Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 Winnebago Tour 40 CD

Hi all we are about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new to us Tour. Just wondering if there is anything special we should know about or that we should be looking for?
This will be our first Diesel pusher.
Thanks,
Larryg 17
Larryg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryg17 View Post
Hi all we are about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new to us Tour. Just wondering if there is anything special we should know about or that we should be looking for?
This will be our first Diesel pusher.
Thanks,
Larryg 17
Hi Larry,

Good question. YES is the short answer. Have the air dryer serviced, check the date code on the tires, check the service record, run the Auto Start of the generator and note the soot in the exhaust pipe. I suggest either going to Gaffney, SC to the Freightliner factory after you get this rig and have the chassis service done. If your oil and xmission fluid is good make certain to tell them not to change it. The service includes weighing and level adjusting, including the tag, adjusting the break slack adjusters, etc. You may want the engine serpentine belt replaced. The radiator fluid should be tested by a qualified diesel shop (Cummins/Freightliner). IMO the QD has a better floor plan but that is me. About the tires: Many of us are going from Michelin to Toyo. These seem to be a better riding tire and have less problems with sidewall cracking.

A good test of the house batteries is to heat some water in the microwave and watch the voltage drop of the bank (not plugged in to the pedestal). It may drop to 11.9V but should come back to around 12.4 or so after if the bank is good.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2011 Tour CD

Rick, thanks for the heads up.
Larry
Larryg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryg17 View Post
Rick, thanks for the heads up.
Larry
I hope some other folks give you input. There are so many things to be aware of. I just hit the highlights. Have water hooked up and test the washer & dishwasher. Make certain you have hot water on electric & gas. Open every door and look for problems.

Larry, as I hope you already know, these are houses rolling down the road. Things go wrong over time. Try to ID as many of them before you drive off the lot. Some dealers are AS IS dealers. They may or may not fix a problem. I have not had good luck on my present rig with the extended warranty. What ever the dealer offers you check here before you get it.

Looking forward to your progress.

Rick Y
Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Before you buy, go to the Winnebago web site, and under the resources tab you'll be able to find the operators manual for that unit. Read it, Re-read it, and then, Re-read it again, so that when you go to have the PDI you'll already have the basic knowledge of how most of the coach's systems work. This will allow you to have any questions you have after reading the manual's answered.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to add one thing to look at closely, is the fiberglass roof where it's tucked under the rain gutter on the side of the coach. Look closely at the caulking that runs along the top of the rain gutter. There have been instanced of units in the past having issues of the fiberglass pulling out from under that rail.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 40cd, only a few minor issues, have the put a new belt on in the deal. you have to take the bathroom cabinet apart to get to the door to gain access to a bracket at the top of the motor, its a pita. Check the tile floor on it good, the front few pieces like to develop cracks, I had to put tires on mine last year, Michelin love to crack on the side wall. I replace the junk shocks right after I bought it with bilstiens. have the service the aqua hot with a new nozzle and clean the reflector. mine has 45 k on it, gets used 26 times a year and love it. only major issue was the fuel pressure relief valve went bad causing code 559. the antennas on roof dry rot and fall off, when washing the window drain plastic pieces like to fall off , order some spares.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Very good advice provided above. I have an 11 QD. The first and only major surprise was the tires needed replacement. That hurt a bit. I would check the slides closely. I had a harness needing replacement, but they should be able to go in and out many times without incident. Toilets have macerators in them, one of mine went bad, so make sure both flush. I cared about the maintenance on it, so I would want to see records. I took it to the factory to have them look it over and had a bunch of small things. We have put over 20k on it in a year and a half (not fullitmers), and it has had issues, but nothing that cannot be fixed. We are very happy

Tags
winnebago