Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RCtime:
John
....What feeling did you have about the livibility with the slides in the closed position?
Did you get a chance to see it this way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I took the tour of the 34Y yesterday and asked about the clearance wtih the both slides in. Answer, the king bed comes right up to the orther side so there's no clearance. But he did say you have access to the bathroom with the slide in.

It's much like our '04 Chieftain with the kitchen slide. My opinion, it's quite livable for two folks with street slide in. Then you just slide out the rear a foot or so to access the rear closet.

That front living area is real sweet. Even cooking in the kitchen you can view tv.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
..... The Voyage (Adventurer for '09) overhead cabinets on the slide wall were very small and awkward. Are they similar in the Journey? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, you're right about about that. Like the tour guide said, you're not going to get a box of Wheaties in there. The top shelf is only about 3-4" deep. The bottom shelf is maybe 8" deep. He had samples of the 3 pieces of aluminum that comprise the beam structure to explain why the overhead cabinets are so small on the full wall slide models.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RCtime:
The brochure lists a 56.6 cu. ft storage
My 2002 34 foot Journey lists a storage cu. ft of 92
That does seem like a large outside storage loss from their previous 34 footers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the Adventuer 32H lists 74 cu ft of exterior storage. Driveshaft down the middle and it still has more storage than the "same" coach that's 2' longer but a DP? Batteries under the step is one thing the gaser has over the diesel for added storage, must be more than that...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Finally got to look at this rig close up today at the California RV Show... Don't like it!!

I don't like that:
-The refrigerator is closer to the bedroom than the bathroom door (ie- the kitchen area extends down the hall and looks kinda weird).
- There is only one double slider separating the bedroom from everything else. IE- noise separation.

-EVERY light in the coach (and there are a TON of them) is incandescent. They have removed every florescent that was in the 34H and replaced them with halogen flush-mount lights.This is in no way a dry-camping coach.

-Fridge is now in a slide lending to known cooling issues.

-While it's neat that the TV is viewable "straight-on" from the sofa, it doesn't lend itself to a standard couch potato position of viewing past your feet.. The 34H has a nice recliner with a table that doubles easily as a PC table enabling TV viewing as well as PC. The 34Y is missing that table, and the dinette table is within 12" of the LCD, so that doesn't work.

-The new rectangular exhaust looks kinda tacky with what appears to be an afterthought trim piece around it.

-Don't think I really like the "Foretravel" front end much, but that's just me.

What I really like:
-The storage!!

-Supposedly the HVAC is bigger, better, and colder.

- 3 slides make it huge inside.. (I just don't like slides in my patio area).

To each their own, but there were pieces of the 34H that should have been left in this re-designed size, because now it will take several years to refine this one to a really workable unit IMO. Sometime ya gotta leave well enough alone..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted October 12, 2008 05:57 AM Hide Post
Finally got to look at this rig close up today at the California RV Show... Don't like it!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

----------------------------------------
Thanks for your evaluation Jeff. Hopefully I will make it to the show this week.
Where do you think its nich will be?
I assume when you said great storage, it was in reference to inside storage, not outside.
Was there room to store the lawn chairs and barbeque?
Did you make it to the BIG TENT. I was dissapointed in it last year.
Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I'm not really sure what it's niche may/ will be. Maybe if you're a FT and don't need to think about conservation, and are OK with walking to the bedroom to get a Coke from the fridge...

Maybe I'm looking at that backwards: Midnight snacks made easy

Storage: I was referring to the outside storage. Compared to the 34H it's absolutely huge. No frame rail in the way, so it's pass-thru.

The Show: If you didn't like the test last year you won't be too surprised at it this year.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

This coach has many positive points and may appeal to many folks. For me however, the lack of outside storage is a deal killer. There are 25 to 30 ft coaches with twice as much storage.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

For years my dream coach has included:

-A Recliner for me
-A Couch for my wife
-A TV away from the windshield
-A big fridge
-A King bed
-A Washer/Dryer
-An enclosed bath
-Under 35' so my wife won't be afraid to drive, and I can get into more parks

Now, I just need to sell a bunch of these so one will come back in trade that I can afford!

2002 25' Mallard Trailer
kampingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

The 34Y has a really great layout. Not a coach to fulltime in for sure unless you travel light! For the weekender or two-week vacationer family I think it's a great rig.

Fridge on the slide - no problem. Ours is on the slide and works great. I realize there are there some who have cooling (venting-related) problems, but just because the fridge is on the slide is not an automatic problem.

I like our Euro-lounger (and Jane says it doesn't fit her frame - yea!) and the couch is comfortable for both of us.

Honestly - 35 or 40 feet isn't much of a difference. We first drove the 36' Vectra and then a 40' and there wasn't much difference in the two as far as driving intimidation goes (we were brand-new to the scene at the time.)
We love our washer/dryer. Our full-length queen bed is fine for months at a time.

We have poked around many state, national, COE, and Forest Service parks in scouting missions with the Jeep to check for suitability for our 40'. My conclusion is if you want to be *certain* you will fit virtually anywhere, stick to 26' or below. 35' or 40' really places you in a "maybe" class of fitting into a non-commercial campground.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

I looked at the coach,34Y, very carefully at the Pomona show. Really liked it with one exception.
Not enough outside storage. Could not even begin to store tools, lawn chairs, BBQ, fishing tackle ect even for one month trips. The TV arrangement wors ok for me.

fishboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fishboat1:
I looked at the coach,34Y, very carefully at the Pomona show. Really liked it with one exception.
Not enough outside storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm going again this weekend and will go back and check the storage. Unless I'm confusing it with something else I remember it having at least twice the storage of the 34H.

EDIT: Man, what was I thinking about? The 34Y is 1/2 or less the external storage of the 34H!! There was a couple that owns a 32T there at the same time and they couldn't believe how little space it had too. Even theirs has more external storage.

Jeff - WA6EQU