Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2009 Meridian question???

My husband and I are thinking of replacing our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with a 2009 Meridian 34Y. Right now, we're able to store our Sightseer in our daughter and son-in-law's barn due to it's nice 30' length. However, the 34+ foot of the Meridian would crowd them since they also store their 35 footer. We have a beautiful pole barn which only has a 12' slider door (actual height is 11'8"). I noticed that the brochure says the Meridian measures 12'2" in height and the salesguy said maybe we could lower the air bags? Would that actually lower the coach over 6" - maybe over 8" to get it easily in and out? The trusses are a few inches higher - but not much, so would the bags fill when we start the coach to pull it out? My husband insists on ALWAYS storing our motorhomes inside - even just between weekend trips. Thanks for your advice! We've never owned a diesel before!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had the same height problem where I park my motorhome. With the air bags deflated, you will only gain at most 3 to 4 inches. But as soon as you move the coach the bags will begin to inflate. If you can find a really clean 2006 or 2007 Journey or Meridian the overall height is only 11ft 8 inches with air bags inflated. The overall height changed in 2008 to 12ft 2 inch with air bags inflated.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our 2004 Journey drops between 4" and 5" when the air bags are deflated ...

It is pretty easy to measure ... measure how far the mud flap is off the ground when the bags are inflated ... then again when they are deflated
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you so much for your advice! We'll keep looking. In the meantime, we'll meet with a pole barn construction expert to see if there's anything we can do to heighten the door. Thanks again!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have an acquaintence that bought a motorhome that was too tall for the door (and existing trusses) of their pole barn. A local carpenter was able to rebuild enough of the trusses so that he could install a taller door. I was in the pole building and saw the remake but unfortunately my rememberer is not good enough to remember the details ...

I remember that the center part of the first few trusses were made about a foot taller in the center of the building ... then a taller door was installed.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had a friend who lowered the floor. It was dirt and he just had 6 inches removed at the door and the width of the coach. Off topic: We really like the 34Y floor plan but have you seriously looked a the the basement storage? There is really only one compartment for storage. Compare it to the 36 from past years, it is seriously lacking.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Like the change the door idea. That way you don't have to remember to lower the motorhome. For me, it would be an accident waiting to happen. Murphy lives very close to me and I have learned (and relearn occasionally) not to tempt him.

Really like the 34Y, but not this year.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Your problem is a remake of one I have been wrestling with for three years and being a procrastinator I have not done anything but research of which might be of some help to you. First, I have a 06 Meridian (36). I store it in a building that has a 12 ft. wide door. Very tight getting in and out. I cannot open any basement doors very far. If my batteries should go dead I will have to have someone pull it out. Not a good situation. The height of the door is also 12ft. Plenty of clearance. No problem there as I am 11'8" in height. The building is super dry, have plenty of power to keep it plugged in and no pests of any kind so that in itself is a real plus but it is not at my house which is the real problem at hand. It is close by my house.
Now, at my house I have a garage that is 36'3" long by 26' wide. The door is 10ft high, 12ft. wide. Trusses are 11'8". As you can see I am really screwed. I have looked at raising the roof, raising the building and adding a knee wall to increase the height, adding on to the building 20ft., raising the header and trusses and on and on. Finally I think I should just doze the darn thing and start over. Maybe your idea of raising the header and trusses would be the cheapest and best solution. Let me know what you decide to do as I will be very curious. Meanwhile, if anyone else has a better idea for my situation I would sure welcome it. I would really like to have my coach at my house. I hope I am not hijacking this thread as my intent is to share some info. with the OP. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I needed to raise the door and make the garage longer. The photo shows how I did it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6836.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1007
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

ernieh-That looks great. Perfect solution to your problem and perhaps mine. I never thought about doing it that way but it makes great sense. Did you have to change the roof joyces in the original part? What were your dimensions before and what are they now if I may ask? Did you run into any problems you did not anticipate? Also, may I be so bold to ask what an addition like yours cost? I think your solution is my answer. Thanks for posting, you made my day.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

funtime,

The original MH garage was 16x33 with an 11' door. The framing was unique so as not to alter the plate line on the front of the house. The original door height was limited by the rafters on the side you can see in the picture.

The easiest way to get a larger door was to literally raise the roof. The new part was framed the way it is in order to save on cost and not have to alter some complicated framing not shown in the picture.

The new door is 12'2" and the garage is now 38' long. You will have to provide clearance for your door, but you might be able to use a low overhead track. Also, you might be able to remove your door header and still have support by applying sheer plywood to the gable end.

I don't remember what the cost was because I did all the work myself, but I'm pretty sure it was under $3000, eight years ago. The only problem was having to work 20' in the air, but I was able to lay plywood on the roof of my old motorhome and use it as a platform.

Good luck with your project.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks ernieh for the info. It was just what I was looking for. I already started the measuring and planning. Not sure if it will work just yet but it gives me hope. Take care.