Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
2006 Journey 39K - Exhaust Odor in Coach

We just completed a 4800 mile trip, and we are experiencing the odor of diesel exhaust in the coach. The generator is not running. The odor is stronger in the back - naturally. It is worse when a driver or passenger window is open, so it is being dragged forward.

I recently had the valve lash adjusted, but I looked at the two engine access hatches from under the coach, and they both looked in place. I also looked at the duct for the heat pump, and I cannot see any breaches in it. I blocked the air intake vent inside the coach under the washer/dryer, and there wasn't any difference in the intensity of the odor.

I will recheck the two engine access covers from inside the coach to see if one of them is loose and being sucked up by air flow that could allow exhaust to enter the coach.

The CO detector in the bedroom does not go off, and I just changed the battery.

Anyone have any ideas. I did a search on this forum for this problem, but couldn't come up with anything except the one on the muffler an the electrical hookup comaprmtent. Mine is OK.

Appreciate any input.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

exh. smell

Hello, Take the cover off from under the bed and start the engine. Look for a leak in the exhaust system after the turbo. A small leak at any of the clamps could make a big smell in coach. Don
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I believe Don has it. I had the same problem with our Journey several years ago. The CO detector never went off but we would often get an exhaust smell in the back of the coach when underway. I finally checked the big clamp that connects a flex steel pipe to the exhaust port on the turbocharger....bingo! The clamp had failed on the underside so you could not see the damage from the top. Replaced the flex pipe and both of the cheapo OEM clamps with good stainless clamps. Problem solved.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Also, there are three access panels in the bedroom and all three were opened when I had the lash done. The one under the bed as mentioned earlier, one under the top step in from of the closet, and one under the left side closet floor. Might be more, but these are the ones I have used so far.
Good luck.

Bill
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian 36G that has had an exhaust odor since new in the back that eventually will work to the front of the coach where we are. I had it to a FL,Cat dealer twice within 6 months of purchase where they replaced two of the flex exhaust hoses and used new clamps on each one, then took it to a Winnebago dealer who found no problems, had the fire department come out to the house with their sensors and found no source of a leak into the coach, had the coach to Forest City twice for other reasons but had them check for exhaust leaks both times, and have tried to seal any and every little crack or opening I could find.

It seems to be worse during a slow hard pull up a mountain pass or if the wind is blowing in the right direction (think it usually has to be a tail wind). The coach is now 7 years old with 54,000 miles and the problem is no better no worse.

Hope you can find your leak.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

SVTotem is correct, the third access panel in the left closet floor is a sleeper. It is not screwed down, you just have to pry it up with a screwdriver or two. Those are the only inside access panels on the 39K. I am always pleased to see other 39K owners, there doesn't appear to be many of us on IRV2. I relish exchanging ideas/improvements/problems, etc. Haven't had the exhause leak problem yet, but I am installing the Aero Turbine 5050XL muffler next week.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

W8RLM - Bob
Just a thought - Is the exhaust tip still on the exhaust? If not exhaust fumes could be a problem if the exhaust does not extend beyond the body.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I too have a 39k but itasca

I have not had the exhaust smell yet but have had my access panels open often trying to get the radiator cleaned. Make sure that the gaskets for the access are in place. It is not hard to miss that.The exhaust tip does need to be checked. I was replacing my tip with a new one and found my old one totally rusted out underneath.

Maybe we should start our own 39k thread.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

On my 2006 Journey with the sleep number air bed option, at the location of the air pump (found in the spot behind the bottom of the three drawers on the drivers side nightstand) there is a hole where the power wiring comes up through the floor. to run the mattress pump. Often times, this hole is not sealed at all because in theory the mattress's air pump should be sitting on it. On mine it was not. It was a direct opening down to the air directly above the muffler. You could see where there had been intrusion of air by the amount of dust found on the carpet around the hole.

I would also check to see if the engine cover panels are properly re-installed and the rubber gaskets are all in place. Sometimes if the cover is bolted down to tight, you could have bent the panel and getting an air leak along one side or corner that way.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The one entry point everyone is missing here is the rear A/C riser duct that is notorious for leaking. When this starts happening, someone needs to take their calibrated nose end check not only the ceiling outlets, but the A/C inlet as well located in the back, in my case, under the curbside nightstand. There is also the area under the bed, way down that is an entry point for cabling from the inverter to the batteries, etc., that may not be properly sealed.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I was out on a campout and did not have internet access, so I couldn't post a reply before now.

I found a hole in the exhaust pipe that goes from the turbo to the muffler. It is just above the joint with the muffler - rusted through. I'll get the pipe replaced, and that should solve it. I was able to find it by going through the access cover under the bed.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help. The forum is very valuable.

Safe Travels
W8RLM - Bob

Tags
journey