Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Journey 42E

Picked up our new 2014 Journey...

Picked it up in Seffner, FL. There were a few items to fix before we left and a bit of body work to do when we return next month. Other than that it is perfect. We had a 2004 40QDH Phaeton and this Journey is gigantic in comparison. We have moved all our stuff from one to the other and there are still lots of empty compartments up top and like 1/3 of the basement still empty.

We drove it home last week from Florida to NH over a wide variety of roads. The ride home was great, no issues popped up. I did have a few questions.

First, when leaving the dealer I hit the manual tag dump as it was quite tight and the salesman said it would help turning a bit sharper. Well all worked fine maneuvering out of the lot. During the drive in local traffic each time I stopped the alarm dinged and said TAG DUMPED. I assume as soon as I accelerated the tag refilled or did it remain dumped?

Second, the propane feed on the passenger side, is it high or low pressure?

Third, it was chilly and the propane furnaces worked on zone #1 and #2 and the heat pumps also, but no heat on zone #3. It has a setting for heat electric (not gas) but only the fan worked, no compressor. Is zone #3 supposed to have a heat pump?

Fourth, Anyone know the size of each grey tank ? I know 109 total.

Fifth, with the 20 ft awning has anyone added a support when rolled up or had an issue with it flexing? Phaeton had 20 ft, but had a support under it when rolled up.

Sixth, I have started the MH a few times this week in storage and noticed when running the voltmeter with move back and forth from 11-14 volts for a few minutes and the lights dim the brighten. I seems to even out after a few minutes. The engine uses the glow plugs for 5 sec then turns over well, so not a battery issue. Maybe the isolator opening and closing?

As a side note, every overhead bulb is led except the shower. What's up with that? First upgrade.

Any comments appreciated
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Updated signature test.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

XBoater,
Time to change your signature line??
Glad you made it home safe and sound.

To answer your questions:
First, when leaving the dealer I hit the manual tag dump as it was quite tight and the salesman said it would help turning a bit sharper. Well all worked fine maneuvering out of the lot. During the drive in local traffic each time I stopped the alarm dinged and said TAG DUMPED. I assume as soon as I accelerated the tag refilled or did it remain dumped?
XXX The tag will refill when going forward faster than 5 mph. It should not ding each time you stop. It should only ding if you are backing up or press the manual button.

Second, the propane feed on the passenger side, is it high or low pressure?
XXXX It is low pressure which is a real pain. You have to remove the regulator from any portable unit you may be using.

Third, it was chilly and the propane furnaces worked on zone #1 and #2 and the heat pumps also, but no heat on zone #3. It has a setting for heat electric (not gas) but only the fan worked, no compressor. Is zone #3 supposed to have a heat pump?
XXXX Zone one and two are heat pumps. Zone three is only an a/c. Zone three should not have a setting for electric or gas. If you are on GAS it will operate the the rear propane heater or the kitchen propane heater. (Yes, you can have one zone on heat pump and one on gas.)

Fourth, Anyone know the size of each grey tank ? I know 109 total.
XXXX Gray1 is the galley and it is 71 gallons. Gray2 is actually the foremost tank but holds the gray water from the rear. It is not marked but I believe it is 38 gallons. See the plumbing diagrams: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...p42e_plumb.pdf

Fifth, with the 20 ft awning has anyone added a support when rolled up or had an issue with it flexing? Phaeton had 20 ft, but had a support under it when rolled up.
XXXX Not a problem as they awning rolls up into the metal cover that hold the whole length. It does not drop or sag.

Sixth, I have started the MH a few times this week in storage and noticed when running the voltmeter with move back and forth from 11-14 volts for a few minutes and the lights dim the brighten. I seems to even out after a few minutes. The engine uses the glow plugs for 5 sec then turns over well, so not a battery issue. Maybe the isolator opening and closing?
XXXX The preheater will take a lot of amps for several seconds and yes the lights will sometimes dim then brighten. After the chassis batteries are up to level, the alternator will provide sufficient amps to keep the lights bright.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post

What position do you have the tag dump switch in? If you have it on dump or auto it will dump each time you are below 5 mph. It is supposed to always dump no matter what position the switch is in when you reverse.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I dumped the tag and the switch returned to "Auto" and dumped at each stop until I parked. The next time out the tag only dumped or at least gave me the warning when I backed into a parking spot.

I assume the grey tanks do not equalize. Why would you need a 70 gallon tank for the shower drain? Washing dishes uses far more water.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Rich,
The rear tank is for the rear sink, the shower, and the washing machine.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for diagram. The diagram shows the foremost tank has a capacity of 58 gallons and the rear grey water flows into it, Grey2? This would leave the center tank at 51 gallons that the two mid sinks drain into, Grey1?

The aftmost tank is the black at 71 gallons that both toilets flow into.

I ordered a valve to but on the end drain. I can close it and open the 2 grey valves to equalize the tanks when needed and appreciate the entire capacity. We dry camp for 4-5 days several times a year and know 58 gallons not enough for showers.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I ordered 2 automatic (plunger switch) LED lights for the bedroom closets. Any idea where I could steal some 12v to power?

Amazon.com : LED closet light : Boat Engine Spare Parts Kits : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

XBoater, the valve at the end of the drain is a great idea! Where did you find one?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Amazon

Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve: Automotive

It is a bayonet fitting, so it will go on drain end then slinky hose will go on valve so I can release the grey trapped between the grey valve and the end. It looks tight in the wetbay so it may need another fitting. I ordered a 45 degree just in case. I will let you know how it works when I get home. I am out on first trip for a few days at the beach. Great drive today, great foliage in NH.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a Webber Q grill which does not look compatible with the low pressure gas. The regulator is attached to the control valve and I can not seem to get it off. I have had it a few years now. What grills are people using with the low pressure fitting ?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Tag Dump

So I figured out the dump switch.

When it is set to AUTO the tag will dump in reverse.

If you toggle the TAG DUMP, the tag will dump every time I get below 10 mph and the dash alarm will beep and display TAG DUMPED. I accelerate over 10 mph and the tag will re-inflate. If you toggle TAG DUMP again this will set the tag back to AUTO. Moving the switch to OFF will not stop the tag from dumping.

Set the tag switch to OFF and the tag will not dump.

Tags
journey