Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Also the manual says there is a ice maker filter but I have not located one. Does your unit have an ice maker filter? I have a whole house filter but that is the only filter I have found.
First picture attachment interesting to get it done.

Thanks,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

If you have the residential one the filter is in the ceiling of the refrig compartment. (Mine is a Maytag)
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

My Ice Maker filter is a component of the refrig it self and is located inside the refrig part rather than the freezer. The refrig is a double door with the bottom freezer compartment and the ice cube dispenser in the door.
I also have a filter located where your broken wire is located that filters water to a drinking water spigot installed beside the faucet above. My Journey is a 40U 2012.
I don't know what the wire is for. Many times the wire bundles are used on different applications for different models and all wires are not connected for every model. However they seldom are left bare. What ever that wire is it appears to be 12V.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, I don't have anything like that in my undersink area. I forget, did you say you bought yours new? I do see that they relocated the icemaker shutoff so that it is easier to access. Mine is in the very back of the cabinet.

I don't think I have an icemaker filter but now that you've brought it up I have to go research it!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Can you see any writing or printing on that wire? Might need to peel the wire loom back. A printed number would give you an idea of what the circuit is. With the number off the wire, Winnebago CS should be able to help you out, or go to the electrical drawings on the Winnebago site.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Motorhome is at the dealer for some small items plus some paint repair, yes it was bought new except it had been on their lot for 7 to 8 months and the paint took a couple scrapes plus one of the bay doors had some weird swirly pattern in the paint which they are repainting. Hope I do not regret that!
I will look to see if I can find any identifiers on the cable hen I pick it up. It has to go to Freightliner after the dealer for dash air not working, turn signal not cancelling and transmission mode indicator not indicating.
May be a few days.
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago does a great job of labeling their wiring. I have the entire wiring diagram with all the identifier codes so, if you can get the info off the wire we can probably solve the mystery.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

We're negotiating with the local CW on a 2011 Journey 34Y with our 02 Newmar KSDP 36' as a trade, so I'm pondering some plus/minus issues.

We have a Whirlpool stack W/D pair in a middle closet that we'd like to keep vs. the combo unit space offered in the 34Y. I'm sure the washer will fit, but wonder about locating the dryer. The options seen to be to tear apart the upper corner shelf unit with an installation challenge and some new cabinet doors, or to locate it inside the sliding mirror door next to the washer. Has anyone done this?

I've been considering a residential fridge if we keep the KSDP, but think I've seen a post by someone changing out the 34Y 4-door for a residential model with extra batteries and bigger inverter. Is this a DIY swap, or is a factory install needed? What residential fridge fits?

Cheers,
Mick & Sue
maifimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Can't help you with the fridge question. I'm very happy with my Norcold but I know others have had some problems. We do a lot of dry camping and I wouldn't want to have to run the refer off the batteries.

As for the Washer / Dryer question. We have the combo unit and like it a lot. Put the clothes in, press start, wake up the next morning and the clothes are done. No moving from washer to dryer. The only thing we don't like is that it takes up a lot of space. Using space in the rear wardrobe for a separate dryer would really limit your storage. I think it could be done though.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Randy,
I appreciate the feedback on the combo W/D, but DW is used to the separates...

I got a chance to go thru the coach with my camera and tape measure, so I'm certain there's enough space behind the corner cabinet panel (~9.5"). I'd need to drop the floor of the lower compartment approx. 8" to give me a little clearance breathing room for the Whirlpool Compact Washer & Dryer stack. It's ~23" above floor level, so I'm hoping there's nothing critical underneath. Is the small square panel on the outside wall an access for the dryer vent? I didn't zoom in enough to capture the labeling.

I think the Norcold 4-door Refrigerator Freezer will be OK, but the trend is toward the residential AC fridges with pretty convincing experiences posted at the Newmar forum for performance on the inverter. I just wonder if there's a three-door model with bottom freezer drawer that will fit?

That brings me to your experience with the standard Xantrex Pro XM1000 inverter. Should I be proactive and put in a request for the upgraded Inverter/Charger unit and added batteries? There's only a month left on the original warranty.

Cheers,
Mick & Sue

PS: What's the drill for the King bed? There's barely any room to slide along side!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mick and Sue,
The king bed is definitely a trade off but we love ours. Yep, you gotta turn sideways to move along side but I usually just throw my bride on and jump in after her!

I hope you can make the stack work. Make sure to take plenty of photos cause it will be an interesting project. I'm not sure what's under the floor of that compartment but it looks empty in the Winnebago drawing (attached).

If you are talking about the door on the inside of the wardrobe, it is the access to the plumbing / electrical hookups for the washer / dryer. The dryer vent is on the drivers side rear of the coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 34y furnishings.PDF (1.27 MB, 141 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Randy,

The 2011 34y furnishings PDF is excellent - Thanks!

We've taken the plunge on the trade for the 2011 34Y with delivery on Monday.

Since there's only a month left on the original warranty, I'd like to document and submit a claim for the Xantrex XM1000 / Auto Gen start fault reset issue you and others have outlined. Do you have any advice on confirming the fault exists and presenting a claim?

Are there other Winnebago TSB or factory updates I should have addressed by the dealer in predelivery prep?

Cheers,
Mick & Sue
2011 Journey Express 34Y, '05 CR-V
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mick,
I'll turn to the Xantrex issue in a moment.

I don't know of any TSBs or recalls on our 34Y. Read my earlier post in this thread about our modifications / issues.

I would highly recommend that you check the chassis date of manufacture and make sure the dealer brings all the scheduled maintenance current before you take delivery. There are important time and mileage due dates. Even if the coach only has a few miles on it from the delivery to the dealer, the chassis has likely sat on the lot for awhile (either at winnebago or at your dealer) and needs scheduled maintenance. You can save yourself quite a bit of money if you can convince the dealer to bring it current. Otherwise, you'll find your probably overdue for several major service items the day you take delivery. The best thing to do is get the numbers off the coach and call freightliner. They can tell you exactly what is due.

If they have the capability, ask the dealer to do a "four wheel alignment" after you have the coach loaded. Most dealers can't do this but they might be able to get it done for you at the nearest Freightliner dealer. You'll see in your chassis manuals that this is recommended by Freightliner. I had mine done at Gaffney (Freightliner Factory in SC) and they found the rear axle was out of alignment so much they had to break some welds to correct the problem. All in warranty thank heavens!

There are a lot of Pre-Delivery checklist on this and other sites so I won't try and create one here. Just search and you'll find plenty. It is super important to allow time to accomplish a complete checklist and to allow time for the dealer to fix anything you find.

Make sure the awnings work correctly, especially the wind retraction feature on the main awning and the door-to-awning clearance on the door awning. There are a couple of pins in the door awning that can come loose and allow it to droop enough to hit the entry door when it opens.

You are going to love your 34Y! It is a great coach.
Best regards,
Randy
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Mick,
The xantrex issue . . .

It is a difficult problem to duplicate repeatedly which is why it took me nearly a year, two dealers, and finally a factory visit to correct. And, correcting it meant removing the xantrex and replacing it with a different inverter and adding an inverter sub-panel.

Best way to duplicate:
- Put AC Power on the coach. Generator or Shore Power, it didn't matter in my coach.
- Turn the inverter on
- Turn the TVs / satellite system on (in the stock configuration the entertainment system outlets are the only ones that get power.)
- Disconnect AC power (pull shore power or power down the generator)
- About 3 out of 10 times the inverter will fail with the alarm 05 you've come to know and love.

I wouldn't take delivery until they correct the problem or replace the inverter. That's easier said than done I know!

If it helps, I'd be happy to provide you with my serial number and you could have the dealer contact Winnie factory service for my service history.

Best of luck,
Randy

Tags
journey