealers lot unable to be used.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I called the dealer yesterday and was told the coach is still leaking in the wash booth. I was told that they had a call into Winnebago waiting on a call back because the sealant they installed didn't work.

So I called Winnebago and asked for tech support. When I explained what was going on Terry looked up what the dealer ordered and then looked up the service request. He said the dealer ordered the wrong sealant according to the location of the leak. He said the leak was found in the right radius of the roof to cap seal. I asked him to call the dealer and tell them what they needed. He said he would call them. Terry also said it is going to be difficult to get the wrong sealant off if the one they ordered was put on.

An hour later I called the dealer, he told me he received the call from Winnebago and was going to order the correct sealant with expedited shipping. If all goes right the motorhome might be ready next Friday, it will make 7 weeks at the dealership to get this fixed.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I called the dealer yesterday and was told the coach is still leaking in the wash booth. I was told that they had a call into Winnebago waiting on a call back because the sealant they installed didn't work.

So I called Winnebago and asked for tech support. When I explained what was going on Terry looked up what the dealer ordered and then looked up the service request. He said the dealer ordered the wrong sealant according to the location of the leak. He said the leak was found in the right radius of the roof to cap seal. I asked him to call the dealer and tell them what they needed. He said he would call them. Terry also said it is going to be difficult to get the wrong sealant off if the one they ordered was put on.

An hour later I called the dealer, he told me he received the call from Winnebago and was going to order the correct sealant with expedited shipping. If all goes right the motorhome might be ready next Friday, it will make 7 weeks at the dealership to get this fixed.

First, look in to possible lemon laws in your state.

2nd, if they say it's impossible to remove the incorrect sealant, then what they are really saying is that they cannot return the coach to factory specs.

Document what was said, and state firmly (and in writing) that you feel that if they are not able to fully remove the incorrect sealant, that you interpret that as meaning that a completely correct repair is not possible, and you would like them to buy back the coach.

3rd, whatever the resolution, and even if the leak if corrected, document the amount of time that the coach has been at the dealership awaiting repair, and ask (in writing) that your factory warranty be extended by that amount of time.

Did I mention "document?"

I have found that a paper trail, including jotting down what is said during a phone conversation, who you spoke to, their job title, phone #, time of day, what was discussed, goes a long way to demonstrating exactly what is going on.

Many is the time that I have entered into a negotiation, or mediation and had the "other side" say something like "Well, a while ago, somebody said something like . . . . . " Then I respond, "On July 16th, at 1203, in a phone conversation with John, the Service Writer at ABC Sales he stated "blah blah blah", and my response was . . . . . . "

Situations generally have a much happier resolution for the customer when they document things.

Hope you are successful with your repairs, and have many years of good memories to come with it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scot for the advise and I am keeping track, but no lemon law in TN.

Update to the story.
Last Friday the dealer ordered the correct sealant and it arrived on Monday. The dealer states they cleaned out all of the wrong sealant and applied the correct one.

Wed I received a message that the work was completed and they would put it in the rain room for a test. All of the other work was being completed and we should be able to pick it up on Friday.

Thursday AM I received a text message and was told the coach would be ready Friday.

Thursday PM Got another text message to call them. When I talked to the service writer he said the coach was leaking worse now then before they put the wrong sealant it. Also was told no coach for Thanksgiving.

Dealer stated that they have another call into Winnebago and the tech spent 2 hours on the phone going over the work that was done to make sure it was completed correctly.

Apparently Winnebago wanted the dealer to do a pressure test but they are not equipped with the machine needed to do the work.

Dealer told me to call him on Friday morning and that he was asking Winnebago for assistance since they haven't fix the leak and to see what they can do to get this resolved.

I have owned this coach 33 weeks and 17 of them is the coach at the dealership in 3 different trips. My wife and I have spent a total of 7 nights in the unit. (LOL one expensive hotel on wheels)

It was delivered with 800 miles on it, and now has 3600 showing on the odometer. Out of the 2800 miles that have been placed on the coach since I took possession 1400 of them was to drive it back and forth from the dealer.

This is sure getting old.

Will update again as it happens.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

need advise now on what to do

Update and advise

The dealer called Winnebago for advise and was instructed to check the seals along the roof and the edge caps along the side of the roof.

After they could not find the issue Winnebago told then to recheck the HVAC units and the roof vent. Again no issues with leaks from these units.

The service manager instructed the crew to stop working on it since they had over 30 hrs. in labor on the coach with no results. When I dropped the unit off I had 10 items listed for repairs, one of the issues is were Winnebago forgot to completely paint the left front of the coach, it is back primer instead of paint.

I was told the dealer called Winnebago to ask for some assistance, I really like the coach but I'm at the point they can give me another one, or have them take it back to the factory to repair (just that I am not waiting 3 months for them to fix it). Basically Winnebago told the dealer to fix it.

Was thinking of going to take to another dealer but was told by them that it would be a month before they could even look at it since they did not sell it to me.

I had to go to the dealer to get some items for the holiday. Spent 2 hrs there and was told all of the other items where completed except the leak. Well that's not the case, just by walking in the coach and taking a quick look none of the other items have been started.

At this point I asked for the Winnebago reps phone number and was given an email address. I did send him an email to call me with no response as of yet.

Can someone advise me what my next steps should be.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

UP date Dealer purchased a Sealtech machine and ran the test on the unit. In 15 minutes working on the front roof area, the tech found 2 more leaks.
1. one of the maker lights needs to be resealed 2. the TV antenna is leaking at the roof flange (having satellite on my coach, I have never touched the thing since I bought the coach).

The Winnebago rep. authorized the floor repair of 6 tile, replace the defective GPS system, repaint the left front corner and trim of the coach, clean and adjust the rollers on the full wall slide (dealer had left trash on the wheels causing a hole in the floor tile).

I was told the coach will be ready Thursday for me to pick up.

Note to anybody reading this thread. If you have a water leak and can't repair it yourself. Go to a dealer that has a Sealtech machine.

Hopefully this is my last up date. I will be calling the rep to extend my warranty. My wife and I are planning on going full time in the coach after the first of the year. I hope we can get to that point and trust this coach.

Tags
front cap, leak, suncruiser