Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2007 Winnebago Journey C7 CAT Diesel temp gauge

For this type of RV and diesel engine....is it normal for temperature gauge to run at the approx. halfway mark, even when the vehicle has been on the road for some time (long trips). It has been this way for a few years. Just curious if this is normal (i.e. no fluctuation in temperature on long trips). Mechanic (recent visit) stated I need to keep an eye on this...as far as the gauge not showing any fluctuation (always at halfway point).

question from the backroads of Elizabeth CO
rlposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My temp gage normally points to the "N" in normal. When I hit the hills it rises, in fact this last two legs showed me that I need to clean the rad and cac when I get home as I go to 122*F at the top of the 8800' pass at Yellowstone NP east enterencs to the park.

If you have trip tech that shows up in the rear view camera screen you can read the exact temp. Also in the vehicle info center also has the ability to display an analog temp gage so you can compare the two displays.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlposey View Post
For this type of RV and diesel engine....is it normal for temperature gauge to run at the approx. halfway mark, even when the vehicle has been on the road for some time (long trips). It has been this way for a few years. Just curious if this is normal (i.e. no fluctuation in temperature on long trips). Mechanic (recent visit) stated I need to keep an eye on this...as far as the gauge not showing any fluctuation (always at halfway point).

question from the backroads of Elizabeth CO
rip,
Well, it depends on a couple of things here. One, how the sending unit and, gauge were calibrated. If, they were calibrated to read high, then, your engine is operating at normal and, you're reading it for that. But, it's possible that it could be running hot.

But, you say it's been operating like this for years. How does it do on long grades, especially if the outside temp hovers around 100 or so? Does it stay the same? Are you towing anything? And, as cappie stated, your Medallion Information Center will also allow you to see the analog temp in degrees. I have the Trip-Tek info system that is overlaid on my monitor and, it reads the same exact temps as my Medallion does. So, I've got three places I can view my operation temps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

An '07 Journey has the round dash gauge with needle and the computer readout in the LCBU or is it LBCU. I keep my electronic readouts for engine and transmission temps and turbo boost visible at all times while driving. How does your electronic readout compare with the round dash gauge?
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

So what is your engine temperature and where is that in relation to your gauge?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine reads 192* as a norm.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
Mine reads 192* as a norm.
Mine too. Which translates into a little left of straight vertical on gauge.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am looking at a 2007 Winnebago Journey 34H with the Cat Diesel. It has less than 16000 miles and it is a one owner. Have these units been good coaches. Thank you for your help.
Piddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

cat diesel

It has been a very good engine,just keep up with maintance,gets very good milage for a diesel. mine is on a freightliner chassis....
rlposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
My temp gage normally points to the "N" in normal. When I hit the hills it rises, in fact this last two legs showed me that I need to clean the rad and cac when I get home as I go to 122*F at the top of the 8800' pass at Yellowstone NP east enterencs to the park.

If you have trip tech that shows up in the rear view camera screen you can read the exact temp. Also in the vehicle info center also has the ability to display an analog temp gage so you can compare the two displays.

Hope this helps.
This being an older thread, don't know if this will post . Earl thanks for sharing the info about the monitor. I read the manual ,upon buying unit, but will go out and reread. On my 06 Meridian the Trip advisor screen is located way down on right and ( for me anyway ), almost impossible to read going down road. If I can direct info to the backup screen that will really help. Also my temp always reads between 1/4 and normal even going through same mtns. you mentioned.
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Capnj, I'd say your radiator and cac cooler are really clean.

I see I miss wrote the peek temp, it was 222* not 122. Mine needs a little more cleaning which it will get now that I'm home.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Capnj, I'd say your radiator and cac cooler are really clean.

I see I miss wrote the peek temp, it was 222* not 122. Mine needs a little more cleaning which it will get now that I'm home.
Yes , I didn't mention that PO had evidently replaced radiator before I purchased unit about a year ago. It is very clean. Upon looking at manuals I notice I don't have the optional trip tek. Oh well I'll just keep my little flashlight handy
Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnj View Post
... Upon looking at manuals I notice I don't have the optional trip tek. Oh well I'll just keep my little flashlight handy
You could always get the updated info center display with much improved readability so you won't need the flashlight . See this earlier thread: Who's the most recent to purchase a new Medallion Info Center?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We just completed a 10,741 mi. trip and we had overheating problems on the hills despite my cleaning my radiator and CAC twice on the road. I made an access hole in the top of the fan shroud so I can really get down in there with the cleaner and hose sprayer. The problem was: The water pump v-belt was not tight enough. I checked the deflection of the belt and it didn't seem excessive. I called my FL guy in Sacramento and he told me the amount of deflection is not a good reference but to check the adjustment pulley and see if I could turn it by hand. Well, I could turn it with one finger from underneath. So once I re tightened the pulley, everything was fine.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ditto on the hole in the top of the shroud. I'll have to check the belt and this time I'll make it a point to clean both sides of the fan blades. l think I'll also change out the thermostats.

I have installed a breather catch jar but I think I might change and install an extension tube to the back bumper and dump there.

Rear radiator, will always need periodic cleaning, but on this last trip I talked to a couple side radiator owners who say they too periodically clean their rads due to dirt accumulation. I guess it's not just our problem!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
You could always get the updated info center display with much improved readability so you won't need the flashlight . See this earlier thread: Who's the most recent to purchase a new Medallion Info Center?
Thank you for the link Chris. I continue to be amazed of all the info on this website , if you know where to look.

Tags
cat, cat diesel, diesel, journey, winnebago