Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 Winnebago TOUR Awning

We have a 2011 Winnebago TOUR which is, by the way, fantastic. That is fantastic with one exception (the Eclipse Carefree Awning). This has to be the worst designs I have ever seen. The awning is at least 12 foot high and covers very little area. Anyway, I would like to install a sun screen. These are screens that protrude out at a 45 degree angle and covers the patio. I have all the materials, have turned off the auto retract power switch and now ready for action. Do any of you have any experience with this arrangement? How strong of forecast wind, as example, before I take down the sunscreen and retract the awning. Just wondering......
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can't advise you on when to roll everything up other than when I hear ours start to bounce around from the wind I bring it in. One thing I did change when we bought our screen was save the tie down string for another purpose and used 3 matching bungi cords as the tie downs. Gives the awning and screen some flexability in mild winds.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Oops, that should be bungee

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You should have a 6 position adjustment on your awning arms.
These will lower the angle. Not to 45 degrees, but over 30.
The awning is also designed to retract with whatever setting you pick, so you dont have to readjust it to close it.
It still wont go as low as an old style manual awning, and there will be times when a screen is handy. Just be sure not to overload it & turn off the wind sensor, especially if its tied down. You dont want to chance burning out the motor.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bill for the adjustment tip, got bungees, now ready for action........
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Your welcome Bob. Enjoy the shade. Florida has been sunny this year. And occasionally windy
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Do you leave the screen on when you retract the awning? I would think it would be a real pain to have to remove the screen every time you bring in the awning.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have the same type of Carefree awning, definitely adjust it down several notches.

There is a screen made that comes in two parts, the top part that attaches to the roller, hangs about 18" down, is opaque, and has a zipper. The lower part attaches with the zipper, is the screen material, and hangs down another 6-8 feet.

To retract the awning, you just unzip the lower part, and retract as usual. I would think the smart thing to do, would be to keep your wind sensor off when the screen is deployed, and use your common sense to decide when to retract.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Aaahhh a 2 piece screen. That's a great idea. My DW is very handy at making upholstery, ect, ect. We have a windscreen that she wants to attach to the awning. I will need to suggest the zipper. Or perhaps snaps????
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have been using the new windscreen now for two weeks. One issue was how to connect to the top track considering the roll up hardware on the ends does not allow for a traditional slide on fasteners. I found a great solution. "Mini Bungees". The bungee simply clips inside the track and provides extra flex between the top rail and screen. Rounding out my fitting sceme is rope support ties on the end rails and 24 inch bungees between the ground and screen. This arrangement gives me wind gaps at both the top and bottom of the screen. I always take the sun screen off and roll up separately. Works great and glad I made the move. Thanks for the great comments....

Tags
awning, winnebago