Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 Journey 40U basement door challenge

The basement door to my propane tank was stuck shut. I was able to crawl under and remove the inside covering and thus remove the handle. I then put vice grips on the Door Latch Cable and finally got the door open.

I stretched the door latch cable and need to get a replacement. However, when trying to get the latch itself off I removed two screws on the edge (oops!!) and the metal backing dropped to the bottom.

Any ideas on how to get the backing off the door off so I can get things back together. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric
DebbieFina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 36M Journey and I would think the doors are made the same. The backs of the doors are glued on, so wouldn't come apart. If the part you dropped is steel, you might go to a auto parts store and get a long magnet retrieval tool. They make them about two feet long and you may be able to get the parts out with it.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. No room to insert the tool though. I think I will be able to remove the door and then tilt it to let the part slide back. Winnebago gave me some info that may allow me to peel the back covering and then reglue it.

Happy travels.

Eric
DebbieFina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Was replacing an electric lock actuator on a cargo door. One of the parts sipped into the interior of the door. Removed the door and tried tipping and rotating it to get the part to slide into a position we could retrieve it from. Frustrating.

Finally took a large magnet that I salvaged from an old microwave (what? inquiring minds want to know) , wrapped it in a piece of cloth to prevent scratching the paint. Slid it around on the door until I heard the sound of the capture of the wayward part, then dragged the part to a location I could grab it with needle nose.

No pop rivets drilled out, no glue bonds broken.

Good Luck!

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, journey