Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2007 adventurer 38T

Hello: I am interested in the 38T and would like to know if there are any issues
like being underpowered and if the 6 speed allison is good enough. I think this model has the bosch brakes but not sure. Would appreciate any comments re this particular model good or bad.
Thanks, Johnlit
Johnlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

We had the Suncruiser 38T which is the same rig except with the Itasca Brand. The brake recall was corrected before 2007 so ours had the corrected components on it. Ours only seemed underpowered with the tow vehicle on back and running grades like the hills of Pennsylvania. It was also somewhat noisy with the engine in front and warmer.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlit View Post
Hello: I am interested in the 38T and would like to know if there are any issues
like being underpowered and if the 6 speed allison is good enough. I think this model has the bosch brakes but not sure. Would appreciate any comments re this particular model good or bad.
Thanks, Johnlit
The coach you are looking at has the W-24 chassis which does not have the recalled Bosch brakes. There are NO recalls on that specific chassis. The 38T is one of the largest gassers built by WBGO, and the Adventurer / Suncruiser twins are the top of their line gassers. Make sure you are comfortable with the basement A/C unit's ability to keep the large interior cool if you plan to be in hot areas.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We love the open layout and high ceiling in our 38T. When we tow a 2001 Chevy Tracker (4 Dr.) we definitely slowdown on the steeper grades. I am considering the addition of Banks intake and exhaust systems for that reason.
You have to drive this beast all the time. Side winds and road unevenness makes the tail move around. A Trak Bar would be a good thing to add.
I'm sure you've checked date codes on all tires and inspected for sidewall cracking--it could be an expense to replace them.
Eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Have had this new unit since 2008. Had minor issues at first, but nothing of major concern. This is a Workhorse chassis with Chev engine. Under floor Heat Pump is excellent. 4 door ref. is great. Did not get the washing machine, and use that area for kitchen stuff storage. Gas consumption is about 8 mpg average. Flat roads I get about 9-10 mpg. Wife enjoys the counter space. Recently replaced a hyd hose on the rh slide, and the slide latch/lock has a failed motor. Have to replace this. I did have the large mirror on the back wall to come apart and fall to the floor. The clips were at the top of the mirror frame and the bottom of the frame let go. Replaced under warranty with 2 clips top and 2 on bottom.
busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had a Suncruiser 37B (37'11") we crossed the USA 6 times (63,000+miles) while towing a Colorado crew 4x4. Sure it slowed down climbing giant mountains but so does our diesel. It was a very good motor home.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have you by any chance looked at the 38J, made 2005 thru 2008? We like the floor plan much better.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Like jerboy we have the 38J and are full timers. The third slide does make a huge difference. The trade off for power (high HP pusher) is $$$$$, both in initial cost and maintenance. Yes, you are gonna slow down, but since we are retired, it doesn't matter. The Allison 6 speed is nearly bomb proof and is the best on the road.

If you look at a 38J, be certain that the mod has been done to the kitchen slide out and check the window seals on the full length passenger side windows. If they are leaking (fogged up) the cost to replace is high. If you catch them early, there are a few places who will remove and reseal them at a reasonable cost.

The basement air works fine, unless it's loosing air in the duct work behind the back cap. I recently started a thread on a cheap way to fix that issue (if it ever occurs).

Remember, unless you are planning to constantly drive up and down the highway, you are parked "somewhere" the majority of the time. These are top end coaches from a living standpoint. Happy motoring with whatever you decide.
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

MTNMIKE, not sure what mod on the Kit. slide you refer to.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Anybody else know what modification MTMIKE is referring to?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well........Steve, Winnebago service rep, says there is a reinforcement of the timing bar that was developed to help raise the aft end of the kitchen slide. This could be used after all other efforts to raise it by adjustment and replacement of the ram pads. My slide is drooping aft but I have still to do the adjustments and replace pads. Apparently the weight of the kitchen end is too much for the slide floor. Guess I will find out.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Well........Steve, Winnebago service rep, says there is a reinforcement of the timing bar that was developed to help raise the aft end of the kitchen slide. This could be used after all other efforts to raise it by adjustment and replacement of the ram pads. My slide is drooping aft but I have still to do the adjustments and replace pads. Apparently the weight of the kitchen end is too much for the slide floor. Guess I will find out.
We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38 J and have the same problem. if you wait too long to replace the plastic pads that the slide rides on, and the slide droops down too far, the floor can catch, and damage the slide mechanism to the tune of $800.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38 J and have the same problem. if you wait too long to replace the plastic pads that the slide rides on, and the slide droops down too far, the floor can catch, and damage the slide mechanism to the tune of $800.
Guess I better get on the stick. THANKS
Old 08-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

jerboy, So sorry, we have just returned from where cell signals don't travel. You uncovered the correct modification, a reinforcement bar on the kitchen slide. The kitchen end of the slide is very heavy (as you know) and tends to sag down making both opening and closing a nerve wrecking situation.

The first indication was the slide coming in very slowly in the initial few seconds as if in a bind (which it was) and the kitchen end trailing the forward end, twisting the slide. Going out, it would get to the leveling step, hang up momentarily, and then release with a boom as it dropped into place. No fun there.

Some won't experience the problem due to minimal use, but we do a lot of traveling and the slides are opened and closed often. The bar did the trick along with new glide pads.
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks MTMIKE for the reply. I have a pad kit ordered.. Any further detail on the reinforcing bar would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are worth---well you know the story.

Oh BTW, I would love to find a place where the cell signal does not go!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Have a 38T for 9 years now, 45,000 miles, 5,000 miles per year. Been a good unit. Minor hydro issue with the slides when new. All addressed under warranty. I have put in many upgrades. Flat screen TV, front & back. Residential refer. Built in surge protector. New converter. Safety T Steer. Anti Sway bar. New tires. AGM house batteries.
I do not consider it under powered. Transmission is a good unit. Unit does slow, gear down an slow down on MAJOR grades. Remember your pushing 24,000 pounds, plus a tow vehicle. But still can pass the loaded simi-trucks with ease!
I might do a Banks system, but $$ to improvement would need to be considered.
I plan on keeping this till I can no longer use it or drive.
Great floor plan, lots of room and kitchen counter space.
Hope this helps. PM me if your serious an need more advice. Glad to help you!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Have a 38T for 9 years now, 45,000 miles, 5,000 miles per year. Been a good unit. Minor hydro issue with the slides when new. All addressed under warranty. I have put in many upgrades. Flat screen TV, front & back. Residential refer. Built in surge protector. New converter. Safety T Steer. Anti Sway bar. New tires. AGM house batteries.
I do not consider it under powered. Transmission is a good unit. Unit does slow, gear down an slow down on MAJOR grades. Remember your pushing 24,000 pounds, plus a tow vehicle. But still can pass the loaded simi-trucks with ease!
I might do a Banks system, but $$ to improvement would need to be considered.
I plan on keeping this till I can no longer use it or drive.
Great floor plan, lots of room and kitchen counter space.
Hope this helps. PM me if your serious an need more advice. Glad to help you!

You couldn't ask for a better review than that!! Always fun to see someone really satisfied with their coach.

Tags
vent