Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

2013 Winnebago Tour-Itasca Ellipse 2nd Satellite Receiver Hook-up Problems

Ok all you tech wizards out there - we have a 2013 Ellipse GD (though I'm sure the QD has the same layout) with the 4x4 HDMI Matrix selector. The schematics show a "2nd Satellite receiver" as a possibility.

We have an in-motion kingdome antenna with dual outputs.

I've tried to put a 2nd receiver back in the MBr and up in the Video Rack both but FOR THE LIFE OF ME I can not get it hooked up to work. I have come off of the 2 satellite outputs with one cable into the back of each receiver and into tuner #1 on each receiver. I've told both receivers they are 18" round, multiswitch, single input.

I've come to the conclusion Winnie's schematics are for crap horrible and up in the video area is a rat's nest of wires including 2 that aren't connected - a black one with 3 orange bands at the end and a gray with 5 orange bands. I've tried to see if connecting them up to the "to bedroom prep panel" might do something ...NOPE!

Anybody got a cure other than buying an additional on-tripod dish? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you connecting the second satellite receiver output to the Auxillary input on the back of the 4x4 matrix? On ours you also need to go to each of the remote matrix switching boxes and hit the "Select" button for it to recognize the new input.

Once the matrix boxes recognize the input you have to go to each individual TV and use either the satellite remote or the TV remote and enter the menu from the "menu" button or the "TV Input" button and select which input you want. I our case the selections are TV, HDMI-1/DVI, HDMI-2, AV, or Component.

The whole process is a pain in the A**. It's even more confusing since each TV manufacturer uses a different format to recocnize and distribute different inputs. We have a TV at home that only recocnized the input ports that were connected at the time the TV was setup. All other input ports were shut off. You had to go through an extended setup process everytime a new component was added.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 40' 2010 Winnebago Tour and ran into a similar problem but solved it however, it took some work. I have (2) DVR's in my coach, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. Originally, I had non HD so it took (2) coaxial wire inputs. From my KVH satelite parabolic in motion antenna, I ran a wire to a multi switch then I snaked (2) coaxial cables through the A pillar to under the coach. I strung the coaxial cable along pipes, frame and anything I could use to wire tie the coax. I then ran the coax into the slide out compartment where the slide frame retracts into the body of the coach. There was a large plastic piece that looks like a HUGE motorcycle drive chain. Inside that device were electrical and other wires needed for the slide. I added the coaxial wire to the existing bundle then drilled a hole into a closet and strung my coaxial to where the receiver was located. Probably took me 2 to 3 hours but it's clean and no one can tell it's an add on. Later I added a Winegard High Definition antenna and changed some wire locations and inputs via A/B switches but that's another story.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

I put the 2nd receiver in the AV cabinet and hooked up the #3 HDMI cable to it. I had previously connected both of the coax cables to receiver one - ONE CABLE AT A TIME - to receiver #1. I know they both have signal out. I leave receiver #1 on the weather channel to make sure it continues to receive signal. its fine and stays on.

On receiver #2, The direct TV turn on tests is shown just fine on the TV - this indicates that the HDMI cable #3 is fine and that I DO GET the correct output to any TV on the #3 selection - the problem is that when the receiver self tests are down the screen goes blank because I can't get the KNOWN GOOD input from the satellite through the 2nd DVR receiver.

I'll try switching the cables next to see if the same thing happens to the other receiver.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a RF Mogul sat dish installed at the FMCA rally in Wyoming. Kingdome to trash pile.
It took the installer 35 minutes, start to finish, to have the HD working.
Stated Winnebago really was on the ball with pre-wiring on the 2012 Tour. Rats nest ??

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

I found out tonight from the king controls website that if you want to use a second receiver you have to have an in-line "tone block" filter on the coaxial cable that goes into the 2nd receiver. It costs about $35 bucks.

Having gone through all this is making me think REALLY, REALLY hard about getting a Winegard DirecTV HD Trav'ler antenna. I figure I might as well stop blowing on the fur and get to the hide of RV TV watching. We NEVER watch our TVs in motion anyway. The 55" Lounge TV is half covered when buttoned up and the Overhead TV in the coach front is interlock protected and can't be turned on while in motion. The only possible one to watch is the bedroom TV and my wife is a physician and has worked in the emergency room when too many car/truck/RV accident victims have been brought in. She sits in her nav seat with the seat belt on 99.6% of the time.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have the Winegard Trav'ler on our Adventurer. Our is the SK-3005 model. It went obsolete about 2 weeks after we got our new motorhome. It requires the 24HD 200 receiver and a B band filter to get all the satellite stations. It works great but has been replaced by the SK-SWM3 model

DIRECTV HD in the RV - Winegard TRAV'LER Automatic Mobile DIRECTV HD Satellite Antenna

I like the fact that it can be aimed either manually or automatically. The dish on our old motorhome had the same features. After it was a few years the GPS part got flakey so sometimes it took 20 minutes or more to find the satellites. Winegard no longer supported it so the only recourse was to replace it if we didn't like the way it operated. When the GPS did fail we could just aim it manually in a couple minutes. Without the manual aiming option we would have had to replace it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The RF Mogul was $1900.00 (cash) installed. Push one button.

Same people who developed Motosat. Several seller/installers follow MH rallys.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our overhead compartment has a non-interlocked ac outlet for BluRay, I just moved tv plug over.

Don't have in motion sat, but granddaughter loves her Disney movies when she travels with us.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
I found out tonight from the king controls website that if you want to use a second receiver you have to have an in-line "tone block" filter on the coaxial cable that goes into the 2nd receiver. It costs about $35 bucks.

Having gone through all this is making me think REALLY, REALLY hard about getting a Winegard DirecTV HD Trav'ler antenna. I figure I might as well stop blowing on the fur and get to the hide of RV TV watching. We NEVER watch our TVs in motion anyway. The 55" Lounge TV is half covered when buttoned up and the Overhead TV in the coach front is interlock protected and can't be turned on while in motion. The only possible one to watch is the bedroom TV and my wife is a physician and has worked in the emergency room when too many car/truck/RV accident victims have been brought in. She sits in her nav seat with the seat belt on 99.6% of the time.
I went through what you went through on my 2012 Ellipse......take my advice.....the kingdome is junk and is not worth the frustration. I bought the Winegard Traveler high def dish and now keep a direct tv receiver in both the main entry room for the big Tv and one in the bedroom for the smaller tv. You will need the filter you already mentioned for one of your receivers but it is cheap.

Ever since I dumped the Kingdome, my tv life has been really, really good. The Winegard HD Traveler works outstanding. No more hours upon end trying to find and locate satellites.

I had so many problems with the Kingdome that my dealer got his outside contractor to sell me the Traveler at the dealer's cost and the dealer split the install cost with me 50/50.

If you like to shoot high powered pistols, the old kingdome makes a great Target! Its not good for much else unless you love continual frustration.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

With my Kingdome on my 2010 Journey, I found out that the second lead off the dome will not command the dome to point at the different satellites. (in the installation instructions the primary lead is called 'master', and the secondary lead is secondary.
Long story short, I took my bedroom receiver to the front, hooked it to the dome lead there, tuned in all three DISH satellites there. Then moved the receiver back to the bedroom cabinet, hooked it up to the satellite feed there and it worked great. But pointing the dish was done with the front receiver or the manual button on the dish control panel.
Because my front receiver used dual leads to record two shows at once, I was always having recording issues with the dome, and upgraded to the Traveler last year. The dome worked ok, but having all three satellites on, all the time, is great!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #12

Well I got the part from King Controls and it didn't fix diddly. Still only one receiver works. So, I ordered the DirecTV Trav'ler tonight.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago installed the new Winegard Travelr SWM3 on our 42QD. I was pulling my hair out trying to get DirecTv to work this past weekend. Was receiving a strong signal from the satellite, but nothing to the receiver. Found out on these new SWM models you do not need the B band converter behind the receiver like I needed on the original travler. Took it off and it worked great. But now for some reason I do not receive either DirecTV or the BluRay on the other 2 TVs, only on the lounge TV.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote