Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I looked at a new one with all the intentions of buying it. However when I looked at the rear, here are two 4" exhaust pipes coming straight out of the rear. My tow bar is only 3' long. I asked the salesman if there would be a problem with the hot exhaust melting the front end of my Subaru. His response was that over 10 mph, the exhaust would disapate and not damage the vehicle However when I asked if he would replace my tow vehicle with a new one if it were damaged, he refused to answer. I left!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I looked at a new one with all the intentions of buying it. However when I looked at the rear, here are two 4" exhaust pipes coming straight out of the rear. My tow bar is only 3' long. I asked the salesman if there would be a problem with the hot exhaust melting the front end of my Subaru. His response was that over 10 mph, the exhaust would disapate and not damage the vehicle However when I asked if he would replace my tow vehicle with a new one if it were damaged, he refused to answer. I left!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Would taking it to an exhaust shop and having downward pointing stainless steel tips welded on be an option? I imagine you could get good deals on the Destination. They have the $11,000.00 cash back now.

If you like the Destination that much I'm sure you can work around it. Good luck.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine came with the exhaust tips installed.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
Mine came with the exhaust tips installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne did you order it as an add on? I see you tow so it shouldn't be a problem.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I may be nuts but I like my 2000 Adventurer more than that Destination. One thing is the shower in mine is twice the size and a few other things like under the seats in the dining area----no drawers, just a big compartment that you have to lift the seat to get to. Mine has drawers there. I think for the price, I'll keep mine.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought mine off the dealers lot. It came from the factory with the tips installed.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When we were shopping for our new motorhome, we looked at the Destination but chose the adventurer instead. Our first impression of the interior of the Destination compared to the Adventurer was that the Destination looked cheap on the inside. It may just be us but we noticed that the windows did not have the side valances, the bedroom seemed very plane, and the dinette looked like it came out of a cheap trailer. We did not like the convection microwave below the stove and did not feel it had the same storage in the cabinets. I guess we are old school not caring much for the rounded cabinets. I think the concept of the UFO motorhome is great but Winnebago needs to do a little bit better on the appointment to the inside. Also noticed it had wheel covers rather than the Alcoa aluminum wheels. Just seemed like a very entry level coach to us. We saw a Journey 36SG DP for about the same price which would have been a better buy in our opinion. Do not mean to offend anyone, just offering an opinion. Different strokes for different folks makes the world go round and nothing wrong with that.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I don't think anything three feet from a moho exhaust will get melted. I vote with Mr. Finhawk. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Downward pointed exhaust kick up lots of dirt and dust. A friend of mine installed chrome extension pointed down on his front engined 8.1 and kicked up a dust storm. He had to take them off and point them to the rear.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Comp-time,
I agree with your observations 100%. Again I am not bashing but passing on my observations. I understand that what I like someone else will hate and vice versa.

I also dislike having the microwave mounted under the stove and the stove burners stick up above the ajoining counter so you can't put a cover down over the stove to gain additional counter space. Another "little" thing that I felt that I really disliked was that the pad for the leveler control is located by the door, not on the dash. That seemed like it wouldn't be too handy to use....I like as much in one place as is possible.

Just my 2 cents worth, again my intent was not to discount what others might find "perfect".

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by comp-time:
When we were shopping for our new motorhome, we looked at the Destination but chose the adventurer instead. Our first impression of the interior of the Destination compared to the Adventurer was that the Destination looked cheap on the inside. It may just be us but we noticed that the windows did not have the side valances, the bedroom seemed very plane, and the dinette looked like it came out of a cheap trailer. We did not like the convection microwave below the stove and did not feel it had the same storage in the cabinets. I guess we are old school not caring much for the rounded cabinets. I think the concept of the UFO motorhome is great but Winnebago needs to do a little bit better on the appointment to the inside. Also noticed it had wheel covers rather than the Alcoa aluminum wheels. Just seemed like a very entry level coach to us. We saw a Journey 36SG DP for about the same price which would have been a better buy in our opinion. Do not mean to offend anyone, just offering an opinion. Different strokes for different folks makes the world go round and nothing wrong with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finhawk:
I may be nuts but I like my 2000 Adventurer more than that Destination. One thing is the shower in mine is twice the size and a few other things like under the seats in the dining area----no drawers, just a big compartment that you have to lift the seat to get to. Mine has drawers there. I think for the price, I'll keep mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am as crazy as you are so I agree, I like my 35U better also. A Tour 40TD might tempt me if the price was right but the Destinations 50s/60s style PlyCraft inspired interior with IronGiant front end really does nothing for me.

For those of us that like the 35U the 35L is the closest thing and I you don't take the king bed option you can put in a washing machine however the 35L sacrifices the fold down table behind the copilots seat.

We can also get into the tight spots with our Class C friends that would be impossible with the longer coaches.

I think I will hang onto mine a while longer also. Maybe somethng will reach out and grab me at the 2009 Super Show. ;&gt;
Old 01-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Gee....
I guess I am not alone. The 35U is my first MH but looking at the various rigs at the RV shows I cant seem to find anything that has the same features. The only thing that mite be a negative is the minimum amount of threads on the triton V10. We love the size as and the capacities for propane and water.I wish it had a bit more power but for what I paid for it I can live with it. The previous owners prolly got the issues, if any, resolved before I came along. I will be taking it in very soon to have a lot of preventetavi maintenance done before the season starts and thereby hope to avoid suprises during the season.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I agree that the Tour is comparable to the Adventurer. That is the only new one I would consider trading for. But then why waste the money just for something newer?