Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
:
PS: Did you lift your units to see if there is weather stripping between the intake and output vents on the units? This was suggested by another poster.
Rick,

I read Jesse's post about the seal between the supply and return ducts, but I have not taken that step yet. My units (two A/C's) seem to cool as designed with about a 25 degree delta between return and supply air. BUT.... you are spot on when you state that you best be ahead of the curve in terms of anticipating the heat load and not waiting too long to go into full cooling mode. The summer sun penetrates the shell, and the darker colors certainly don't help the cause. I wish I had about 8,000 more btu's of cooling.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Rick,

I read Jesse's post about the seal between the supply and return ducts, but I have not taken that step yet. My units (two A/C's) seem to cool as designed with about a 25 degree delta between return and supply air. BUT.... you are spot on when you state that you best be ahead of the curve in terms of anticipating the heat load and not waiting too long to go into full cooling mode. The summer sun penetrates the shell, and the darker colors certainly don't help the cause. I wish I had about 8,000 more btu's of cooling.

cheers,
Joopy
This rig is dark. So far we have had no trouble keeping cool. The last rig I had was basement air. Never did like it. Noisy in the bedroom at night and couldn't keep us cool in real heat. Are your travels keeping you put for a while? You could attach a white tarp off the roof of the sun side of your coach like a lean-too and really look like trailer trash. Are all of your lights LED?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
This rig is dark. So far we have had no trouble keeping cool. The last rig I had was basement air. Never did like it. Noisy in the bedroom at night and couldn't keep us cool in real heat. Are your travels keeping you put for a while? You could attach a white tarp off the roof of the sun side of your coach like a lean-too and really look like trailer trash. Are all of your lights LED?
Rick,
We had basement air in our previous Journey as well and the bedroom noise was bad but it did keep the coach cool. We're not full-time and use our coach about twice a month for trips. I actually just finished swapping out most all the lights with LED's. Our coach is a 2013 which has the halogen fixtures. The 2014 model has LED fixtures. I tried a few different LED replacement bulbs in my fixtures but wasn't pleased with the color. Most had a slight greenish tint even though they were warm white (2700K to 3000K) and they totally changed the appearance of the cabinetry and wall coverings. Jesse helped me identify the manufacturer of the 2014 ceiling fixtures in LED, both 3" and 4.5" fixtures. Although the cost was more, and changing out the entire fixture was more involved than swapping bulbs, the new lights cast a very nice color.

The halogens read about 240 degrees on the bare bulb. I just measured the bare LED's and they measure just under 120 degrees. Multiply that reduction of heat by many fixtures and it sure does make a difference. I'm still looking for a good LED replacement for the vanity globe lights.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
X2 we have a 2013 40u same problem. When in the front run the rear,
And visaversa. Wonder if Winnebago will have a recall?"
Dream on John!

I don't know if this applies to newer models but I found something out that is interesting. This morning I pulled the covers off the AC units to inspect them. I removed the flat access cover behind the compressor location. My model is the 49000 series. What I found was that all of the wires to the control board were against the condenser and in the air exchange chamber. I instantly thought of NOISE. I rerouted the wires to behind the control board connectors and away from the air chamber. The cover holds them in place. I did this procedure to all three units. (A side note: I had Styrofoam particles in the chamber, and on the coil, that I removed with a paint brush and vacuum. Leftovers from the tape failure last year.) I don't know if it is required but I used aluminum tape on the case seams.

The results is noticeable. The noise is still annoying but not as much so. The whooshing sound is not as bad as before, in my opinion. I tried to reduce the compressor sound to no great avail. Another try for another day. Still, watching TV or having meaningful conversation is still a challenge.

Happy trails.

Rick
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Rick,
I'm still looking for a good LED replacement for the vanity globe lights.

cheers,
Joopy
I just reread your post. Try this site: 1156-GLOBE-NW Vanity Globe replaces 20-99 Natural White Color - M4 Products

This is where I got my replacement lamps for the puck lights. The 4500K is just right. These are 600 lumen, as I have mentioned, and read 113* on the lamp and 87* on the lens. Hughes heat difference from the 500+/- 2800K 20W halogen bulbs. That's about 680 BTU/hr for 10 lamps. Heat we don't need when it is 100*+ in the shade.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Colman roof air report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick FLA View Post
Ok guy's here is my latest news on the Mach 8 roof top AC from Colman.
Had a long chat with the engineer in Wichita Kansas at the factory (good guy by the way).
With 3 motors running at once fan,compressor and cooling fan for the
compressor some times you get 3 differnt RPM's and it set up a vibration with the
unit. I describe it as a cheep hotel wall unit type vibration you know the kind that wakes
you up at night. It appears that a new Fan blade is avalable for the compressor Cooling that is
3 blade and not 5 that helps this issue. I was told that at this years rally in forest city that a truck load of them
would be available for an up grade campaign. Not being able to make the trip to Forest City this year I wined enough
that I got a good will fix from Winnebago through my dealer (which I very much appreciate ).
This should be done the 1st week of june and I will let you know how it goes.

Good Luck to us all on this one
Rick From FLA 36M 2013

Ok
I had the new Blades and bracket installed as recomended by Colman and Winnebago. Happy to report that the out side noise is much less now . In the park next to other units you can no longer hear my coach blasting away like before , a good thing! The new blades are 3 blade scimitar design and sound like
a microwave exhaust fan at most on the outside. No change on in side noise but the Tech did go through and reattach some things that were loose in the AC pan
That should not have been. At the end of the day I believe I am as happy with this as you can be and think Winnebago ,Colman and Lazydays for standing behind the problem.Now if I can just get the problems fixed on my Jeep Grand Cherrokkee and the computer in the dash I'll be ready for my big Summer trip
to the North East. DW retires in 6 weeks don't know who is more excited her or me.
Rick From FLA
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I just reread your post. Try this site: 1156-GLOBE-NW Vanity Globe replaces 20-99 Natural White Color - M4 Products

This is where I got my replacement lamps for the puck lights. The 4500K is just right. These are 600 lumen, as I have mentioned, and read 113* on the lamp and 87* on the lens. Hughes heat difference from the 500+/- 2800K 20W halogen bulbs. That's about 680 BTU/hr for 10 lamps. Heat we don't need when it is 100*+ in the shade.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the follow up info. Actually, I tried the 1156-GLOBE-NW's for our vanity and found them to be too "cold" (white) and too many lumens especially for the bedroom vanity. So, I returned them for the 1156-GLOBE-WW's (warm White) and they worked just fine. More lumens than the stock halogen but acceptable. M-4 has been good to work with on the returns. I like the 4500K lights for some applications but it didn't work for us in the vanity areas. Thanks again for sharing!

cheers,
Joopy
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick FLA View Post
Ok
I had the new Blades and bracket installed as recomended by Colman and Winnebago. Happy to report that the out side noise is much less now . In the park next to other units you can no longer hear my coach blasting away like before , a good thing! The new blades are 3 blade scimitar design and sound like
a microwave exhaust fan at most on the outside. No change on in side noise but the Tech did go through and reattach some things that were loose in the AC pan
That should not have been. At the end of the day I believe I am as happy with this as you can be and think Winnebago ,Colman and Lazydays for standing behind the problem.Now if I can just get the problems fixed on my Jeep Grand Cherrokkee and the computer in the dash I'll be ready for my big Summer trip
to the North East. DW retires in 6 weeks don't know who is more excited her or me.
Rick From FLA
That's good news all around. If you are heading to New England bring lots of bug spray. The country is beautiful but travel is slow (like St Augustine maybe?) in some areas.

Back to the A/C. If you are up to the challenge, pull one cover off and the cover to the control board. I did this on all three of my units and found all of the wires were jumbled in the air return passage. I relocated them out of the way and the noise in the coach is not AS bad as before.

Happy retirement to your DW.

Rick Y
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the club. See sig. Not sure when Winnebago will step up??!!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Oh my gosh.... can't believe how noisy the new Winnie are!!!

We camped for a week across from a new(er) Journey with 3 roof top ac's. Could hear the dang thing cycle all night long and during the day when the 3rd unit kicked in, it sounded like the big Cummins was running. The guy behind me in another row over mentioned the noise as well.

It sure looks like Winnebago traded off height, as in low profile, and got a lot more noise. It'll be interesting what folks are saying at the GNR.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Oh my gosh.... can't believe how noisy the new Winnie are!!!

We camped for a week across from a new(er) Journey with 3 roof top ac's. Could hear the dang thing cycle all night long and during the day when the 3rd unit kicked in, it sounded like the big Cummins was running. The guy behind me in another row over mentioned the noise as well.

It sure looks like Winnebago traded off height, as in low profile, and got a lot more noise. It'll be interesting what folks are saying at the GNR.
Bill, did you see post #26? You might recommend this to your noisy neighbor to consider.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

We have a appointment in Forest City the middle of Sept!
Haven't had any fellow RV'RS complain personally, but when we
Walk around the grounds, ours is the only one we can hear. Have discussed
this with the dealer, with no action. We called called Coleman and the newer
Fan assembly would lower 6 Decibels. For what that is worth. From what I under stand is that the reason Winnebago went from the belly air was the EPA.
reg. for the DEF. IMO IS A RIP OFF! We will see. We are headed for Idaho
and Montanna for the rest of the summer. Hopefully we won't have to use them.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Just replaced all 3 fans on the roof air conditioner units with the new 3 blade fans. While they are definitely quieter than the stock fans, they do have more of a growl sound to them which you can also hear a bit on the inside. Not sure which is better, the louder whoosh sound or the quieter but more annoying growl sound.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWarner View Post
Just replaced all 3 fans on the roof air conditioner units with the new 3 blade fans. While they are definitely quieter than the stock fans, they do have more of a growl sound to them which you can also hear a bit on the inside. Not sure which is better, the louder whoosh sound or the quieter but more annoying growl sound.
Good question. Bother the neighbors or the DW?

Is the air movement sound from the vents very annoying? If so, consider looking into the return air chamber of each a/c unit. You will probably find a bunch of wires in that area. I did. I moved them out of the airflow path and one of the irritating sounds went away. My units are still very annoying when trying to have a conversation or listen to the entertainment center, but that extra ugly sound seems to be gone.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I had all three units off to check seals etc. found a broken condensate pump on front unit and a plastic 90* elbow joining the condensate hoses that had not been drilled out on the mid unit. Moved the wires etc. out of the way as well. We find the rear two units to be fairly quiet inside but the front one has a bit of a growl to it that I can't seem to fix. We normally just have to run one unit at a time so we primarily use the rear one when we are in the coach and the front one when we are away. Like all things with RV'ing, compromise is a must.
Brent
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvWarner View Post
I had all three units off to check seals etc. found a broken condensate pump on front unit and a plastic 90* elbow joining the condensate hoses that had not been drilled out on the mid unit. Moved the wires etc. out of the way as well. We find the rear two units to be fairly quiet inside but the front one has a bit of a growl to it that I can't seem to fix. We normally just have to run one unit at a time so we primarily use the rear one when we are in the coach and the front one when we are away. Like all things with RV'ing, compromise is a must.
Brent
Sounds like QC troubles on the assembly line again. Too bad such a nice looking coach with so many great features can't be assembled with pride any more. I'm glad you are making progress. I want to see how your units are separated into 3 zones but I can't get the wiring diagram for years beyond '11. I can't get the 3D viewer to work in my computer either.

I hope you are able to succeed on fixing the front unit. You are achieved man to have accomplished this much. Looking forward to your final fix update.

Tags
journey, roof