Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2012 Meridian 42E HDMI Cable

Does anyone know where there HDMI cable from the Direct TV receiver terminates? I'm sure it's either the BlueRay or the 4X4 Matrix box but really don't want to dig too much. Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Mine goes to the 4x4 matrix -- that is really the purpose of that box. Thus, you can switch the signal to any TV.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I found it. Now it seems as though the first switch on the 4X4 box has gone belly up since replacing the HDMI cable did not solve the problem. So much fun!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

OK, if yours is wired the same as mine (questionable) the first position on the matrix box is for the front TV, the second is for the back TV, and the third is for the outside TV. The fourth is a spare. The led positions on each of these outputs represents an input. The first light is the Blu-ray, the second is my HD DVR, and the third is my HD receiver. I have debated using the fourth input as HDMI from my computer, then I could use any TV as my monitor. Still thinking.
The whole matrix setup is very clever, and worthwhile investing a little time to understand.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have TV again. I found out a few things in the process. The Matrix is mounted in a bracket goes over the top of the box. It seems as tho the proper method of removal is to slide the box out towards the front. However the box can be lifted out with a great deal of effort and a bit of body work on the bracket to restore it to it's original shape. I thought is was held in with Velcro. Wrong!
The new HDMI cable was easy to pull thru. However, after installing it, I would have a picture for about 15 minutes and then it was gone. That happened 3 or 4 times before I gave up. This morning-----great picture, just like it used to be.
I guess the gremlins and the poltergeist decided to give up.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
tjd
Winnebago Camper

We just took delivery of our 2014 Meridian 10 days ago. We had a dish installed by the dealer and when we went for our walk through nothing worked. I asked if the guy who installed the satellite bothered testing anything. So we left and gave them 2 more days get it right and went back for another walk through. This time the front TV worked on the satellite but the other 2 TV would not switch to the satellite and we could not get the front to switch to anything but the Satellite. So they called over 3 guys and they started pulling everything apart. The diagnosis was port 1 and 2 on the matrix box are defectives. So for the time being they moved the Satellite to port 3 and the home entertainment to port 4. Now I can switch between the Satellite and Home entertainment on all 3 TVs.

They ordered a new box and it is suppose to be in this week but we are on a trip now and will not be back until end of October. So we will get the new box installed at that time. Hopefully that will fix everything.

I like the idea of the 4x4 matrix box but all I read about are issues people have with it but that is all you are going to read. There is no reason for one to post if everything is working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I have TV again. I found out a few things in the process. The Matrix is mounted in a bracket goes over the top of the box. It seems as tho the proper method of removal is to slide the box out towards the front. However the box can be lifted out with a great deal of effort and a bit of body work on the bracket to restore it to it's original shape. I thought is was held in with Velcro. Wrong!
The new HDMI cable was easy to pull thru. However, after installing it, I would have a picture for about 15 minutes and then it was gone. That happened 3 or 4 times before I gave up. This morning-----great picture, just like it used to be.
I guess the gremlins and the poltergeist decided to give up.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've read several other threads where Winnebago owners are having problems with their HDMI systems and their Matrix boxes. It almost seems like who ever at Winnebago did the electronic engineering for the system was not up to speed because there seems to be some sort of system conflict between the dish's matrix boxes, HDMI cables, surround sound systems and the Blue Ray players, it's like the whole system won't completely link up properly.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have never had a problem with my 4x4 matrix, except that for a while I didn't fully understand the logic behind it, and I am a techie sort of guy. I think that within a few years, everybody will be using this system. However, until salesmen and techs responsible for explaining everything to owners are up to full speed, there will be problems.
Of course, if on top of all that, your matrix itself is buggy, then there can be real confusion.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
tjd
Winnebago Camper

The guy who was there to do the walk through on the RV had no clue how some of the systems worked. He was insisting the rear bedroom tv would not work on the satellite unless we added another receiver to the rear tv. I told him that is what the Matrix box was for. I should be able to play the satellite on all 3 tv at the same time if I like. He kept on saying it was not possible and this was their Winnebago expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
I have never had a problem with my 4x4 matrix, except that for a while I didn't fully understand the logic behind it, and I am a techie sort of guy. I think that within a few years, everybody will be using this system. However, until salesmen and techs responsible for explaining everything to owners are up to full speed, there will be problems.
Of course, if on top of all that, your matrix itself is buggy, then there can be real confusion.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We are having cutout issues with our 4x4 matrix system. The lounge TV is directly connected to the matrix via hdmi cable so no problem. But both the exterior tv and bedroom tv are connected via cat6 to a receiver then an hdmi cable to the tv. Both of these have intermittent cutout issues. Everything is fine then nothing for 10 seconds or so. Not sure why the exterior tv can't be on a dedicated hdmi cable since it seems to line up back to back with the lounge system. All of these issues have happened while using the blu-ray player. OTA broadcast seem to be fine since each tv has a dedicated cable run and does not go through the switcher.

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well, it's still working. Cuts out once in a while but I just shut the Matrix box off, wait a bit and turn it back on. Then I have a picture again. However if I have #2 switch on for the bedroom tv, there is no picture in the front. Next step is to switch the cables from #1 to #3 and see what happens.
Ain't these things fun??
Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well, it's still working. Cuts out once in a while but I just shut the Matrix box off, wait a bit and turn it back on. Then I have a picture again. However if I have #2 switch on for the bedroom tv, there is no picture in the front. Next step is to switch the cables from #1 to #3 and see what happens.
Ain't these things fun??
Cool technology just poor execution...the Matrix switch is from Monoprice....

4x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6 Cable w/ Remote - Extend Upto 131ft - Monoprice.com

known to have issues with the power supply. There are much better switches out there but they cost $$$
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Cool technology just poor execution...the Matrix switch is from Monoprice....

4x4 Matrix HDMI® Switch & Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6 Cable w/ Remote - Extend Upto 131ft - Monoprice.com

known to have issues with the power supply. There are much better switches out there but they cost $$$
The Amazon reviews are terrible on this thing. It seems as tho most of them die about the end of the 1 year warranty period.
It might be worth while to kick out the extra bucks and get one from someone else.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just thought I'd throw out this link. Pace International (HDMI Matrix 4x4 device mfgr) has a 5 part youtube video on the system. I found it and was helpful on the troubleshooting part. The dealer walk through person had no clue about working the system, so had to try and find out some info on my own. There isn't any info that comes with the manual or supplemental manuals with the coach, which I thought was pretty rotten.

On youtube, search for DishformyRV hdmi matrix system

Don't think I can post the link directly here, but if you can't find it, drop me a note and I may be able to send the link by PM

Leon

2014 Winnebago Journey 36M
Whidbey Island, WA
periopnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I would like to reopen this sleeping post.

I have this same Matrix splitter in my 2013 Journey 42e. All was working fine until our trip across county last week. Although I can't say this system ever worked flawlessly, But it would always come on after playing with the buttons. Now I can get the living room & outside tv to work if the bedroom tv is disconnected at the rear of the Matrix. I even tried to put the bedroom tv in a different port & I connected the front tv with a HDMI, But I can't leave the HDMI because it is not going thru the slideout, but rather coming from the tv through the cabinet door to the video door. With the CAT6 cables I do not get good reception. With the HDMI I get intermittent good reception. If it is not good I have to turn off the Matrix wait 30 sec & turn it back on. I think the Matrix has internally failed. Has anyone found a good replacement for this one?
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Dan,

I'd be interested in finding a better option for the HDMI box also. I'm pretty tired of having to trying to troubleshoot satellite picture issues. Sometimes unplugging the box helps, sometimes not. Each separate balin unit sometimes needs to be reset (i.e., unplug and wait for a minute or so) but each time you never know which 'fix' will work. Gets to be frustrating. The folks from Pace say to unplug the entire motorhome (with NO POWER to entire coach), wait for a minute or two, then plug RV back in. This measure is suppose to reset entire system. To me, it's a lot of trouble.....just get something that works in the first place and spare us the 'troubleshooting' of a poorly functioning product.

Leon
2014 Winnebago Journey 36M
Oak Harbor, WA
periopnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ain't these things fun??
You are going through some similar problems that I had with our new Winne 40R. I couldn't get the back or outside TV to connect to the sat. I was also having trouble with the Sony player. I verified cable continuity and connections to no avail.

I called Pace tech support who manufactures the matrix box. They told me matrix occasionally looses it mind after being shut down for travel. The solution was to power down the box, wait 10-15 seconds and power up again. You may have to do this a couple of times. It has worked for me twice.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I talked to Pace the other day after posting this. This is what I found out from Pace & my own troubleshooting of playing with this system for about 6 hours. I can't find another system that uses the CAT 6 cables to replace this system that will do 3 tv's. According to Pace I have a gen 1 system & they know there are problems with it so they made a gen 2 system that is not at all compatible to the gen 1 system other than uses the CAT 6 cables. Just a note: according to Winnebago I have a gen 2 system, but I think the Pace tech is correct & Winnebago did not install the gen 2.

There is a reset sequence to sink the system to all the balins which starts with powering down the coach. I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I can completely power down the balins by unplugging them & the Matrix by unplugging it along with the tv's & other components. No need to power down the coach.

I was able to connect my front tv with a HDMI cable to the Matrix, tv works fine & outside tv works fine. I still can not hook up the bedroom tv with out it loosing signal to all my tv's. The HDMI cable is coming thru the cabinet doors, so it can not travel this way. According to the Pace Tech the system should not be turned off when traveling, but agreed turning it off when traveling might help to keep the matrix cool & not cause issues when traveling down the road & vibrating any hot solders or other components inside the box. The tech did say that the cheapest possible fix is a new power supply $10. He said they have had issues with the power supply not supplying the full voltage required. So I ordered a new power supply & will see. He did tell me they have not had the same issues with the Gen 2 system, however those of you having the same problems with the newer coaches makes me think you should have the Gen 2 system & proves the tech wrong. If the power supply does not help I do not know what I am going to do. Pace wants $442.50 + Shipping for a gen 2 system.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

After reading this threads ongoing HDMI Matrix systems issues, I'm glad our 2012 has the older system. In the spring I'll be upgrading our dish to a Travll'er and using a Dish Network Hopper 2 and a wireless Joey to provide signal to the outside TV, and using the factory distribution box to send signal to the bedroom TV. Even after 2 years the Matrix system still seems to be problematic.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote