Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2012 Itasca sunova 33c

WE purchased our motorhome today, This is our 1st one in ten years big step up from a small 16 foot trailer. Any suggestions on 1st things to do. Coach is in perfect condition.
RetiredRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRon View Post
WE purchased our motorhome today, This is our 1st one in ten years big step up from a small 16 foot trailer. Any suggestions on 1st things to do. Coach is in perfect condition.
Congratulations ! First thing to do is use it and have a blast!
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Congratulations! We love our 2010 (on a 2011 chassis) and I wouldn't have any other layout (42" TV on the wall above the buffet).
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Congrats to you on your new to you purchase. As stated before get out and enjoy it ASAP. As far as maintenance, just the normal fluid changes in all systems; oil, water, fuel filters, brake fluid air filters. Take it to the scales and weigh it full of water and fuel and then load it up and weigh it again. Verify air pressure and get it on the road.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Take the Owners manual and associated books in the house and spend a couple nights reading. If you don't remember everything, you should remember where to look for the answers. Congrats on the your new rig.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Congrats and hope you enjoy.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Before taking a long trip, go on a short check out cruse, one to insure every thing is working OK. Often something little or maybe a big one will need adjusting/fixed, ie a slide out that will not go in, from experience.

By all means do enjoy, we love the freedom of traveling in ours.
777Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
1. Load her up like you would normally travel.
2. Take it to a Flying J or such and get axle weights and total weight
3. Adjust tire air pressures for your weight according to Goodyear chart
4. Have the front end aligned by a good truck service center
5. Install Roadmaster HD (1 3/4" dia) sway bars front and rear
6. Check handling in cross winds, rough pavement, rutted pavement, semis passing, etc.
7. If handling is OK then enjoy it. Also, remember that this is your wife's 2nd home and she will probably like to decorate the interior a bit. I told my wife to go for it and have fun.
8. You may want to install the 5 Star Tune if you do a lot of hills or mountains-ordered mine yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2891.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	64723  
Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on getting a fine rig. We have 26,000 miles of trouble free travel in ours.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a 2012 Sightseer 33C and for all the reasons mentioned by others we absolutely love it. Like most we made a few changes to make it more suited to our likes.
1. installed a pressure tank to address the annoying pulsing when dry camping.
2. With the 50amp power cable located in the same compartment as the water hookup the space was too cramped. I cut the cable about 1ft from the transfer switch and installed a 50amp plug on the remaining 1ft cable. I then attached a 50amp receptacle to the cable I had cut off, making it a 50amp extension cord. This allows me to store the big 50amp cable in any compartment I choose. I also purchased a 30amp extension cable that we use when at sites without 50amp service (most). The lighter cable is much easier to handle.
3. We removed the king size mattress, cut down the bed platform, and installed a new queen size mattress. It was just too difficult to get around the king size bed.
4. I replaced the factory in dash Jensen sound/DVD player with a new Jensen AWM975 unit. The 42" TV is capable of Hi-Def, but the factory Jensen player is standard definition only. (poor thinking on Winnebago's part) The new unit slides right in the same slot and uses all the same connections, really quick switch out. We now can watch DVD's on rainy nights at 1080i res. I also had to purchase a 30' HDMI cable and route it through the dash, around the driver's seat, up along the cabinet under the TV to get the Hi-def signal to the TV.
5. I replaced the plastic toilet with a china one, just personal preference.
6. I did the 5-Star tuner upgrade. This makes a world of difference in the drivability, no more down shifting on the slightest hills.
7. I changed out most of the light for LED's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	65850   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	65851  

rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rini2 View Post
We purchased a 2012 Sightseer 33C and for all the reasons mentioned by others we absolutely love it. Like most we made a few changes to make it more suited to our likes.
1. installed a pressure tank to address the annoying pulsing when dry camping.
2. With the 50amp power cable located in the same compartment as the water hookup the space was too cramped. I cut the cable about 1ft from the transfer switch and installed a 50amp plug on the remaining 1ft cable. I then attached a 50amp receptacle to the cable I had cut off, making it a 50amp extension cord. This allows me to store the big 50amp cable in any compartment I choose. I also purchased a 30amp extension cable that we use when at sites without 50amp service (most). The lighter cable is much easier to handle.
3. We removed the king size mattress, cut down the bed platform, and installed a new queen size mattress. It was just too difficult to get around the king size bed.
4. I replaced the factory in dash Jensen sound/DVD player with a new Jensen AWM975 unit. The 42" TV is capable of Hi-Def, but the factory Jensen player is standard definition only. (poor thinking on Winnebago's part) The new unit slides right in the same slot and uses all the same connections, really quick switch out. We now can watch DVD's on rainy nights at 1080i res. I also had to purchase a 30' HDMI cable and route it through the dash, around the driver's seat, up along the cabinet under the TV to get the Hi-def signal to the TV.
5. I replaced the plastic toilet with a china one, just personal preference.
6. I did the 5-Star tuner upgrade. This makes a world of difference in the drivability, no more down shifting on the slightest hills.
7. I changed out most of the light for LED's.
Those are some very good modifications that you've made. Ours is the 2010 model but is very similar to the newer years. Ours came with the queen size bed so I didn't have to mess with that, but I have done the 5 Star Tune and the change to LED lighting.

I use a Winegard Carryout satellite dish that needs a 12V connection on the driver's side, so I fished an extension cord from the passenger's side 110V outlet to the wet bay and then hooked a 12 V outlet to it. That way all of my satellite dish connections are right there in one spot.

I put a pressure reducing valve on the water service and just leave it there. When hooked up to city water I attach a water filter on the end of the hose and then hook the filter to the pressure reducing valve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6626.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	65853