Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Tour entry steps

Steps won't come out when the door is opened. Tech guy says it could be a control board or it could be the motor. Since we're in mid-trip, anyone know how to check what the issue might be?

Many thanks.
HeelDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Steps are probably Quickie steps and they have a pretty good trouble shooting guide on line if you have a 12v test light or voltmeter handy.
Our steps had a loose wire at the magnetic door switch. My friends HR Endeavor DP turned out to be the control board. We took steps out and tested motor but that may be a little tough on the road.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Is the step switch in the on position? I know ours got bumped once and cause me some frustration and embarrassment when I discovered it was off.
RETE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

My entry step is opening and closing erratically while the vehicle is in motion, Anyone experiencing this?
JohnHetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHetzler View Post
My entry step is opening and closing erratically while the vehicle is in motion, Anyone experiencing this?
I have in a 2013 Meridian. The problem was with the four pole switch on the hinge side. A wire inside the door frame had come loose (which is easy to happen) and erratically making contact, causing the steps to come out whenever. The position of the step switch didn't seem to matter. Mobile tech took the assembly apart and fixed it.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 2012 Journey does this about once per year.
I remove the 3 screws/bolts holding the motor in place, cycle the motor by opening/closing the door and re-install the motor.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My Ellipse has the same setup. I experienced problems and traced it to the contacts on the door jamb that make contact with the door when closed. They get oxidized or corroded thru time. Clean them with a pencil eraser and when you have time get some contact cleaner at an auto parts store. Keep the contacts clean and I bet the problem is solved.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the responses. It turns out we had to replace the motor on the entry steps. $602 later and we were good as new.
HeelDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Those stairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHetzler View Post
Oftentimes, we have found, the door is not closed properly and that causes the stairs to operate improperly.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps