Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2006 Workhorse Winnebago Adventurer 33v

Looking for input. We have a 2006 Adventurer 33v. Cherolet engine. 31000 miles. The front rides rough to point of shaking/ beating entire camper. The shocks look relatively new. The frame is sitting on what appears to be rubber coil bump stops. No room for chassis travel before contact. Is this normal or is something not right?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoot104 View Post
Looking for input. We have a 2006 Adventurer 33v. Cherolet engine. 31000 miles. The front rides rough to point of shaking/ beating entire camper. The shocks look relatively new. The frame is sitting on what appears to be rubber coil bump stops. No room for chassis travel before contact. Is this normal or is something not right?
Hi Hotfoot - welcome to the forum.com!

You're probably on a Workhorse chassis - I suggest you visit the Workhorse forum here and read the many posts on modifications and ride enhancements. We previously had an RV on a 2008 Workhorse 22K chassis, and found great ride improvement from replacement the original shocks with Koni FSD shocks, and installing both front and rear anti-sway bars, and a safe-T-steer. We still knew that we were essentially driving a box truck but at least it was tolerable for longer drives.

We didn't try them, but some also swear by the Sumo spring system, or even installing an entire airbag system on their gas RV. Good luck and enjoy your RV!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Is the sixth number of your chassis vin number a "6" or is it a "3" or a "5" ???? That will tell us which chassis you have and improve the chance of giving you good advice.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

It is the number 6
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoot104 View Post
It is the number 6
OK. Thanks. That number is code for the W series chassis, and yours is likely to be a W-20 (depending on GVWR) but that really does not matter since ALL the W-series chassis use a solid front axle, unlike the P-32 which used IFS and air bags inside coil springs.

To answer your original concern, those round hard rubber things are simple "bump stops" and it isn't unusual for them to be touching the top of the spring pack if the front end is heavily loaded. IMO, they don't really do much to "soften" the ride, and they are certainly NOT as cushy as an air bag would be.

It is possible that your springs have become weakened over time, especially if overloaded. It is also possible that your harsh ride is caused by too much air pressure in the tires. Have you actually weighed the coach and checked the tire pressure charts for the minimum required pressure to support the actual weight? If not, that is where I would start before throwing a lot of $$ at finding a softer ride.

As others posted, the Sumo springs are generally considered a relatively inexpensive fix for hard ride, but I think they cost a few hundred bucks installed. You put the sumo's in place of the hard rubber bump stops. Replacing the shocks with Koni FSD may also improve your experience, but they will cost you closer to $500.00 installed. Last resort would be to find a spring shop to replace or beef up the leaf springs themselves, but you need to keep in mind you are not riding on an air suspension, except for the air in the tires, and that is why I suggest you start there.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find some improvement
Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2006 Workhorse Chassis (22K) with the Chevy 8.1 liter engine. I added Sumo Springs and it helped with porposing and side sway. Some help on ride quality. It tied the coach to the chassis in a way that made you feel like you had more control of the coach.
MaggieMay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I spoke to a Workhorse rep at the Hershey PA show one year.
Mentioned a tendency of my W-20 chassis / Adventurer 31Y to rock or sway what seemed like excessively undere some conditions.
He suggested I check when fully loaded to see if the frame was in contact with those rubber "cushions". I thought they were stops and should normally be space but he said they will give when roll forces applied and that they should be touching when RV is fully loaded.

Instead of travelling w/ full tanks to increase loads I simply added a spacer block and it seemed to improve the ride.

Don
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago, workhorse