Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2007 Sunova 35J Slide-Out HELP!

Hi Folks:

I got a 2007 Sunova 35J as a Christmas gift for me and my family. I bought it via eBay and flew with my father to Houston to pick it up. When I arrived, the owner told me that a board fried that controls the slide-out (living room). He showed me the board which he had removed and clearly there was a chip where the pins were melted/burned. He promised to pay for the repair. We are back in Tucson and took the RV to Lance's RV. Today they called me and said they could not diagnose anything without that board replaced. The price was a salty $375 for the part + $30 shipping and it would take 3-4 weeks!!!!!

Does this sound right? This is just a small circuit board, I cannot believe the price (without labor) and why would it take a month to get it in? Are they hand-built at a monastery in Mongolia?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the seller wants to have this resolved. If I have to wait a month for the board, I will be on the hook if something deeper is wrong. The seller said the "button stuck in for the slide" which burned out the board. That does not make sense to me.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds about right for a board.
Sure you can get it online for cheaper, but that is driving small business OUT of business. So that's your choice.

A month? Not sure, may just be playing it safe, or it really will. Without knowing the slide out system, no real way of knowing.

Sounds like the prev owner didn't know a whole lot about his system.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sounds about right for a board.
Sure you can get it online for cheaper, but that is driving small business OUT of business. So that's your choice.

A month? Not sure, may just be playing it safe, or it really will. Without knowing the slide out system, no real way of knowing.

Sounds like the prev owner didn't know a whole lot about his system.
Thanks - I would not worry about driving these guys out of business. Seems they have too much business!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Thanks - I would not worry about driving these guys out of business. Seems they have too much business!
Like I said, your choice. I'm on the other side of your situation, and it may seem that way, but you'd be surprised.

Anyway, depending on the slide system, the board can very well be that much. Time, if it's an older series, it's possible. It's also end of year/start of year inventory and holiday type things slowing down some.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Got it. However, my real question is whether or not this board is likely to solve the issue. Seems to me something else must have went wrong to melt the board. Is this a common problem? Thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It's possible, but I don't think it's fairly common. I haven't had a lot of those anyway.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Couldn't you swap the circuit board with the other slide to determine if there's anything else wrong?
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - switching the boards is a clever idea and I called the shop. They looked at it and apparently the boards are not the same between the two. They said that Kwickee would have to make the board BY HAND! I find this remarkable. It seems to me that either they are selling these faster than they can produce them or it is am amazingly rare event. Either way, what a bummer that a board that should cost a few dollars to build is charged as nearly $400 with a month backlog to get the part... bummer.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Thanks - switching the boards is a clever idea and I called the shop. They looked at it and apparently the boards are not the same between the two. They said that Kwickee would have to make the board BY HAND! I find this remarkable. It seems to me that either they are selling these faster than they can produce them or it is am amazingly rare event. Either way, what a bummer that a board that should cost a few dollars to build is charged as nearly $400 with a month backlog to get the part... bummer.
i read that the kwikee factory in oregon has closed or is closing.
check for a dinosaur circuit board. do a forum search.

Bank sues to take back factory | Local News | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Kwikee was purchased by Power Gear sometime ago. Their products can be seen on the PG website.
http://www.powergearus.com/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I would call power gear directly to see what your options & costs are.
You may be able to purchase it cheaper directly.
Use this to get the details of your part
System Lookup - Power Gear
good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I would take it to La Mesa there and have them fix it.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Me - I would repair the circuit board myself
Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

having worked with kwikee slides before, the price and month delivery time isnt uncommon.not fair, but not uncommon. you should look at the prices of dometic boards. they are very proud of those.
the burnt board may only be a symptom of the real problem. thats why you should diagnose and fix the real problem before attaching a new board. two fried boards are more expensive than one.there is as service manual for that.
ive worked with lances r v many times and have found them to be a competent shop with fair prices. as fair as rv shops go.
i dont think they will take advantage of you. that hasnt been my experience with them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, got the rig back yesterday. Been at the shop for about 5 weeks. They replaced the board and the slide works great. No idea, but I agree there may be something deeper. But, that's why I paid $100/hr for professional service. Let's hope. Part + labor + shipping = $630!

If anyone wants to try to fix the board themselves, I am happy to pay a fee for the repair. Having a spare would not be a bad thing, but the missing semi-conductor chip could be a challenge.

Doc

Tags
slide