Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014+ Journey 36M diesel performance?

Hi all, anyone with 36M Journeys care to comment on how well that 380/800 Cummings performs? Just curious since it's the smallest of available.
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Actually, the 36M uses the Cummins 360hp ISB engine. We had a 2013 and in my opinion the 360 ISB was adequate in terms of acceleration and torque for towing on hills.

Keep in mind that I'm not a power freak. Meaning that I'm satisfied with enough power to accelerate mildly and to climb the long, steeper grades say (6% or greater) without slowing down much below 40mph or so.

To some extent, engine performance is personal preference. Some folks place much more emphasis on having excessive power. I never felt that our 36M coach was underpowered with the 360 ISB. Curious how other 36M owners feel about the power level.

Oh, and the ISB was fuel friendly averaging nearly 10mpg with a typical cruise speed between 62 and 65mph.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Actually, the 36M uses the Cummins 360hp ISB engine. We had a 2013 and in my opinion the 360 ISB was adequate in terms of acceleration and torque for towing on hills.

Keep in mind that I'm not a power freak. Meaning that I'm satisfied with enough power to accelerate mildly and to climb the long, steeper grades say (6% or greater) without slowing down much below 40mph or so.

To some extent, engine performance is personal preference. Some folks place much more emphasis on having excessive power. I never felt that our 36M coach was underpowered with the 360 ISB. Curious how other 36M owners feel about the power level.

Oh, and the ISB was fuel friendly averaging nearly 10mpg with a typical cruise speed between 62 and 65mph.

cheers,
Joopy

My feelings exactly and we have had our 2012 - 5 years this November - over the 10,000 mile we have averaged 9.1 pulling the Jeep this includes many mountains out west - I have passed many trucks going up hill - the power is just fine - of course we had a V10 Ford gasser before this one
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!

Jupiter ... you said "had" a 2013, what do you have now?
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have had our 36M for a little over a year now and I am pleased with the performance of the Cummins. We went to the Colorado mountains, Grand Canyon and back home without a hitch. I get 8.1 mpg, I don't care if I am in the flat lands of West Texas or the mountains of Colorado, and the power is there to climb or not. I, like a previous comment made, am not infatuated with fast, my cruise is set at 65 on the open road and at the end of along hill climb I am doing 40 I'm ok with that........I'm not going backwards!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Thanks!

Jupiter ... you said "had" a 2013, what do you have now?
We traded for a 2016 Journey 38P. There was a lot we liked about our 36M but that didn't stop us from our impulsive ways

The 38P houses a Cummins 380 ISC which has around 1,150Ft Lb torque. The length is 3" shy of 40 feet and the curb weight is also a couple tons greater. So, it's also not overpowered but certainly adequate for me.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
My feelings exactly and we have had our 2012 - 5 years this November - over the 10,000 mile we have averaged 9.1 pulling the Jeep this includes many mountains out west - I have passed many trucks going up hill - the power is just fine - of course we had a V10 Ford gasser before this one
I will second this statement. Had ours since 2012, been to West Virginia, and to Vegas from South Alabama and have not met a hill yet that we felt we were holding traffic up behind us or unsafe going downhill.
Winnie Journey with 360HP Cummins is plenty on 36M
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, journey