Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD

We are thinking of trading our American Coach Tradition for a 42QD Tour. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about the advisability of doing this? Anything in particular to watch for? Do you think the Tour is well made? Thanks for any advice!
HollemanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 tour 40cd and love it, few minor issues but fixed all of them my self. moldings,
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2011 Journey 40u ,same floor plan . I love it. residential fridge,extend a couch,42 in TV in the living room . Winnebago is making some great coaches now days. New colors also.

Wayne
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

:welcome:

forgot to welcome you .
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's a terrible idea

Actually, we're buying one and picking it up this week. It's the best floor plan that I'm aware of.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We recently got the 42 AD and love it so far. We looked at a number of other coaches, but felt the floorplan, features, and fit & finish were great. We also like the support we have gotten from Winnie on past coaches. I think you will love the 42!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

for those folks that are purchasing 2011, please keep them in great shape for us future buyers
Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We got our QD a week ago -- LOVE IT!! Super quality control by Winnebago -- will fulltime in it. Have driven it almost 1000 miles & slept in it 5 nights. A WINNER!!!
tucsonramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I went to pick up ours today. The PDI went fine with no issues, until I hooked up the Jeep to leave. They forgot to install the SMI air line for the Jeep braking. They thought we had the US Gear system. I'll bring it home on Tuesday.

One other thing that came up was with our Dish system. We've been using a 722 dual tuner to feed the front and rear TVs. In the new coach, there isn't a good way to feed the rear TV with the second output of the 722. The Tour came with a 211 receiver, so they installed it in the bedroom, so it's a minor difference. It'll cost us $5/month to add the receiver to our account.

Most of the time I watch the second tuner of the 722 on my laptop with a Hava wifi video streaming box, while my wife watches her shows on the living room TV. I rarely watch the bedroom TV...though with the cool pop up TV that may change
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had our 42QD since 9/10. It has the pre-emission 400 ISL. Provided some feedback on an eariler thread after our initial shakedown. Now have 7,000 miles and still enjoying it. To recap my eariler post, the only problem with floorplan (to me) is access to powder room with slides in, as in traveling down the road. It is a tight squeeze. From a personal preference, this floor plan could use a little more clothes storage space in bedroom. If you are not use to the electric flush toilets, keep your eye on the black tank level. I think the black tank fills very quickly. Have to adjust just right to get more than a couple of days. Having said that, I think it is the best floorplan, hands down, on the market. Mechanically, the chassis is a great performer, even though it does not have IFS.

From a QA perspective, I still maintain that the initial quality on this rig is much better than on our previous 07 Vectra. The problems have been trivial and easily fixed (so far). I will point out one incident concerning the bed/slide. On this model, in order to store the bedroom slide, you must first raise the head of the bed. There is a sensor in the slide that lets it know that the bed is fully raised. If the slide does not sense this, the slide will not work. On our most recent trip, this was malfunctioning. The head of the bed would fully raise and seemingly lock into position but the slide would not move. In order to get it to move, I would need to physically pick up the food of the bed platform and ram it backwards, jostle it, or otherwise just play with it and eventually the slide would operate. In the shop now for repair and I will report the fix to this when I learn of it.

I say get into the QD and have some good rv'ing.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I picked up ours yesterday. It is very snug between the table and kitchen with the slides in. It would be nice if the table had a release so you could pull it and set it aside while traveling. The reward for the tight quarters on the road is the awesome space when the slides are out. Closet and bedroom drawer space is limited. I haven't started loading it, so I'll have a better perspective on how it works for us in the next few days.

We replaced the in-motion dome with a Winegard Trav'ler and the Dish 211 receiver with our 722 DVR. Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to feed the rear TV from the 722, so the 211 is installed in the bedroom. It'll cost us another $5/month to activate the new receiver...no biggie.

Most of the time I watch the 722 tuner 2 via a Hava Wifi stream on my laptop allowing me to watch my sports in the living room while my wife watches the TV. I'm not sure how often we'll watch the bedroom TV so I'm not in a big hurry to activate the 211 receiver. Of course, the cool factor of the pop-up TV may influence that decision
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

"I will point out one incident concerning the bed/slide. On this model, in order to store the bedroom slide, you must first raise the head of the bed. There is a sensor in the slide that lets it know that the bed is fully raised. If the slide does not sense this, the slide will not work. On our most recent trip, this was malfunctioning. The head of the bed would fully raise and seemingly lock into position but the slide would not move. In order to get it to move, I would need to physically pick up the food of the bed platform and ram it backwards, jostle it, or otherwise just play with it and eventually the slide would operate. In the shop now for repair and I will report the fix to this when I learn of it."

There's a pressure switch accessible thru a hole in the headboard. As is normal Winni cant adjust the torque on their drills at the assembly line,so the self drilling screws attaching the switch to the bedframe will be stripped. Replace switch screws using 2 #12 self tap screws while holding switch in most forward position will do the trick.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Five2o,

Right you are. Picked rig up yesterday. Talked to mechanic who said that the pressure switch is hard to get to. Apparently he did not go through the access hole you describe. But did say it was out of position. He repositioned and screwed it in place and all should be well. It is good to know how to locate it in case it happens again. Thanks.

kjburns, I replied to Winnebago's survey that they should consider some kind of sliding door/pocket door to access the powder room to make it easier to get in with slides closed. Your suggestion for a fix to the tight space between table and counter would also be worth their consideration.

I
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As it turns out, the table has a removable leaf in it. It's in section 9 of the supplemental manual. With the leaf removed and the table pushed back into the buffet, there should be plenty of room to walk by. The plastic slots that hold it in place have a lot friction, so it takes some effort to slide the leaf away from the main part of the table. The leaf stores under the sink.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just a newbie observation

Hi All,

I'm a newbie... but just to the irv2.com forums. At my age I'm certainly not a newbie and maybe even miss the "old -art" level. THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING... it seems the Tour is a very desirable coach. I'm inclined to agree with most positive comments and disagree with the negative ones from what I've seen. We've been looking for about a year and a half and the QD seems to draw us in over some of the others... the floorplan is the best for us.

Anyway, here is just an observation that I'm sure is old news by now but I wouldn't want anyone to think there isn't a good place to put the table leaf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
As it turns out, the table has a removable leaf in it. It's in section 9 of the supplemental manual. With the leaf removed and the table pushed back into the buffet, there should be plenty of room to walk by. The plastic slots that hold it in place have a lot friction, so it takes some effort to slide the leaf away from the main part of the table. The leaf stores under the sink.
The table leaf stores in the same compartment as the laptop pullout tabletop... we were just exploring the 42QD (thinking about buying one) and found that to be an interesting place for it and more convenient than under the sink.
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #16

I traded an 07 Revolution LE for the Tour 42QD and this new coach it the best I have ever owned from the layout to the quality, you wll not go wrong.
bobslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Earlier this year we bought the Tour 42AD our first Motorhome. We liked the layout better than anything else we had seen. We did not see the QD before we bought the AD. I like both layouts but for different reasons. So far we have had only minor new coach issues. Yup we had the bed won't go up so the slide won't retract issue. Pulled the mattress off the bed and found the limit switch faked it out to allow the slide to move in a few inches then put the slide back out and the bed retracted. It is at the dealer now getting the limit switch gaps adjusted to spec. Our seat heaters were mis wired from the factory and were on all the time (drivers Side only) man was my butt hot by the time we got home! That was an easy fix. Overall the quality is very good and it is huge with the slides out. With the AD we don't have the issue of a tight squeeze getting in the bathroom with the slide in that another poster mentioned. The AD has plenty of storage space in the bedroom but we don't have that cool pop up TV. The only chassis issue so far was a leaking tag axel seal on the right side. Freightliner fixed it at the local service center. So far we are really happy with our Tour. We still have 2 years till I retire and we hit the road. We are using this time to work out the kinks and learn the ropes before we head out for extended tours in our Tour!
Buy one you won't be disappointed!
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote