Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just took delivery of my new Ellipse yesterday and on the 250 mile drive home noticed that there was a definite "pull" to the right side. It was so bad that I could not let my hand off of the steering wheel for 1 second. There was a light cross wind of 5 to 10 mph. Has anyone else ever experienced this ?
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just took delivery of my new Ellipse yesterday and on the 250 mile drive home noticed that there was a definite "pull" to the right side. It was so bad that I could not let my hand off of the steering wheel for 1 second. There was a light cross wind of 5 to 10 mph. Has anyone else ever experienced this ?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Like the card says in Monopoly ...

Do not pass GO... go directly to an alignment shop ...

If you check your Yellow Pages you will find an alignment center that is set up to handle trucks, school buses, and motorhomes ...

PS. Make sure that you load your coach with all of your stuff before the alignment!
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree completely with skigramp. Get to a truck alignment shop ASAP. Those expensive tires won't last long if the alignment is bad. Incidently, this is not a warranty item with most coaches, although when my coach was delivered a couple of years ago my steeringwheel was not aligned properly and the dealer did take care of that.

Congratulations, by the way, on a great coach.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Stupid question - was it that way when you took your test drive? I would think you would notice if it were. What type of road were you on - Interstate or two lane - if 2 lane it could be the crown in the road???? Just some other possibilities.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Today I measured the distance from the fenderwell to the ground on both sides and found that the right front side was 1.5 inches lower than the left front. The rear corners are at the same height. This is probably the cause of my problem. Planning on booking it in to Freightliner this week.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You need to get the ride height and alignment checked. Have it done with a fully loaded coach (all your stuff aboard.)

BTW, is an Itaska the Polish version of the Itasca

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

John , I think Winnebego actually mis-spells Itasca incorrectly.

Anyway .... Had Freightliner do the air ride adjustment and was told that they were way out of spec (so much for quality controls and PDI's).

About 1 mile from home on the 30 mile drive from Freightliner the check engine light, ABS light, check transmission light came on (also lost my speedometer).

When I got home got the manuals out and dumped the Freightliner and Allison error codes, called
Freightliner Service and was told that the error points to a bus communication failure with the MCU and there is probably a loose connector. Soooo... back to Freightliner I go next week.

I have also noticed that my side cam is blurry and upon inspection noticed that there is water
inside the lens cover. Anyone ever had one of these apart ?

So far this unit has been a nightmare and I have not even used it.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Man it is a real pain when a brand new coach does you like that. While I expected some "shake down" issues, which did occur, what you are going through is too much. I would get with Winnebago Customer Service and see if they can streamline this for you a bit. Mine has been in for two weeks on minor stuff, two weeks no use and have not paid the first payment. Sorta disappointing.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I am sorry to say, while very painful, this is normal for a brand new coach. It should not be but it takes about a year to get ALL the bugs out.

If parts are needed and the Dealer is not to far from home ask that they notify you when the parts are in and you will return the unit.

Call Winnie Customer Service everytime you have a problem and let them know whats going on..Have them document it and even tho they route you to a vendor ask they make a note in your file...Good Luck and yes I have endured the pain...You will enjoy the Ellipse
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Applejack:
John , I think Winnebego actually mis-spells Itasca incorrectly.

Anyway .... Had Freightliner do the air ride adjustment and was told that they were way out of spec (so much for quality controls and PDI's).

About 1 mile from home on the 30 mile drive from Freightliner the check engine light, ABS light, check transmission light came on (also lost my speedometer).

When I got home got the manuals out and dumped the Freightliner and Allison error codes, called
Freightliner Service and was told that the error points to a bus communication failure with the MCU and there is probably a loose connector. Soooo... back to Freightliner I go next week.

I have also noticed that my side cam is blurry and upon inspection noticed that there is water
inside the lens cover. Anyone ever had one of these apart ?

So far this unit has been a nightmare and I have not even used it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You are just having normal new-coach issues. We have all been through that to some degree or another, so just keep smiling and resolve yourself to see it through. I think a general rule of thumb is that about a year is necessary to work out the bugs.

We had a check engine light when the coach was new - turned out to be a loose connector in the wiring harness from the fuel filter water sensor. As I remember our ride height and alignment were fairly close, but needed to be tweaked.

The side view cams are a bit problematic - I replaced mine due to a blurring in the center (I added a side cam to mine - Winnie didn't start using side-view cams until 2006 model year.) I recommend you not fool with it, but get it replaced.

As a matter of fact, we are headed to Freightliner Phoenix end of the month for a moisture ejector problem and I just noticed we have a leak at the end of the transmission oil cooler (or one of the coolers.)

So while you will work through initial production problems, you will most likely always have a problem or two to deal with every so often - that's just the way it is.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Well this is where I get all bent out of shape.

According to what I have seen about Winnebago/Itasca manufacturing and thorough testing, no coach should leave the factory that way. Watched the National Geo. special and that's what convinced me to purchase my Itasca (Itaska). Quality control!!!

Secondly they are driven to the the dealer by people who are (or should be) experienced drivers who know when things aren't right. Those should be reported and taken care of. Many handling problems can be resolved before the rig hit's the floor for sales.

Finally it is the dealers responsibility to insure that the coach is in road ready condition before delivery is made to the consumer. It must be taken out by a qualified technician or service manager and then signed off as to it's rediness.

The test drive must be done to your satisfaction. Make it a long one and on different road conditions. If your happy and accept it as driven then the burden shifts back to you.

Let the dealer owner know, let the factory know and anyone else who'll listen (like us) of how dis-satisfied you are with a brand new product.
We don't settle on other major items that are defective - we should not settle on our Motor Homes either.

Wow that felt good.

Accepting that it's a new coach and it has problems is not what we pay for!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Tom, you are absolutely right. BUT...it is what it is and for the most part us owners notify the factory and deal with it.

Gas should be about $2.00 a gallon or even less would be better, BUT it is what it is and we each deal with it in our own way..

Your opinion has been expressed many times and compared to american cars of the 70's yet if we had the quality control to eliminate all problems the coaches would probably be twice as much.
This doesn't make it right in any way, shape or form. Just keep on plugging and have fun doing it...Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Tom, you are absolutely right. BUT...it is what it is and for the most part us owners notify the factory and deal with it.

Gas should be about $2.00 a gallon or even less would be better, BUT it is what it is and we each deal with it in our own way..

Your opinion has been expressed many times and compared to american cars of the 70's yet if we had the quality control to eliminate all problems the coaches would probably be twice as much.
This doesn't make it right in any way, shape or form. Just keep on plugging and have fun doing it...Be Safe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to be honest here - I know I have said a couple of things that I feel should be changed but don't recall comparing them to cars of 70's?

Point being in all cases with me is that there is always room and a need for improvement. If we settle for mediocrity that's what we'll get.

I personally think my Itasca is very nice - I am extremely happy with it and find it more and more so every day.

Like you stated gas should be 2.00 a gallon and we should be happy - I'd say gas should be $1.50 a gallon and we'd be even more happy.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Rocket Heart: Forget about the delivery drivers reporting anything. They deliver, get released and return as fast as possible to take another coach to its destination, they get paid by the driven mile. They could care less about the coach as long as it runs and gets to where it's sent,(no one would listen to them anyway). I used to manage one of these delivery companies, the drivers have no interest in the coach at all. However, they also will not abuse the coach in transit.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote