Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

wheelbase to length issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
One caution. The ratio of the wheelbase to length is, in simple terms - AWFUL. It is less than .5 and that is not good for handling, heavy winds etc.

It is a size that I like as well (having a the 26QP Class C Impulse) but I would never buy it because of the wheelbase being so short. .55 is the minimum I'll accept.

Don
Hi Don-

I saw your comment on the class A Itasca Sunstar 26p regarding handling. We just purchased a 2012 unit and took it for a 4000mi test drive. It performed well after fixing the AC but handling sway in cross winds - including big trucks - is very noticeable.

I hope to improve the stability issue by adding a rear Roadmaster anti-sway bar. Also possibly a steering damper will be necessary. Your thoughts please Don and anyone else who has experience.

Thanks,
Carter
ckaanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Carter, you will likely get a range of views on this issue. If it were mine I'd start with a Safe-T-Plus or Steer Safe. If that didn't improve the situation then I'd consider some of the other improvements that owners on the forums have used to improve handling and reduce tail wag.

I find this frustrating because I think the size of MH you bought is ideal for a couple that does not want a 60+ foot train (we had a 41 foot DP and towed a Tahoe). I wish the guys who design MHs would think more about the end users and issues like this.

Don
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I also looked at the 2012 26P and loved it. Congrats to your parents and I wish them many happy miles in their new RV!
Hi we just purchased a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26p. After a 4000 mi trial run we still love it. However, we did have AC problems (resolved) and I am looking to improve the wind/steering stability. Evidently aftermarket chassis components from Roadmaster etc are available. Does anyone have advise on where to get tech advise and where to purchase chassis components.
ckaanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
Site Team

I recommend the thread "how does your F53 handle"
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

2009 Vista 26P

I have a 2009 Vista 26P and I can guarrantee you that anything you might begin to call a wind will make me pull over and wait it out. I have 28,000 miles on it and I have much wind experience living in the desert southwest. It is for sure a tricky unit
that must be "handled" at all times. Even a quick jerk on the wheel to miss something in the roadway will cause you a worry. But, I fit into all the national forest campgrounds that the bigger boys must by pass. That is the beauty of it. It has its
drawbacks though. The early model came with jacks that were to light for the unit.
I replaced my pump and motor last year after being standed in the back country of
Idaho for 2 days with a burned out unit jacks down. Finally got them to go half way
up and limped back home to Mesquite, Nv. Major trouble with the living room slide
adjustment and am fighting with Winnebago now over broken slide ramps and torn up
linoleum. Also, double--triple dump your tanks each time--there are 3 90 degree
bends between holding tanks and hose hook up--impossible to back flush, This is a
biggy and very poor design. Other than that the size is perfect for us and Workhorse
GM combo is most impressive. I've gone down mtn roads that were 15 miles of switchback after switchback in 1st gear and never touched the brakes. The steering
is very trusty. But the wind!!!!! But the slideout!!!!! But the dump situation!!!
Peace and wellness,
Jamba
2009 26P
Mesquite, Nv.
Jamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Site Team

Jamba, my 2013 model is on a Ford F53 chassis....when did they switch from GM Workhorse, and I wonder if that explains the difference in our experience in windy conditions.
Al (Macnut)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

you could get them in either GM or Ford at differnet times
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

My 2010 26P Itasca was built in Sept 2010 on the F53. I'm thankful I don't have the extreme handling problems that Jamba describes. It handles okay by me until the wind gets above 25 mph, then I too am off the road. The living area slide is mfg'd by Power Gear. It required factory adjustment after multiple failures to retract, but has worked well since then. The jacks are also mfg'd by Power Gear. So far, so good with them.

Jamba, which slide and jack products does your 2009 have?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I just traded in a 2012 Vista, loaded. I hated the handling, and spent a lot on improving it. It was much better when I traded it, but still not good enough. Regarding MPG, I once got 6.5 MPG, but all other times it was bang on 6 mpg. Now, I drive 70 whenever possible, so that is not condusive to great gas mileage. I recommend the 5 star tune, which will fix the rotten downshifting that the F53 does. I also added 5 lbs of air to all four back tires, which shifts a little weight to the front ties, leading to a little better steering control.
The 26P has a very good layout, plenty of room. I traded because of poor handling (scary sometimes), although I was improving the problem on every trip. Traded for 2013 Doiesel pusher (which I don't have yhet).
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
I also added 5 lbs of air to all four back tires, which shifts a little weight to the front ties, leading to a little better steering control.
I am curious how adding air to the tires will shift weight? It will affect the ride and handling, but there will be no weight distribution change.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

The other thing everyone forget to consider here regarding axle location is the fact that you have 80gal fuel tank to mount behind the axle. The axle cannot physically be moved back any further than it is, unless you want to make do with 55 gal. of fuel or less. The overhang on the 26P/HE is as short as it possibly could be given the size of the fuel tank.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
Site Team

I have a 2013 and have yet to experience any issues with handling and windy conditions. Does it drive like my car? Very different than my car. Do I ever feel out of control? Not even close. I especially love the way I can get around in tight corners. I love the tow/haul feature for steep grades. And I really like being able to get into any National or State park. If things change as it ages, I'll consider making some changes.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
I am curious how adding air to the tires will shift weight? It will affect the ride and handling, but there will be no weight distribution change.
It will tilt the motorhome a little bit to the front, which will put more more control on the front wheels (ie, less "icy").
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Original poster here.

My parents were initially interested in the 2013 26HE for $69,999. They even put down a small (refundable) deposit on an incoming unit. They subsequently found a 2012 26P that they liked even better. There were a couple things on the 26P that they preferred. And I guess they liked the rear slide as well. So they picked up their new 26P yesterday and called me last night from a WalMart parking lot. They are staying close to the dealer the first couple days because experience has shown that there are often some bugs to work out of a new coach. I’ll be curious to get their impressions on how it drives compared to their class C.
They ended up paying $80-something thousand for the 2012. I actually think the 26HE is a better bargain but they got what they liked better so good for them.
Draco_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #35
Site Team

Draco_M, I guess this thread has taken on a life of it's own. :-) Thanks for updating us on your parents purchase. I would love to hear more about their experience!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

I,am new to this forum. We just traded a 2011 Solera in for a 2013 Vista 26he. We found the solera to small and the service from freightliner was not good. They are more into fixing 18wheelers. I,am very happy with this MH and have had no handling problems.It is more stable then the Solera was.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #37
Site Team

Poppy bill, great to hear you are enjoying your 26HE. We love ours, too! So far (since we purchased in June) we have had no problems. We made two mods. 1) added an hdmi cable from the TV to the side cabinet so I can hook it up to my iPad or a blue ray player. 2) added the solar shade to the MCD shades. I called MCD and they sent the shade attached to a Duo connector, so I just added the night shade to the connector. Very easy and half the cost of new Dup shades. We love the layout, storage, and power. So far, we are averaging about 8 mpg...about average for the F53. Oh, we also installed a ScanGauge to the OBD connector so we could monitor our gas mileage in real time. Have fun!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a Vista 26HE for Christmas. Thus far no complaints. We're still reading books and making lists but correcting handling issues isn't one of them. We'll have the Vista set up to tow our Jeep next month and after that we hope to get the antiaircraft guns and drone launch pad finished. Seems to be a good RV at a good price though I'm convinced we'll still be the victim of whatever resident sage cares to opine about length, weight, MPG, Astro sign, tire pressure, and paint schemes, but I felt better after reading the above posts on short wheelbase dangers and then calling Winnebago and asking "Are you making death traps and selling them to ignorant RV buyers as some sort of euthanasia plan?" They said "no" and I believe em. Trust that gal with my life now. Serious stuff this RV purchasing; no margin for error anywhere.
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #39
Site Team

LostTrail....thanks for the laugh and let me know how the drone install goes. Happy RVing!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

2013 Winnebago Vista 26HE question

macnut,
I'm curious which manufacturer Winnebago used for the jacks and front slide on your 26HE? My 2010 26P has Powergear.

Tags
winnebago