Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
We did a search looking to see what folks had to say regarding the new and, we think, revolutionary 40TD floorplan that's supposed to be available in November for the 2007 Tour/Elipse and Vectra/Horizon. We were surprised to find nothing had been posted yet. So we'll start it off.

Lifted directly from Winnie's web site for the 2007 Horizon:

The things we think are significant are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Galley/fridge are in front and living/etertainment area is mid-coach. Seems to be intended for those with active outside lifestyles.
<LI>LCD TV's in both living area and bedroom.
<LI>Two large slidenouts. Although not deep the rear slide has got to be 20 feet long (i.e. half the length of the coach).
<LI>The curved, disappearing hallway adjacent to the bathroom is very unique.
<LI>Walk-through bathroom
<LI>Checking the specs...they finally got the holding tanks right!! Black is 52 gallons and grey is 86 gallons.

<LI>Overall design seems to indicate a more symertical distribution of weight (Vicki noticed this immediately even before Jon did).[/list]The galley/living area arrangement would make sense for us if we were to graduate to a larger rig (i.e. full timing). The one downside we see is the diminished value/usefullness of the driver and co-pilot seats swiveling around to be used as additional house seating.

Comments anyone?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We did a search looking to see what folks had to say regarding the new and, we think, revolutionary 40TD floorplan that's supposed to be available in November for the 2007 Tour/Elipse and Vectra/Horizon. We were surprised to find nothing had been posted yet. So we'll start it off.

Lifted directly from Winnie's web site for the 2007 Horizon:

The things we think are significant are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Galley/fridge are in front and living/etertainment area is mid-coach. Seems to be intended for those with active outside lifestyles.
<LI>LCD TV's in both living area and bedroom.
<LI>Two large slidenouts. Although not deep the rear slide has got to be 20 feet long (i.e. half the length of the coach).
<LI>The curved, disappearing hallway adjacent to the bathroom is very unique.
<LI>Walk-through bathroom
<LI>Checking the specs...they finally got the holding tanks right!! Black is 52 gallons and grey is 86 gallons.

<LI>Overall design seems to indicate a more symertical distribution of weight (Vicki noticed this immediately even before Jon did).[/list]The galley/living area arrangement would make sense for us if we were to graduate to a larger rig (i.e. full timing). The one downside we see is the diminished value/usefullness of the driver and co-pilot seats swiveling around to be used as additional house seating.

Comments anyone?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer has a very similar plan currently available.
TV viewing an issue from the sofa bed?
Also noted the limitation of the two front seats.
Any pass through storage?

I'll stick with the "KD" floorplan as my choice.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'd sacrifice some bathroom space to get the king bed option (72 wide x 80 long) like the 40KD. Also, where's the big 20' awning located to cover the campsite picnic table?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This should satisfy the folks that complained about having to carry groceries through the coach to get to the frige.

You can always use the Captains chairs (driver and passenger)to watch the cook.

Looks like it might work well for full timers. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Nice to see the folks at Winnebago Industries doing their best to offer different floorplans throughout their line....This has been a plan exclusive to their gas coaches,nice to see it come over....

Now how about that Spartan K2 with a tag and a few more feet!!

(I know that's not Winnebago's bread and butter...just kidding!!)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We looked at this floorplan in the Adventurer in Sept of 2005 at the Pennsylvania Hershey RV Show.

It's innovative and has many possiblities but with the living room area being in the middle of the coach it was extremely dark during the day. You don't get much light from the windsheild into the living room because of the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets blocking the light.

Also, it's impossible to watch the TV from the coach adjacent to the TV.

With the rear slid in you have to go through the bathroom to get to the bedroom.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tom answered one of my questions...does the hallway go away when the slide is closed?

Don't get me wrong here, folks, I like my Winnebago. However, I'd be concerned about structural integrity of the coach with those two huge slides. Now, if this was one of the higher end coach manufacturers, I'd say it might work. Does Winne increase the steel in the roof and the walls around the slides?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think it has some great features. It will probably come with one of those automatic awnings that go out straight and aren't adjustable. That is the one feature on all the new coaches that I do not like...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yes, the hallway is gone with the rear slide retracted.

Reminds me of a motorhome my cousin designed and built. The bathroom was located directly behind the driver/passenger area and you had to go through the shower to get into the living area. He had a shower with a shower curtain on both sides....... He built 10 or 12 motorhomes and all had crazy floor plans but going through the shower was one of the strangest!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
I'd sacrifice some bathroom space to get the king bed option (72 wide x 80 long) like the 40KD. Also, where's the big 20' awning located to cover the campsite picnic table?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question. The specs say it has a 20 foot awning so I'm guessing it has to be on the back half over the slideout (straight out automatic type as Captain Bud alluded too). Kind of funky.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RMM:
Adventurer has a very similar plan currently available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 38T floorplan works a little better because the gasser's door is mid-coach.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The awning is directly behind the door awning and is mounted on the coach. All Winnebagos have the patio awning located here. The slide extends under the awning.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
cwg
Winnebago Camper

I have seen this floorplan in the Vectra prototype, and I like it very well. I love not having carpet immediately after entering the front of the coach (front kitchen and all tile). Best of all are the home theater seats with a storage area between them. The curved radius walls of the backside of the bathroom remind me of the Prevost conversions and high-line walls. It supposedly has more interior storage space than any other 40 foot rig on the market.

The only downside I saw was that it was not available with a king bed which is an omission, but I still plan to order one as soon as I sell my 04 40AD Horizon. Come see it at the GNR and let's talk.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

The floorplan is a nice change, but still lacks thought. When driving, no one other than the passenger, can sit and talk to the driver which is a nice feature of both the KD and FD. I would hate to see what room is left in front of the bathroom door when the sofa sleeper is extended. I'm not sure the bathroom door can be opened when the sleeper is extended. When going down the road, you'll notice the sofa/sleeper will come directly in line with the door. I'd hate to be sitting there getting my knees knocked around by someone needing to use the bathroom. Don't know why they didn't use a pocket door here. There will be VERY little passage room to get by when the sleeper and sofabed (assume a jack knife of some sort) are extended together. Still, a good solution for extra sleeping needs. The dresser in the hallway is confusing. It would make sense if the bedroom pocket door was placed on the other side the dresser area making the dresser part of the bedroom, but it doesn't so the bedroom effectively has no dresser. It does contain a window bench, but every coach owner I know never uses it other than to put their shoes on. I do like the new bathroom with a larger sink top and angled toilet. Unfortunately, with the extra room, they still left in the smaller shower which I think could have been expanded easily. I also agree there could have been another arrangement that would have allowed for a king bed. I would have placed the short couch on the other side and moved the bathroom over about 6 to 8 inches which would have been enough to get a king bed in there. Right now, the short couch can't see the TV anyway (at least comfortably). Maybe move the TV to a swing out on the side of the pantry. At least it would be visible by all. The kitchen looks pretty small too. It's bad when you need a flip up shelf because of the lack of counter space. And why aren't BOTH slides deep ones? It would interfere with the awning angles I know, but just attach the patio awning to the slide to solve that problem. Or here's an idea, include another patio awning from the slide to the door as well as a patio awning similar to the set of Girards you see on the high end rigs (I know, coach length awnings are a dream, but here's to dreaming).

On the limited specs, it looks the same as the others. I do like the larger grey tank too. The REDUCED the already limited storage capacity which is another bullet they'll have to dodge. This one would be impossible to get a full passthrough slide into it, unless they did away with the storemore system on one side. That would be a great option if possible. Curbside storemore WITH a couple of bins that passed through. One can only dream!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The awning is directly behind the door awning and is mounted on the coach. All Winnebagos have the patio awning located here. The slide extends under the awning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is true for every other Winnie I know of too. But in this case the slidenout is near 20 feet long and by simple deduction there is no more than about 16 feet from the rear of the front door to the slideout. The specs say a 20 foot awning. So either it's 16 feet and the specs are incorrect (entirely likely) or it's in a different location.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

OH, I understand, the rear arm would not be able to attach to the coach in front and the slide in the rear. The awning would have to be attached towards the rear of the coach.

The gas 38T has the entrance door in the middle of the coach, thus the awning can be attached to the coach on either side of the slide and be over the door.