Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2007 Sightseer 35J

I'm looking at a 2007 Sightseer 35J that seems to be in excellent condition with fewer than 20,000 miles. The owner says that there is some minor rust near one of the cargo doors, and I see that this has been a problem with other Sightseers in the past. My question is, is this a "fatal" problem, or isolated enough that if you sand it, prime it, and paint it you'll be able to keep it under control.

The owner is sending me pictures.

Other than this it seems to be a very well maintained coach.

The other issue is that while two tires have been replaced, four are original. The unit has been stored indoors and the tires treated annually. The owner says there are no signs of dry rot. Should I still calculate in replacing the four tires before making an offer?

Thanks!
Jeff
DunellenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Same unit as mine. Yes on the rust. It is a common problem, but not a deal killer. Mine had some rust on the compartment boxes when I got it. Not hard to resolve if just surface. Wire brush and treat with a Good rust converter. I used one from Eastwood. Got to go through them again for my edification when we return from our 6 month trip.

Tires I'm picky about. Mine was the same. Fronts were replaced before I bought it. Rears were original. Blew a rear inside dual on a trip. Replaced all 6 with new tires the next week.

We love our 35j, also a 2007. We've made quite a few customizations to it to make it ours. Been very reliable, but I'm also picky about maintenance.

Ask for maintenance records. If he has them that is a good sign.

Good Luck.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Bill

Bill
2007 Sightseer 35j
Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had a 35j before we traded it in a 35b with 2 bathrooms. Nice motorhome abd no major problems. I also had the rust issue in the compartments and i sanded and painted. Not a big deal. The only reason that i let it go was to get a motorhome with 2 bathrooms because we have 4 kids and it really makes a big difference.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks!
My wife and I are retiring this time next year, and our kids will all be off in college or on their own. We need the bunks so that they have a place to sleep when vacationing with us. Otherwise we'll use that as storage space. I hope this unit works out. But, if not, we've got plenty of time to wait for the right rig at the right price!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Let us know if it works out.

Good luck

Bill
2007 Sightseer 35j
Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Here's a quick update.
We saw the RV yesterday and it's in beautiful condition. The owners were very thorough and we took several hours inspecting every nook and cranny, and turning everything on and off. It's clear that the motorhome has been lovingly maintained.

There are no signs of water damage inside or outside the unit, and no rust anywhere on the frame. Just some cosmetic rust above the steps that should be easy to fix.

The only negative is that while we were there we discovered that water draining from the front air conditioner was running off, hitting the top of the closed awning and then dripping out of an outside light fixture a couple of feet down the body. Upon inspection I discovered that there was a slight gap between the awning mount and the frame, so it's likely that's where the water is getting behind the skin. I went back and triple checked and again there is no sign of water seepage inside that area, and no sign of delamination or softness outside. No staining whatsoever on the walls or ceiling. What we think is that because the RV has been stored in a barn, it hasn't been exposed to rain that would get in by the same route, so the leak seems to have been caught before any damage has been done. And, the owner is caulking today.

Another possible negative is that this motorhome has a two-piece windshield with a support column down the middle. It was just a bit of a surprise because the new units we've seen on lots and RV shows have had single-piece windshields. Anyone have any opinions about that?

We're studying NADA and other similar RVs for sale with the hope of making an offer this weekend.

Miles: 19K
Asking: $53,950
NADA Trade In: $40,817
NADA Low Retail: $47,778
NADA High Retail: $57,536

How much would you offer? How much would you be willing to pay?

By the way, the family plans one last vacation before delivery, so any offer will be pending reinspection.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Does he have maintenance records? I know you said it has been lovingly maintained. That would help me make a decision. If so or not, if you like it and feel like its the right one for you, i would offer $42000 and work from there. I wish the best for you
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The 2 piece windshield is not an issue for my wife and I. Hasn't had any impact on our enjoyment. I'll agree with Motohomo on price. I purchased mine with about the same mileage 6 years ago and got it just over the price he is asking. 42,000 is a good starting point. Mine was a bank sale, had been taken care of, had all manuals and service records.

Enjoy no matter which way and good luck. Safe travels.

Bill
2007 Sightseer 35j

Tags
sightseer