Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2006 Itasca Meridian

We just got our RV out for the season and none of our electrical outlets work. We reset the ones that have a GFI switch and we checked and reset all the breakers but nothing has helped. Not sure if anyone has ever experience this problem and might be able to give some advice - before we take it in to a repair shop.

Thanks in advance!
ksan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Need a bit more info to help diagnose...

1) Are you plugged in to shore power or on generator? The outlets are 120v of course. Have you tried it both ways (on shore, on gen)?

2) Do you have 12v (interior lights etc?)

3) Have you checked the "salesman switch"?

4) Have you checked the breakers on your inverter?
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your reply:

We are on the generator (shore power not avail).

Yes we have 12v (interior lights work)

We don't know what a "salesman switch" it??

We have not checked the inverter breakers - but we have not had the inverter on.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ok, so some answers and some thoughts...

The 'salesman switch' is the switch (usually by the front door) that cuts off all house power to the coach. Usually used for long-term storage. Since you have 12v house lights then that isn't the issue.

If you were not running on the gen, then to get 120v AC your inverter would have to be "on" and drawing power from the batteries. Since you are using your gen, it's not involved either.

So now it comes down to... is your gen running ok and producing 120v, and/or is something blocking it getting to your plugs.

On your One Place utility panel in the coach, does it show the gen running and power coming in (i.e. is the "gen set" light on and/or does it show amperage?) If so, then AC is getting that far. If not, then you need to work back from there. The gen itself has circuit breakers... check them. Check any error codes on the gen's display panel. Possibly the Automatic Transfer Switch isn't working properly, but that's a bit harder to diagnose. (The ATS is what switches the coach from shore power to gen.)

If the panel shows "gen set" then power is getting that far, and the issue is downstream, perhaps the 120v circuit breakers. You have said no power to plugs... do you have AC anywhere? Does the microwave work? How about the basement air? Electric water heater?
Old 04-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Well, guess what! You are going to laugh at us....but we had the coach in for service and just realized that the there is a 30 amp on the generator and it had been tripped. I re-set it and now we have electricity and air. I don't know if that would be something the mechanic would have disconnected or what, but now we have gen set lights on the panel and everything works. I really appreciate your tenacity in trying to help us, and from your info you gave us we have learned even more. Have had the rig 10 years and it's always a learning experience.

Thank you so much!!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Nope, never laughing. Everyone, myself included, has those "duh" moments with RVs. Complicated systems with many things that can go wrong. Live and learn.

Glad you resolved your issue. Happy travels.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don't Cha just LOVE it when a seemingly major problem turns out to be simple? I hope for those every time!
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Don't feel bad.....same thing happened to me. I must have tapped it when going a gen service or turning it on at the gen set..... Bob 07 Journey 36 g
WinneNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca