Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Tour 42QD roof penetration

I am getting ready to install a WiFiRanger on my roof and I am trying to figure how to penetrate the roof. Does anyone know if there is a conduit running from where the satellite coaxes enter the roof to the cabinet above the door? Or does anyone have any ideas?
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would come in from the roof thru the refrigerator vent. I would try to mount the antenna on the fridge vent. Unless your fridge is in a slide.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I would come in from the roof thru the refrigerator vent. I would try to mount the antenna on the fridge vent. Unless your fridge is in a slide.
Likely the QD has a residential fridge.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It is all electric residential fridge.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I am getting ready to install a WiFiRanger on my roof and I am trying to figure how to penetrate the roof. Does anyone know if there is a conduit running from where the satellite coaxes enter the roof to the cabinet above the door? Or does anyone have any ideas?
Mounted mine on the rear ladder. Ran the cable down the ladder, left across and just inside the engine hatch cover, across the top of the left rear hatch (air filter and DEF tank compartment), and from there to the rear flexible cable tray that feeds the full wall slide. I managed to thread it thru that cable tray, and it comes thru behind the clothes hamper in the bedroom. I installed an on-off switch in the cabinet next to the bedroom radio. It sounds like and was a PITA.

In 20-20 hindsight, it might have been possible to use the same routing the power cables from my aftermarket roof top solar comes thru, basically just above the control panel outside the mid-bath!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

on mine Winnebago have the roof marked were they have all the cables and that is were it should be mounted for trouble free operation.The prior owner had a Winegard Traveller mounted mid coach and they used the vent holes for the cables was a total screw up from the word go. I installed a Winegard dome were Winnebago had the roof marked and all the factory wiring was there, still had to straighten up the prior Camping World mid coach screw up with all the wiring to bring it back to Winnebago spec
Old 12-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ron
Still need ideas? I can take a picture of my cable routing to at least show roof penetration site...
Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes Lv2Roam2 that would be a great help. Any info on routing to the AV cabinet would help. You can email pix to [email protected]
Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why would you go through all this expense and install when you can simple buy a wireless system. We use T-mobile as our carrier, I received this for FREE which I switched to them. But even if you have to buy the unit, it's cheap, has great service. I believe other providers have their wireless solutions too, but T-Mobile today blows the competition away and no contracts. Bets deal in town IMO.
https://support.t-mobile.com/communi...catel-linkzone

Service cost $20/mo.
Connects by WiFi
4G LTE mobile hotspot
Create local network
Connect up to 15 devices
WPS and WPA2-PSK

I have on-the-go internet access, can stream Netflix, Hulu & Amazon and is FREE. (Doesn't go against your data plan)
This device is about as big as a cigarette pack, portable, take it anywhere, upgradable as technology changes.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

What do you do when you do not have T-Mobile coverage but have weak in park WiFi? A WiFiRanger can bring in weak signals and make them usable.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why would you go through all this expense and install when you can simple buy a wireless system. We use T-mobile as our carrier, I received this for FREE which I switched to them. But even if you have to buy the unit, it's cheap, has great service. I believe other providers have their wireless solutions too, but T-Mobile today blows the competition away and no contracts. Bets deal in town IMO.
https://support.t-mobile.com/communi...catel-linkzone

Service cost $20/mo.
Connects by WiFi
4G LTE mobile hotspot
Create local network
Connect up to 15 devices
WPS and WPA2-PSK

I have on-the-go internet access, can stream Netflix, Hulu & Amazon and is FREE. (Doesn't go against your data plan)
This device is about as big as a cigarette pack, portable, take it anywhere, upgradable as technology changes.
two stand alone systems used for different reasons
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Marjoa
Quote:
Service cost $20/mo.
Connects by WiFi
4G LTE mobile hotspot
Create local network
Connect up to 15 devices
WPS and WPA2-PSK

what is the total cost of this whole deal including the phone plan required
I usually need around 40-50 gb per month
plus phone calls

Never mind I looked it up its as bad or worse than Verizon BIG$$$
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a Sprint Plan that I got from Unlimitedville.com. Its $45.00 per month unlimited data. The only catch is you need to be a business and its a 2 year contract. I have had it for over a year and have only been to a couple of campgrounds where it doesn't work. I have had speeds of 2-3 megs on the low side and if you are in a Sprint Spark area I have seen speeds as high as 50 meg.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
two stand alone systems used for different reasons
And those 2 different reasons would be ?????

Q: What do you do when you do not have T-Mobile coverage but have weak in park WiFi?
A: You have a cell phone don't you? If yes, you also have a carrier and as I said all carriers have a WIFI solution and it's so easy and cheap.

Q: Never mind I looked it up its as bad or worse than Verizon BIG$$$
A: I don't know what you looked up but Verizon doesn't even come close to $20/mo. for what we get.

Oh and another real cool thing we use it for too is, when we put Gracie back into storage, I just pick up the WIFI device and bring it home. Just the other day Comcast was working on the lines and everyone in the neighborhood had no WIFI...but we did. I just fired it up, connected to my network and I was online again. Great solution for a personal/business as a back up. Can't do that when it's mounted on the roof of your RV.

Well anyway you all do what you need to do. I have t-Mobile for my phone provider. No contract. I get additional WIFI with this device for $20 more a month for the data. My wife & I have our computers hooked up to it while underway, I run my business from it while traveling/camping, we have a local network for our printers and TV's. So if that doesn't fill your needs for $20/mo. and you need another solution....I understand.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I suggest a wireless mifi for sure

I've had Verizon iPhones for years, added the Mifi and carry it with my computer in the same case. My wife and I both use it on computer at the same time, we download music, stream music, and print wirelessly in our rig and at home. We also don't have land lines for telephone at home, and we use DISH for TV at home...so we take our dish receiver with us in the Winnie and call Dish to change our service address as we travel so we get the local channels and keep up with the regular ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX nets. This wireless stuff is great... even got bluetooth speakers!
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof