Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Vista 35F

We are looking at 35F. I get a little confused looking at the brochure and talking to the salesman. We initially started looking at the 31 KE which the local dealer had on the lot. I have a number of questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

I'm wondering about cockpit room for my rather large frame of 6'4". I'm a fairly tall and I had plenty of room with the slide in and the seat all the way back on the 31KE. But would I have enough room on the 35F? In the brochure the cockpit area (shaded blue) is not as wide and I'm wondering if the distance from the front of the driver's seat to the dash is the same as the 31KE? Seat room might be a deal killer. A dealer has a 35f a couple hours away and I might just run down there to actually ck it out to sit behind the wheel.

Also with the rear bath is there a separate dump area or does the drain tank feed into the grey tank outlet? -Non deal killer but a convenience to be sure.

The brochure has 3 Decor fabric collections listed, Four Seasons, Pecan Frost, and Sonoma. Can these colors be mixed up like pick the Main from pecan Frost and the ultraleather from Sonoma?

Are there any options that should go on the couch from a must have issue or resale issue in 15-20 years, although I doubt if it'll make any difference then.

Is there anything else you all find attractive about the rig or have any regrets about? I know that question might have a lot to do with personal tastes. We would be moving from a 99 Adventurer 37G towing a 09 Pontiac G5 which I really like to the 35F as we'd like to get a recent rig and a little shorter.

Oh BTW, we're in the Gateway City to the west.

A lot of questions, what you all think? Thanks.
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You should have no problem fitting in the cockpit, the steering wheel does tilt too and drivers seat has all kinds of adjustments
As far as options, we have all of them that were available for our year. I do not think you can mix the colors. The only thing we did not get was thermal windows and as far I know they were not offered in the Vista then.
The rear bath shower drains into grey tank, the toilet has separate tank, the half bath also has its own black tank with macerator pump.
We tow a 2013 jeep wrangler with no problems.
The extended couch comes in handy at times, i use it to stretch out to watch TV.
I would get the upgraded couch and chair coverings, nice stuff. Also the vinyl flooring is a lot easier to keep clean than carpet.
We enjoy our 35f, the extra half bath is great in the Am, you can guess who gets the half bath

All dumps are in the rear compartment road side except for the dump valve for the half bath, thats curb side but you can leave that one open I guess as it only goes to the macerator pump.

If you can get to see one in person I would do that, especially if you are concerned about leg room.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've got a 2014 35F and I have almost all of the options. I'm only missing the Power Bed from the ceiling in the front. It might be a good thing to have if you have kids or want to have not so large guest. You will loose some space if you go for the 4 door fridge with Ice maker, but that was a deal breaker for me, I need my Ice machine for cocktails. If you don't need the oven then don't get it. Some space is regained. It does have 2 Black tanks and 1 Grey tank, as stated the front bath toilet has a separate tank with macerator. Lots of storage space underneath. Big difference is that you have grown accustomed to the Adventure with all of it's niceties and you will not get some of those in a Vista. Also the difference in the AC system, Basement verses roof. I myself moved out of a Suncruiser 33V into this new coach and I do miss some of the things it had going for it, even at 11 years old. Great coach so far but I haven't had long enough to really test it out, besides I have a lot of things to do to it to really make it ours.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought a Sunstar 35F last month. The previous posters have already answered your questions, but I'll add a few thoughts of my own.

Being 6'4" is not a problem. I had someone who was 6'4" in the coach with me after delivery and he had no problems getting around and driving it.

I also got the 4-door fridge. Love it.

Get the fireplace, if you can. The fireplace runs on electric power which was very handy when I ran out of propane before I had a chance to refill. The fireplace is more than sufficient to heat the entire coach at night.

I had a few warranty issues which were taken care of by a dealer (not the one that I bought it from) very quickly. What I've heard is that Winnebago is on the upswing financially so they're being generous with warranty claims and such. I got the Winegard Trav'ller satellite system installed which works like a charm. I have an open issue to do a realignment of the steering wheel, which is par for the course.

Very happy with the purchase. I got a great deal on it, so make sure you call around to dealers and play them off each other.

Any other questions?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

we also have the 35f with most of upgrades the only things we don't like are the couch .have lived in for 2 months now its just not comfortable. When we get home are planning on taking couch out and putting in 2 lazy boys. Also don't care for the brakes the hydro max brakes work but act like power brakes with no power. Drove another similar unit and it acted the same. Drive one and experience for your self
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmraz73 View Post
I recently bought a Sunstar 35F last month. The previous posters have already answered your questions, but I'll add a few thoughts of my own.

Being 6'4" is not a problem. I had someone who was 6'4" in the coach with me after delivery and he had no problems getting around and driving it.

I also got the 4-door fridge. Love it.

Get the fireplace, if you can. The fireplace runs on electric power which was very handy when I ran out of propane before I had a chance to refill. The fireplace is more than sufficient to heat the entire coach at night.

I had a few warranty issues which were taken care of by a dealer (not the one that I bought it from) very quickly. What I've heard is that Winnebago is on the upswing financially so they're being generous with warranty claims and such. I got the Winegard Trav'ller satellite system installed which works like a charm. I have an open issue to do a realignment of the steering wheel, which is par for the course.

Very happy with the purchase. I got a great deal on it, so make sure you call around to dealers and play them off each other.

Any other questions?
I adjusted my steering wheel position myself. All it takes is a 14mm wrench and large screwdriver. Remove the bolt from the flex connection on top of steering box, spread the sleeve a bit, lift off knurled shaft and put steering wheel where you want, reinstall sleeve and bolt.....takes 10 minutes..
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for your insight. All good points. Going today to drive one. I'll let you know my thoughts.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well what a rig.

I went and test drove a 35F yesterday. I enjoyed the ride down a little 2 lane state road full of curves and rolling leaning road from right to left. Good thing they put this unit on the shaker. I thought it handled pretty well. No rattles. I didn't run off the road. Was on the dbl yellow line a few times tho. Did wonder if it sways/rolls too much from 1 side to the other. Does it need sway bars or a safe t steer? Any others have this experience?

The dbl sink was only 4 inches deep. About all it'd hold is a bunch of silverware. I wonder if it was the wrong sized sink put in by the factory. What size should the sink be?

Other observations was when the slide pulled in I thought a freight train was going by. Wonder if this had anything to do with being able to view the pavement on the other side of the coach looking thru the space above the 22.5 inch tires. I thought maybe there were some air shocks pumped up so the rear was quite a bit higher than the front. It would lower down once we filled it up with our stuff I was told. It was sitting on a slight incline with the cab facing uphill.

The extension on the couch mechanism was hard to get in place. It pulled out ok but it was tuff getting the seat part moved up. It reminds me of the stow and go in my chrysler Town and Country van. Anyone else have any problems getting that seat up. I thought maybe it was the operator. Once you get the hang of it, it moved pretty well?

Even with these observations we still like the rig. It's roomy and like the position of everything. You were all right, I had plenty of room behind the wheel and felt comfortable. Stay tuned......
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
I went and test drove a 35F yesterday. I enjoyed the ride down a little 2 lane state road full of curves and rolling leaning road from right to left. Good thing they put this unit on the shaker. I thought it handled pretty well. No rattles. I didn't run off the road. Was on the dbl yellow line a few times tho. Did wonder if it sways/rolls too much from 1 side to the other. Does it need sway bars or a safe t steer? Any others have this experience?

The dbl sink was only 4 inches deep. About all it'd hold is a bunch of silverware. I wonder if it was the wrong sized sink put in by the factory. What size should the sink be?

Other observations was when the slide pulled in I thought a freight train was going by. Wonder if this had anything to do with being able to view the pavement on the other side of the coach looking thru the space above the 22.5 inch tires. I thought maybe there were some air shocks pumped up so the rear was quite a bit higher than the front. It would lower down once we filled it up with our stuff I was told. It was sitting on a slight incline with the cab facing uphill.

The extension on the couch mechanism was hard to get in place. It pulled out ok but it was tuff getting the seat part moved up. It reminds me of the stow and go in my chrysler Town and Country van. Anyone else have any problems getting that seat up. I thought maybe it was the operator. Once you get the hang of it, it moved pretty well?

Even with these observations we still like the rig. It's roomy and like the position of everything. You were all right, I had plenty of room behind the wheel and felt comfortable. Stay tuned......
The CHF in the f53 chassis forum will help with the sway along with a rear trac bar.
The Vistas all sit like that, even loaded you can look thru the rear axle area..
The pull out extension does take some getting used to and yes once mastered it can be opened in one pull..
Are sure about the depth of the sinks? Ours are about 8" or so, not great but average for a RV.
Quite a few folks also add a steering stabilizer to their MH too...ours drives quite smoothly now, one handed if I wanted..
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I would not worry about adding a bunch of steering and handling stuff unless you are having issues. If you are then you need to take your MH to a scale and get every wheel weighed. You may need to reload your MH differently and adjust the air pressure in the tires accordingly.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
DJK
Winnebago Watcher

I have the 2013 35F Sunstar and have not had any problems with the steering or any swaying over 10,500 miles. Momma whats the fireplace now, it did not have one when we got it.
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Smile 35F revisited

Well, we pulled the trigger and ordered the 35F. Seemed pretty happy with the unit overall. It's 10 weeks out on production plus a couple for delivery and dealer prep. This should be interesting to say the least.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
DJK
Winnebago Watcher

We all wish you the best of luck and happy camping!
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hope you enjoy it. We really like ours. 10 weeks plus delivery time?? That puts you almost in june...when are the 2015s out?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I love our 35F. I am 6'5" 265lbs and have no issue with the drivers seat. You do have to adjust the seat back to get the right fit. Mine is alway against the slide. Just remember to tilt it forward before letting the slide out.

We have the double fridge, fireplace, overhead bed, and exterior entertainment system. All great options. The kitchen sink is a bit small and the counter space is tight.

Only issue I had was the macerator pump on the 1/2 bath clogged up. I think there was some construction debris that got in the tank then into the pump. Other than that no issues. You will get used to the ride and roll of the chassis. I have not done anything to mine and find it easy to handle after putting 6000 miles on it.

You are going to really enjoy the 35F.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Enjoy it!!! We have the 35B and love it. I am also 6'4" and have no problems with enough room. The only thing that I changed was the mattress. I can usually sleep on anything but the one installed was miserable so in went the sleep number.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Can anyone tell me a ballpark figure on CCC (carrying capacity) of the 35 f. I realize it depends on options but since sEveral of you have fully loaded option wise maybe it would give me an idea if it would work for us. Thanks
RVSolomons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Per the sticker on the screen door of a loaded 2014 35F, the OCCC was 4862 pounds.
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

when ours is fully loaded full of gas and 1/2 tank water and black and gray tanks m/t with 2 people unit weight is 19280#.and yes we love it
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote