Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile 2008 Winnebago Destination Headliner Stains

We have a new to us 2008 Winnebago Detination 39W. The very light tan or off-white headliner, which is a carpet like material, has dark stains where each of the motor/gear slideout locks are positioned. It appears that the gear mechanism is shedding some grey metal like powder into the headliner. Has anyone elso noticed this issue in their motorhomes? If so, what product did you use to clean the headliner? Does Winnebago Industries have a contact point to ask these types of questions?

Any and all comments appreciated.

Ron & Jane Schroer
Texas
rschroer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've never tried it myself, but some folks have reported success with using a thick mixture of Oxyclean rubbed into stains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My previous RV had that carpet type material and I used one of those small bissel rug shampooers on it. I did not it get it soaking wet but it worked well enough to take away the stains around the AC unit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
rca
Winnebago Camper

I have the same coach with a similar problem but above the frig area and think it's caused by running the frig on propane while traveling ... just a slight blackening above the hall area. I'm going to try a Bissell home carpet cleaning unit, using the stair attachment to see what happens. If that doesn't work, maybe aerosol brake cleaner that I've used to remove grease spots on clothing.
You might be able to vacuum it out if it is powdered metal dust from the lock mechanism. Might be worth a try before you use a solvent or cleaning solution.
Good luck!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ron, you can also try Peroxide. I had black around the ceiling outlets from the air conditioner. Cleaned it right up. I used a tooth brush and only used a much as necessary to clean the area. In other words, I DID NOT saturate the ceiling material.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You may try this produce. This is what Winnebago recommended the dealer to use on my motor home for water stains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7691.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	89723  
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
I have the same coach with a similar problem but above the frig area and think it's caused by running the frig on propane while traveling ... just a slight blackening above the hall area. I'm going to try a Bissell home carpet cleaning unit, using the stair attachment to see what happens. If that doesn't work, maybe aerosol brake cleaner that I've used to remove grease spots on clothing.
You might be able to vacuum it out if it is powdered metal dust from the lock mechanism. Might be worth a try before you use a solvent or cleaning solution.
Good luck!
The only way for that blackening to come from the frig is for something to be quite wrong with the frig operation on LP.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschroer View Post
We have a new to us 2008 Winnebago Detination 39W. The very light tan or off-white headliner, which is a carpet like material, has dark stains where each of the motor/gear slideout locks are positioned. It appears that the gear mechanism is shedding some grey metal like powder into the headliner. Has anyone elso noticed this issue in their motorhomes? If so, what product did you use to clean the headliner? Does Winnebago Industries have a contact point to ask these types of questions?

Any and all comments appreciated.

Ron & Jane Schroer
Texas
Ron:

I have the same thing. Once we notice it, the wife wipes it off with just a damp rag I believe. It is above the slide locks. Surprisingly, it is only on the driver's side. We have a residential fridge so it is not from the fridge/propane in our case.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Have a similar spot about in the middle of the drivers side slide out, and wasn't sure sure what use to remove it. Thanks to those who have offered suggestions on how to remove it.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
rca
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ray! The coach is due for a propane service when I get home and I'll be sure to point it out to the tech.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

where is the fuse box on my 99 winebago
carsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

rca, if you are getting anything from the combustion unit on your refrigerator inside your coach there is something wrong with the venting of the back of the unit. All burner exhaust should be vented to the outside.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Insta-gone

X2

Tags
winnebago