Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2007 Journey Floor Upgrade

I am looking for anyone that has done a plank flooring install in their coach. I have a 2007 Journey with the factory short shag on the floor. What i want to do is remove the carpet in the front area and replace it with a luxury vinyl floor. Anyone that has any experience doing this type of job please share any pointers and lessons learned. My biggest concerns are clearence for the operation of the slides and if its a floating floor will it stay in place without fastening it down. Thank you for any help as im real tired of stepping on and picking sand burrs out of the carpet.
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are just completing an extensive renovation of our 34SE to include replacing original decals with full body paint, removed banquet booth and replaced with what the original brochure called a dining/computer table and two chairs and, to your point, new floor covering stem to stern. Never understood the logic of carpet and RVs.

We went with Armstrong vinyl 24" x 12" self adhesive tiles in a stone pattern laid staggered to give a more random look. Removing the old carpet in the bedroom and front room and the cockpit is dirty work but relatively easy since it is simply stapled to the subfloor. The hard part is getting the foam padding up as it is glued to the subfloor. The carpet is also glued to the metal floor in the cockpit area also, but is easier to pull up than the foam padding. Once that is all done, we ensured all staples were removed, removed the carpet nailer strips, filled voids in the plywood and sealed the plywood subfloor.

We started tiling at the rear wall of the bedroom, working forward. Being belt and suspenders types, although the tiles were self stick, we also applied a THIN coat of tile cement to the sealed subfloor. When we reached the original vinyl tile in the bath area, we removed just enough of the old tile to allow installation of a few new tiles, then repeated that through the kitchen/dining area until we reached the old carpeted front room area. We did not apply tile cement where the original tiles were as their removal left a residue that we felt sufficed.

The cockpit area metal floor was too uneven to lay tile directly to it, so we removed the captain and navigator seats and the lower dashboard skirts, then using self tapping screws and a lot of care screwed down a 3/8" thick plywood subfloor. We sealed that, applied a THIN coat of tile cement and tiled it. Given you have to work around the fuel pedal, brake pedal, removing the lower dash skirts, etc. this part was an adventure. Depending on your point of view, you now have an elevated (by 3/8") cockpit, or a sunken front room. Your local hardware store has carpet transition pieces that work beautifully here.

Lessons learned: the final product exceeds our expectations! (here comes the but monkey)
But, wish we had not removed the carpet nailing strips beneath the slideouts. You need to fully extend the slide outs to remove the carpet and install the tile. With the slide outs extended you can reach all but about 3 or 4 inches of the floor. Tile cement never really "dries". Given foot pressure, tiles will slip sideways. Not a problem next to walls, but in a MH they will tend to gravitate out underneath the slides. Leaving the nailing strips would have equated to a wall to stop that movement. In our case, we used unobstrusive staples in the tiles nearest the slides.

How long does it take? Well, we had already sent the rest easy sofa out to be re upholstered, and had removed the banquet, and donated the euro recliner. So we were clean inside. Took about 45 minutes to remove the old carpet, about three hours to remove the padding and about four hours to prepare the cockpit. About 1/2 hour to seal all the raw plywood and then knocked off for the day. Day two, almost completed all the new installation, but after nine hours that area around the captain's chair was causing me to pull out the last of the hair I have left with color. Knocked off in frustration. Day three, finished the captain's area in about two hours including replacing the lower dash skirts.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I know itll be a major project thanks for the advice happy motoring.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Let me know how it goes, planning to change carpet to wood plank in our 01 Journey. Replaced carpet about 7 years ago and used a tile similar in the kitchen and bath. Tired of carpet!
Macland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ill post the results and lessons learned im just doing some before hand project research at this point i know the end result that i want just gotta get there.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Can we see some pictures of the finished project for insentive ?
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Im looking at probably at least 1 year before project kick off but will post pics during after when complete
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sign me up for pix too

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My wife and i went to a RV show the other day and every new Winn we saw had LVT flooring in the main traffic area and carpet on the slide floor im thinking thats the way ill gi when the time comes. Gonna press that Easy button.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Great job, Terry! I was halfway through reading this post, when I said this sounds like Terry C project. And sure as toast, it is! Since I heard your description of this project, I set out to do some of the same while in FL. I have removed the dinette and the euro chair/ottoman. Then moved the couch from passenger side to drivers to replace the dinette. Now shopping for table and chairs along with a new recliner. Your post is very helpful as I will now be removing the carpet from the slide and cockpit area. The bedroom will come later. Again, good job describing your project. I'll be in touch soon. E Lee
eleefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Finished (for now) project! Next year bath room😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF48461C-D462-417E-AD8E-3521D6A83B10.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	169368   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4CF3415-5405-4C39-B5BF-6BDFF2F58C2F.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	169369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15C41D1E-F890-4A64-A55D-9E2889CFFCA6.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	169370   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8DB72DD-4D2D-4146-8AD2-6924B952DB7A.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	169371  

Old 04-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Did you replace the carpet on the slide outs also
Old 04-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

No, decided the carpet at the flush joint made a good seal and since it is only seen between the sofa and booth and under the booth. Left it under driver and passenger seats as well. I go barefoot most of the time and prefer it. We also have a mat that is cut and bound that covers the entry area that offers protection at the top of the stairs
Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Great looking project im looking at lvg the carpet on the slides,drivers area,step cover and bedroom for the same reasons what flooring product did you use
Old 04-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We used pergo, not my first choice but I have not used or experienced it in probably 20 years. This version had a thin pad on each plank and snapped together well. I trimmed it with oak originally but ended up changing to a low profile metal transition where the slide is due to clearance issue. Again, you only see the metal under booth and between booth and sofa.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the compliment. I’m retired and pretty anal about projects now that I have the time ����

Tags
journey, upgrade