Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2010 Winnie Journey Rust

Original owner bought brand new , just wondering if anyone else is experiencing rust issues with the welded structure onto the Freightliner chaise. It appears all of the weld joints and flat metal components are rusting; and the applied black paint is just flaking off. Don’t they ( Winnebago) have any type of corrosion protection process for these coaches given the cost of these units ?
While I’ve had good luck mechanically with the coach the cosmetic portion leaves a little room for improvement
Recently looking at a 2017or 2018 Tour however with that kind of investment in $$$$ not sure what its going to look like in 7 years. My current unit is well maintained and taken care of just disappointing seeing all of this rust throughout the coach
Anyone experiencing similar issue ?
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The amount of rust on the underside of an RV can be heavily influenced by where and when you drive. There is always going to be some rust on a metal structure, the question is, is it bad enough to be worrisome, or just a bit of surface coating?

Our first Class A, RV, was a 2003 Itasca Horizon, driven in New England winters its first two years. Salt on the roads I think! We bought it in 2007, and there was heavy rust nearly everywhere on the underside. I spent a couple weeks of late afternoons, periodically wire brushing, applying rust remover, sanding, etc. and recoating with heavy coats of Rustoleum. As the third owner, our three years of travelling with it, was mostly in the Pacific NW, dry or clean rainy roads. When we traded it in, the underside still looked better than most other 7 year old RVs.

Now we have a 2010 Winnebago, one owner (us), driven around the country, 95% in dry weather, all over the country. Yes there are several places with light rust showing, usually the welded joints, below and behind the water compartment, most on the driver's side. I get after the worst of them every once in a while, with a little light wire brushing, rust remover, and Rustoleum. After 8 years of driving around the country, you really can't find any particularly worrisome rust spots under our coach, and it really hasn't taken much work to keep it that way.

I did install mud flaps on each wheel well, and all hang to about 2" of the pavement when driving. Really keeps the underside of the RV dry, and the rocks off the toad.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My '94, and now my '02, both with rusty Freightliner chassis, had lots of rust. All I did was foam brush on Jasco Prep & Primer from the paint section of Home Depot. Comes in quart sizes and chemically changes the rust back into metal. Not as strong of course, but stops rust in it's tracks. Turns it black usually so it looks better. Costs a fraction of those name brand rust products...most of which are based on the same chemical the Jasco is.

I usually scrape of any rust flakes (had lots of those on the '94, very few on the '02) and then either foam brush on the Jasco or spray it on from a squirt bottle.

My friend has a '04 and she foam brushed it on the under chassis and it looks great. Didn't do anything else.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, rust