Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 Journey Chassis batteries

We just recently purchased a 2012 Journey 34Y and we love it. The problem I am having is my chassis batteries are draining at home with the shore line plugged in. According to what I can read the shore line should be charging the chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. The house batteries are about 13.5v and the chassis batteries are at 12.8.
Thanks Alan
Alann5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

12.8 ain't bad, but it is my feeling that some mh charge their chassis batteries and some, like mine, do not because a) it was never set up to do so or 2) something is broke. As long as they don't drain too much (define this yourself) who cares! My owners manual never mentions charging the chassis from shore, so I'm in category a) above I believe. Do you use your disconnect switch when stored?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you read in the MH literature that the chassis battery should charge, then it should.

Here is a test.

1, Un-plug the MH and start the engine. Let it run 10 minutes.

2, Still running, test the battery voltage at the start battery and the house battery.

If they are the same ( 13 + volts), all is well and it does not charge while plugged in. It is a one direction type system.

If the volts are different, then it may be a bi-directonal system and the magnetic switch ( solenoid ) is not working.

Do the test and report back.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have an older 34H that has an inverter/charger that only charges the house batteries when connected to shore power so I had to use a separate auto charger once a week for the 2 chassis batteries until I found the Trik-l-start that bleeds off the house charger into the chassis batteries.
Our chassis batteries always read a little less than the house (when not connected to shore power) because they are the sealed type and not the same as the house deep cycle lead acid which read slightly higher. I understand later model coaches have the ability to charge both battery banks as standard equipment.
bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2013 Journey and it has a BIM (Battery Isolation Manager that closes a solenoid and charges the chassis battery when on shore power and charges house batteries when engine running, and ours failed and stopped charging chassis batteries. I attached the troubleshooting document if the 2012 does have the BIM.
Also precision will repair and ship back for free if you contact them about repair.

Paul
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On ours the Inverter/charger will charge the chassis battery but not constantly. It monitors the battery and will charge it when it falls below a preset voltage. (Called a Smart Battery Combiner)

You can check this by turning ignition key to accessory and running defrost fans. The chassis battery voltage on the oneplace monitor should rise to coach battery voltage after a bit of time.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

In 2010 34y models the chassis battery is charged while on shore power by a Trik-L-Start. These were factory standard. Your 2012 model should definitely be charging the chassis battery. I don't know though what method Winnebago used in later models like yours. What you're seeing may be normal. I would keep an eye on the chassis battery voltage and if it drops to 12.5 volts or less, I'd be concerned. A fully charged battery is 12.6 to 12.8 volts.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all of you. The journey does charge the chassis batteries but not until the voltage drops to about 12.5. I ran the battery down and it charged up to 13.4 matching the house batteries. I was just being a paranoid newbee. Thanks again
Alann5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Alann5910, yes your coach has a Battery Isolation Manager. Here is a link for more info.

Battery Isolation Manager (Control & Relay) 225Amp Continuous | Precision Circuits Inc.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Former Winnebago Owner

grtharris,

Thanks for posting this info. I have a 2011 Meridian 34Y and have been looking for a Trik-L-Start but couldn't find one. Now I know why :-) The BIM looks to be a very sophisticated device, much more so than the Trik-L-Start.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann5910 View Post
We just recently purchased a 2012 Journey 34Y and we love it. The problem I am having is my chassis batteries are draining at home with the shore line plugged in. According to what I can read the shore line should be charging the chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. The house batteries are about 13.5v and the chassis batteries are at 12.8.
Thanks Alan
Hi Alan. If no one has said :welcome:
I hope I am the first.

You may not be having a problem. The charging system will switch to the low battery when needed. 12.8V is a good charge. Mine, at this moment is 12.6 and the house battery is in the Absorb charge routine at 14.7V.

You have a relay that selects the battery needing charging. One charger, two battery banks isolated from one another. Just follow the charging several times a day over a couple of days. You should see good things happening.

Happy trails,

Rick Y

Tags
batteries, chassis, journey