Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2006 Sightseer - Dash Squeak/Chirp?

Well, this week we had to take a quick trip up to Henryetta OK for a business meeting. Just an overnighter, but fun nonetheless. Our route took us up over U.S. Hwy 75 from Atoka into Henryetta. What a bad road. We've always had a sort of "chirp" type squeak when we hit larger bumps. This stretch of road made it so that even the expansion joints caused that loud chirping squeak.

With my poor hearing (6 years in the engine room, no hearing protection - U.S. Navy) I always though that it was the TV mount above our heads. I had always vowed to go in there and tighten every bolt and screw I could find. Well, my wife said that no, she thought it was the dash, where the two layers met up near the windshield. I encouraged her to press around and see if she could make it stop. Well, as it turned out, it was the lower dash, just below where the two rectangular AC ducts come out, right above the doghouse. When she pressed in there, the chirping squeak stopped. We rode for a while with her pressing in with her foot, and then we wedged a plastic sewing box she had in between the cup holder riser on the doghouse and the dash. Ahhh peaceful bliss ensued.

My plan was to drill some holes and use tan colored screws to hold it together and stop the chirp. The DW vetoed that idea out of fear of stress cracks perpetuating up into the main part of the dash. My only solution for now is forcing thin wooden wedges up under the lip to keep it from making contact.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so - how did you fix it?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Well, this week we had to take a quick trip up to Henryetta OK for a business meeting. Just an overnighter, but fun nonetheless. Our route took us up over U.S. Hwy 75 from Atoka into Henryetta. What a bad road. We've always had a sort of "chirp" type squeak when we hit larger bumps. This stretch of road made it so that even the expansion joints caused that loud chirping squeak.
With my poor hearing (6 years in the engine room, no hearing protection - U.S. Navy) I always though that it was the TV mount above our heads. I had always vowed to go in there and tighten every bolt and screw I could find. Well, my wife said that no, she thought it was the dash, where the two layers met up near the windshield. I encouraged her to press around and see if she could make it stop. Well, as it turned out, it was the lower dash, just below where the two rectangular AC ducts come out, right above the doghouse. When she pressed in there, the chirping squeak stopped. We rode for a while with her pressing in with her foot, and then we wedged a plastic sewing box she had in between the cup holder riser on the doghouse and the dash. Ahhh peaceful bliss ensued.

My plan was to drill some holes and use tan colored screws to hold it together and stop the chirp. The DW vetoed that idea out of fear of stress cracks perpetuating up into the main part of the dash. My only solution for now is forcing thin wooden wedges up under the lip to keep it from making contact.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so - how did you fix it?

I know this isn't the same as your "chirp", but I had a persistent rattle in the dash of my Minnie Winnie. After partially disassembling the dash for another project, I poked around for anything that might cause a rattle and found a couple possible sources: part of a wiring harness and a hard plastic connector, both loose and next to steel support brackets. I cut a couple small pieces of foam pipe insulation and immobilized the two items. I'm happy to report there have no rattles since!

Tags
dash, sightseer