Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2011 Journey 34Y Tail Pipe Dragging

Anyone have any idea if there is an option or mod to raise the height of the tail pipe on the 34Y with DEF? I assume due to the size of the exhaust system the tail pipe seems to be very low to the ground. It is a couple inches lower than the hitch and extends several inches behind the hitch making it the drag point for any steep driveways or dips.

I plan on asking about it a Camp Freightliner next month, but thought I would see if anyone else has had this issue? I cannot put the MH in my driveway due to the dip at the bottom of the driveway. The hitch would much more endure a drag than the tail pipe, so trying to be proactive in preventing damage to the exhaust system or tail pipe.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There seems to be two questions here ...
  1. can you raise the tailpipe?
  2. is there some way to get my present motorhome in my driveway?

There was a long thread on this forum a long time ago about building little "bridges" across the dips at the end of the driveway so that their rigs did not drag ... they used blocks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I thought about using some boards to build up the dip area at the bottom of my driveway but would rather increase the ground clearance of the tail pipe for gas station driveways and other driveways and dips I might encounter in my travels.

Just seeing if anyone had any thoughts about increasing the ground clearance.

I think I remember seeing the thread you referenced, and I might do something like that if I need to bring the MH home, but since it can only stay here for 72 hr. a year, not going to invest much for that short time.

Thanks for your reply,
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have only hit the tip of my exhaust extension twice on my 34Y in the last year. Both times it startled me a bit when it happened. I don't see a way to easily move the height of the extension. I mentioned mine dragging at Camp Freightliner and we got into a discussion about ride height and I never got a definitive answer about the possibility of relocating the extension. Maybe you can pin Mike Cody down better than I did when you attend Camp.

Good luck,

TxTC
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I imagine if Freightliner could have mounted it higher, they would have. Have you considered something like this? Camping World has several variations on that theme, but the 2 wheel model looks like it gives the most clearance.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Brought the issue up at camp freightliner and did not get any resolution other than boards or something to raise wheels when starting the incline. So i tried it and did get mh in driveway. Not great bit it did work.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We love our 34Y, but it does have a pretty long overhang. I got a couple of heavy duty rollers and had them welded to the hitch mount as close to the chassis frame as possible. Vendor said the rollers can support the rear of a DP and of course the chassis can. The rollers are stainless and have internally lubed bearings. Have had to use a few times entering non-RV friendly fuel stops. Look fine after 3 years and lubed once since then. Hope this helps.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

nsdienes:

Are the rollers you used like the ones from Camping World? Are there two or one of them and are they mounted to the receiver draw bar area or on the sides of the receiver away from the draw bar are of the receiver?
Here is a link to some at CampingWorld:
Ultra Steel Rollers - Product - Camping World

Does yours look like these?

Thanks for the information,
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Looks like them. Roller diameter should be about 3" or more. Welder could add spacers as needed. Two of them welded to the hitch frame where mounted to each chassis frame. At the time it was easier to take hitch to welder instead of coach. Figured if welded as close as possible to where hitch mounts to frames, will accomplish same as weld to frames. If too close to center was afraid of bending hitch mount. Best that I can do, since dp is not here at home.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey